Old 09-23-2020, 07:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,547 Times in 737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
I've played Crooked Creek a few times and agree that 4.5 is unfounded. I like the course. I might just have to review it to get that rating normalized some more.
I was debating playing this one next week. We'll see how it plays out. It's a little further out of the way of anything.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2020, 08:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 117
Niced 882 Times in 413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I was debating playing this one next week. We'll see how it plays out. It's a little further out of the way of anything.
It's basically a fun little 9. The two tee locations mostly add distance and slight angle changes. About three holes are changed more than that. I played it because it's mostly flat and not too long as I'm dealing with some medical issues that make playing courses like Moraine out of the question right now. With reasonable expectations it would hopefully be enjoyable.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-23-2020, 09:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 33
Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Are you in the Pittsburgh area for a limited time?
Old 09-23-2020, 10:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beable View Post
Are you in the Pittsburgh area for a limited time?
Yeah. 2 and a half days. I'll be playing all the obvious must plays, but was thinking of this one if I have extra time.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 33
Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Yeah. 2 and a half days. I'll be playing all the obvious must plays, but was thinking of this one if I have extra time.
Cool. Covid does change things a little. I've driven past Schenley on a weekend day recently and it was packed. Too packed for my comfort with social distancing. One advantage of Crooked Creek is that you will have space from others.

Without Covid, I'd say the must plays in the area are Deer Lakes, Moraine, and No Boundary (playing solo at No Boundary can be hard though, there are some blind shots). I also really enjoy Two Mile Run Extension which, in my opinion, is a great nine hole course. It feels like Moraine but on a smaller scale. My wife and I played 2MRX a few weeks ago in the middle of the day on a Sunday and it was empty. Really good social distancing disc golf. Some other locals would add Linbrook to the must plays. I haven't played there often enough to say.

Knob Hill will probably be crowded. Deer Lakes has not been crowded. Haven't played Moraine for awhile.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

I was planning on all you mentioned except Two mile. Schenely is last in line of those. Was thinking maybe Sugar Creek and Cripple Creek if time allows over Schenely. I'll look up Two Mile when I get home. I'm sure I could squeeze that in too. Thanks for the info 👍
Old 09-24-2020, 10:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 27
Niced 50 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Just post an honest and fair review, for the sake of the next potential visitor. In the long run, inflated reviews draw people who will then give more mainline reviews, and the course rating will correct itself by consensus.
Over time this works, but it sucks when you are the one who gets suckered into playing a mediocre to poor course over other better options due to inflated B.S. ratings. I learned very early on that the ratings on Disc Golf Scene were absolutely skewed and not worth a damn after playing some absolutely garbage courses that were rated B or B+. It doesn't happen often here thank goodness.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,145 Times in 2,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstopper View Post
Over time this works, but it sucks when you are the one who gets suckered into playing a mediocre to poor course over other better options due to inflated B.S. ratings. I learned very early on that the ratings on Disc Golf Scene were absolutely skewed and not worth a damn after playing some absolutely garbage courses that were rated B or B+. It doesn't happen often here thank goodness.
Take courses that only have a few reviews, with a few grains of salt.

Or maybe a handful of salt.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 101
Niced 845 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post

It wasn't till I started getting around MI and the surrounding states, that I realized:"Hudson Mills is pretty good... but maybe it ain't quite a 4.0." In fact, now that I've seen a bit more, perhaps I've been a tad generous with some of my local courses."

This pretty much nailed it for me too. I don't think it's enough to just play a 'bunch' of courses, but rather a range of courses of differing quality.

I held off on writing reviews until I had a chance to play some real quality courses. My perspective changed drastically after going to Bailey.

One thing that should never happen though is slanting a review to bring a rating average up or down based on what you think it should be. Give an honest review and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 460
Niced 1,314 Times in 410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
This pretty much nailed it for me too. I don't think it's enough to just play a 'bunch' of courses, but rather a range of courses of differing quality.

I held off on writing reviews until I had a chance to play some real quality courses. My perspective changed drastically after going to Bailey.

One thing that should never happen though is slanting a review to bring a rating average up or down based on what you think it should be. Give an honest review and let the chips fall where they may.

Several of my early reviews i'd score a good half point lower today, but there are also a couple that i'd rate higher because my preferences have changed, and continues to evolve. My perspective really didn't solidify until after I moved away from Florida and crossed into the 250 courses played range. by that mark, I had played a good number of both garbage courses to trophy winners, but another big key was that I had also hit several different regions now too. I think its fair to say that the more and more courses one plays, the more honed in their evaluation of a course will be, but playing numerous regions far and wide is a big eye opener as well.

Niced: (4)