Old 08-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 257 Times in 148 Posts
Default Moving on from the windmill drill

I've been struggling to not start my pull to early/strong arm it. I know I do it, can't stop myself.

So now I'm back at the windmill drill. I even resorted to throwing all of my on course tee shots using windmill for one round last week.

And I'm getting some results with the drill itself. Starting to identify that "pull" feeling in the triceps that I think is me getting into the power pocket. Put a Hatchet out flat and without effort to 300' this morning. I think I need to be able to do that consistently before I really move on, but the question is how will I move on?

Because I've gotten that feeling, and then go right back to strong arming the pull when I'm not doing that drill. And it's not super obvious to me how it really translates into an X step or even a one step.

Maybe it will all magically resolve once I do the windmill enough times? IDK.

Anybody know whereof I speak?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2020, 05:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,913 Times in 2,385 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=91096

Niced: (1)
Old 08-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 257 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Thanks, sw. Much appreciated.

I found that this video definitely clicked for me:

All of the advice about moving around the disc felt counter productive for me. When I drill the style of swing in that video, I can see that I do "leave the disc in place", but actually trying to "move around the disc" just leaves me with no "stretch" or "loading". Maybe that is just me, but concentrating more on the timing of the disc as part of the overall swing seems to get me better results.

Now my miss is a "late" release (emphasis on the quotes part of that) instead of early. I think it has something to with the angle and stagger of my front foot when I put it down. (Again, I think) If I don't get my hips angled almost 45 when I set my foot down, and my foot a little pointed heel to target, I end up with a release line to the right of my intended target. Not sure if that is symptom (delayed foot plant, hips opening early, bad timing, etc.) or cause, or maybe a little of both.

I don't think it is grip lock, in fact these feel like some of my best drives, just off my intended line.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-17-2020, 12:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 566 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post

Now my miss is a "late" release (emphasis on the quotes part of that) instead of early. I think it has something to with the angle and stagger of my front foot when I put it down. (Again, I think) If I don't get my hips angled almost 45 when I set my foot down, and my foot a little pointed heel to target, I end up with a release line to the right of my intended target. Not sure if that is symptom (delayed foot plant, hips opening early, bad timing, etc.) or cause, or maybe a little of both.

I don't think it is grip lock, in fact these feel like some of my best drives, just off my intended line.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...0&postcount=10

And here is the summary