Old 09-24-2020, 06:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 54
Niced 84 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
You're in the medical field, if you don't mind I'd like your thoughts on this. I've seen reports where if someone passes away that has covid along with any other underlying issue, it's counted as a covid death. Do you agree with this? Also...do you know of any reliable site to visit that has statistics on covid deaths? Getting harder to filter through all the bs. Thx.
The question should be "If there were no covid how many of these 200,000 people would be dead?"
Also, are covid depression suicides counted if the person is not infected?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by peabody; 09-24-2020 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,155 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
The question should be "If there were no covid how many of these 200,000 people would be dead?"
Also, are covid depression suicides counted if the person is not infected?
A better question might be, "How many people have died in the last six covid-struck months, who wouldn't have died in a normal year?"

Old 09-24-2020, 08:29 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 321 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
That's a question that no one seems to want to answer. In my state 60% of deaths were in long term care homes. You're typically not in long term care because you're in good health. How many of the people who died of Covid were a case of the flu or some other respiratory illness away from dying. Any death is obviously very tragic, but it's still relevant from a policy making standpoint.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,116 Times in 1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
You're in the medical field, if you don't mind I'd like your thoughts on this. I've seen reports where if someone passes away that has covid along with any other underlying issue, it's counted as a covid death. Do you agree with this? Also...do you know of any reliable site to visit that has statistics on covid deaths? Getting harder to filter through all the bs. Thx.
I also think this is a great question. There are a couple good posts below that highlight how, many people die of complications caused by COVID.

Most people die of the same few body system failures. Some disease process causes the heart, lungs, kidneys or liver to fail. This ultimately causes the heart to stop and brain activity to cease.

COVID does not attack the heart, causing death. With nearly every disease process, the body has a natural response. Having multiple other deficits, depletes the ability of the body to muster a robust response. The body has less resources to do it's job well. So, the body simply begins to lose the fight against this aggressive infection. Parts start to wear down and their function begins to fail. There are many times when the lungs can no longer continue to supply the brain and organs with the proper oxygen. Kidneys start to fail to clean the nitrogenous waste from the blood and balance the electrolytes in the system...

COVID is often the mechanism of death. Much as a car crash. A crash can cause a traumatic brain injury, causing death. What do you think the cause of death should indicate? Most people dying of COVID, indeed have one of more other problems, but few of them would be dying from those, if not for COVID.

I think some people are dying at home without a COVID test. I think many people are having a comorbidity listed as a cause of death, when COVID is present. In my clinical opinion, COVID is likely under reported.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,285 Times in 643 Posts

How about we just look at it like this:

Covid sucks. It may or not be as bad as whatever numbers you are reading are. We all should be able to agree that it's definitely not good. World powers wouldn't have locked down their countries for fun. Massive companies wouldn't have just locked up on a whim. People far more important than us are making decisions based on the discretion of people far smarter than them. I might not trust individual people, or the numbers, but I trust the anecdotal evidence.

If we all just worked together, it could be gone, and this would be a moot point. But here we are. And as some people in this thread have made abundantly clear, a lot of people are flat out ignorant, and that's not changing anytime soon. So here we are.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
That's a question that no one seems to want to answer. In my state 60% of deaths were in long term care homes. You're typically not in long term care because you're in good health. How many of the people who died of Covid were a case of the flu or some other respiratory illness away from dying. Any death is obviously very tragic, but it's still relevant from a policy making standpoint.
This is not right. Many live for years in long term care facilities. You cannot calculate how many would have died from flu or other respiratory illness.

It is much more likely to predict if they would have died without a COVID virus.

Some of the people in these facilities would have likely died, without COVID, within a prescribed time period. But, the fact would remain, the death was most certainly caused by the virus.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 242 Times in 119 Posts

It is called LONG TERM care. It is right there in the title that they aren't expecting people to die right away.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-24-2020, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
It is called LONG TERM care. It is right there in the title that they aren't expecting people to die right away.
Lol. Most extended care facilities have a few services offered. One is long term care, often they have a rehab component and sometimes have a hospice area.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,155 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
How about we just look at it like this:

Covid sucks. It may or not be as bad as whatever numbers you are reading are. We all should be able to agree that it's definitely not good. World powers wouldn't have locked down their countries for fun. Massive companies wouldn't have just locked up on a whim. People far more important than us are making decisions based on the discretion of people far smarter than them. I might not trust individual people, or the numbers, but I trust the anecdotal evidence.

If we all just worked together, it could be gone, and this would be a moot point. But here we are. And as some people in this thread have made abundantly clear, a lot of people are flat out ignorant, and that's not changing anytime soon. So here we are.
Well, it wouldn't be gone. But there'd be vastly less damage, to people and families and the economy and our lives in general.

Niced: (3)

Old 09-24-2020, 09:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,285 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Well, it wouldn't be gone. But there'd be vastly less damage, to people and families and the economy and our lives in general.
You don't think if the entire population embraced the idea of "we are in this together", took precautions seriously, we couldn't have beat it by now? It's spreading like it is because a good part of our population doesn't give a $hit. Maybe you are right though. We can't really know for sure. I certainly agree that even if it wasn't gone, the damages could have been SIGNIFICANTLY less.

Niced: (1)