Old 09-21-2020, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,520 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
No, but it helps me keep things simpler and not trying every disc on the market (I've been known to do that in the past far too much)
This is exactly what I do. Stick to just one brand because it makes things so much simpler. The only real reason I picked DC is because its sort of a local manufacturer (Michigan) I don't feel like I need to learn all these different molds and plastics. Gotta keep it as simple as possible cause I ain't real bright.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-22-2020, 01:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 14
Niced 55 Times in 33 Posts

I just got an old stamped esp Buzzz in a trade (feels weird saying old stamped, but the circle stamp from a few years back...) and I checked the PLH on that disc vs some newer swirly ESP and wow....they're almost different molds! I'm surprised at how much more OS they've become, especially considering the flight numbers still suggest more neutral/understable. Anyone else find this?
Old 09-22-2020, 07:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,267 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Gotta keep it as simple as possible cause I ain't real bright.
I thought you were a rocket scientist?????

just kidding hahahaha

Old 09-23-2020, 12:46 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 354 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
The Z Surge I picked up is useless as a distance driver for me. Flies a lot more like an overstable C-PD, straight into the wind with a hefty fade. I'll be sticking with hurricanes because if I can't grab one off the shelf and have it fly decent, it's just another that I'll be trying to chase online for the flight/plastic I want.
I am guessing a Crank is too flippy for you? Are you against trying Vulture a long fairway driver? I am gaining more and more confidence with my Vultures this season.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:15 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 140 Times in 97 Posts

How does JB plastic break in? Does it warp easily or is a little tougher?
Old 09-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,095 Times in 420 Posts

Checked out a local DG specialty shop today. Almost no Discraft available. Was hoping to score an X-Comet but turns out our local shop back home has had more luck with DC than down here.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:33 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 342 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Checked out a local DG specialty shop today. Almost no Discraft available. Was hoping to score an X-Comet but turns out our local shop back home has had more luck with DC than down here.
Yeah local shops have been super dry for me too. Infinite and hyzer farm have gotten me through these times the most lately.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2020, 11:19 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 209
Niced 39 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
How does JB plastic break in? Does it warp easily or is a little tougher?
In my experience it wears fairly well, I have been using the same JB Banger GT as my main driving/approach putter for three years. It started with a decent fade and now is dead straight at 80% power. I would say it's more durable than Pro D and X, but not quite as tough as ESP.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 947 Times in 731 Posts
Default Zone

I figured out today that I really love the Z Zone. McBeth 5X. First off, the disc is beautiful, and the plastic looks very rugged/durable.

More importantly, the Zone is like the Swiss army knife of discs. It can be used for a multitude of purposes. I found it most useful for tee shots on short holes. Before, I would try to throw mids at like 60% power or a putter at 100%. That led to inconsistency. I would tend to underthrow the mids, and overthrow the putter. The Zone solved this problem. I throw the Zone at 100% power and it does the same thing every time. Horrible glide (perfect), no turn (also perfect), and it lands softly and stops. No skipping or bad rolls.

Today was the first time I'd ever thrown a Zone, and it immediately passed the initial tryout and became a member of my bag. Very consistent mid/putter that can be smashed hard and not even show a hint of high speed turn. It glides poorly, so it won't float off on you. Very consistent overstability. All I was doing was hammering the Zone right of the hole and it would fade reliably back every time.

The Zone works poorly for putting. I don't recommend using it for that. The disc is too overstable and glideless for putting, and everything I tried kept coming up short.

Great disc. In the hand it feels like a putter, but it throws like a mid. I will bag the Zone for the foreseeable future.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 342 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I figured out today that I really love the Z Zone. McBeth 5X. First off, the disc is beautiful, and the plastic looks very rugged/durable.

More importantly, the Zone is like the Swiss army knife of discs. It can be used for a multitude of purposes. I found it most useful for tee shots on short holes. Before, I would try to throw mids at like 60% power or a putter at 100%. That led to inconsistency. I would tend to underthrow the mids, and overthrow the putter. The Zone solved this problem. I throw the Zone at 100% power and it does the same thing every time. Horrible glide (perfect), no turn (also perfect), and it lands softly and stops. No skipping or bad rolls.

Today was the first time I'd ever thrown a Zone, and it immediately passed the initial tryout and became a member of my bag. Very consistent mid/putter that can be smashed hard and not even show a hint of high speed turn. It glides poorly, so it won't float off on you. Very consistent overstability. All I was doing was hammering the Zone right of the hole and it would fade reliably back every time.

The Zone works poorly for putting. I don't recommend using it for that. The disc is too overstable and glideless for putting, and everything I tried kept coming up short.

Great disc. In the hand it feels like a putter, but it throws like a mid. I will bag the Zone for the foreseeable future.
I like the zone for putting in high winds situations only. Also the zone is the best forehand approach disc on the market.