Old 09-11-2020, 02:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 76
Niced 174 Times in 128 Posts
Default Form for Soft Backhands

For some background first:
I throw a backhand putter (PA1 or Harp) in the 275 range for comfortable distance accuracy. At 250 I feel comfortable throwing a putter backhand with most any flight accurately.

Now the issues come when I try to throw a putter backhand on a 100 to 220 foot shot. I am very very inaccurate and inconsistent. Sometimes I can get around this by just throwing normal hard but aiming lower, more hyzer, or a higher hyzer line. I feel like there is a better way to do this. What form changes do you make to throw shorter than driving distance? I have tried stand stills and fan grips with the exact same issues. I know this could be fixed by standing in a field and throwing for hours, maybe. But I would have no clue HOW I should work to be more accurate at short distances. What are the form differences to stay accurate but throw shorter?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2020, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,572 Times in 783 Posts

I struggle with the same thing, but more in the 90-150 range. I mask all of these issues by relying on my forehand upshot game.

A little more seriously: are you throwing the PA1 and harp for those shots too? They seem really overstable for backhand approaches. I have a beat challenger I use for most backhand shots under 200', it's a tick lighter and worn in. I also have been throwing challengers for eons it seems like (less in the last year due to never leaving a good thing alone) so I feel super comfortable ranging those shots with that disc.

Technique wise, I almost always use a stand still and reach back way less. Allow more of an arm/wrist delivery, just to spin it out there. Obviously using a stable to overstable disc on a hyzer line is going to be more predictable but I don't think that's the issue at the heart of it. It's also not the right answer in a lot of situations on the course.

Practice wise, I play a game of bocce with upshots. Don't even need a target. Throw your 'chase' disc, then try to replicate that exact line and distance, the goal being to make the narrowest spread of discs at a certain distance. 20 or so throws a day like that, for a couple weeks, and I bet you're going to be way more comfortable.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-11-2020, 03:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 76
Niced 174 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I struggle with the same thing, but more in the 90-150 range. I mask all of these issues by relying on my forehand upshot game.

A little more seriously: are you throwing the PA1 and harp for those shots too? They seem really overstable for backhand approaches. I have a beat challenger I use for most backhand shots under 200', it's a tick lighter and worn in. I also have been throwing challengers for eons it seems like (less in the last year due to never leaving a good thing alone) so I feel super comfortable ranging those shots with that disc.

Technique wise, I almost always use a stand still and reach back way less. Allow more of an arm/wrist delivery, just to spin it out there. Obviously using a stable to overstable disc on a hyzer line is going to be more predictable but I don't think that's the issue at the heart of it. It's also not the right answer in a lot of situations on the course.

Practice wise, I play a game of bocce with upshots. Don't even need a target. Throw your 'chase' disc, then try to replicate that exact line and distance, the goal being to make the narrowest spread of discs at a certain distance. 20 or so throws a day like that, for a couple weeks, and I bet you're going to be way more comfortable.
That is good advice.

My main PA1 is 4-5 years old so it is starting to be understable. My main Harp is around 2 years old and it has a slight hair of turn. I also rely on my forehand approach game as well. But some shots are just hard to mimick with a forehand. Usually if it is less than 275 I try to go forehand if I can.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,572 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
But some shots are just hard to mimick with a forehand.
Idk, I think if your forehand is good enough you can shape a lot of short shots that are harder to execute when thrown backhand. Of course, this is just my experience - and I do have the ability to hyzer flip comets out to 230ish forehand. I don't think a lot of people have that tool so I feel pretty lucky I can rely on my forehand for literally everything under 200'. That's a bit off topic though.

I really have to try to work on the backhand in that range. I can throw both power grip and fan grip depending on how much I need to control landing angle. For a few months this year I couldn't throw forehands due to a shoulder problem, but in the last week or two I've gotten it back, and lost a lot of touch in that short range that I actually was dialing in for a bit. For me, it goes really quickly, while the short forehand game I can pick up at any time like I never stopped using it.

Last edited by VictorB; 09-11-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Niced 352 Times in 218 Posts

Just today I was visiting MindBodyDisc again and found this one: https://mindbodydisc.com/disc-golf-up-shot-technique/

Niced: (1)
Old 09-11-2020, 05:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 353 Times in 208 Posts

Just watched this solid fan grip tutorial by MJ:

https://youtu.be/RYA7lAfvup0

I practice quite a bit throwing putters with the fan grip like he describes.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-11-2020, 05:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 353 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
Just today I was visiting MindBodyDisc again and found this one: https://mindbodydisc.com/disc-golf-up-shot-technique/

Nice post really like that one.

Why putter do you throw for upshots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2020, 05:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,482 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
Now the issues come when I try to throw a putter backhand on a 100 to 220 foot shot. I am very very inaccurate and inconsistent. Sometimes I can get around this by just throwing normal hard but aiming lower, more hyzer, or a higher hyzer line. I feel like there is a better way to do this. What form changes do you make to throw shorter than driving distance?
Clearly your problem is you throw too dang far. I have managed to avoid that problem.

Have you tried throwing more nose-up on your approach shots? Think of how you would throw if playing catch or freestyle, almost an air bounce that does a floaty stall right by your throwing partner. Short reach back, minimal weight shift, try to get the disc to hang in the air for your partner to do a trick catch.

If that works for you, then you just play catch with the basket on short upshots. Give the disc a chance to go in, and then it just falls out of the air.

Best way to practice this is playing catch, which is a lot more fun than field work.

Good luck!

Niced: (2)

Last edited by Monocacy; 09-11-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:53 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 33
Niced 590 Times in 234 Posts

I agree with the nose up anhyzer shot that can be chain high and then drop. Great catch shot to use, because you don't want to kill the guy you're playing catch with. Hyzers at that distance with a putter require some solid touch to keep the ground play to a minimum.

Niced: (3)

Old 09-11-2020, 08:37 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 122 Times in 75 Posts

This vid was very helpful for me. I dropped 4-5 strokes when I heard the hand above the elbow, look at the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzGm...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by seedlings; 09-11-2020 at 08:40 PM.