Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Will you be buying a live stream package for this event?
Yes 27 16.88%
No 133 83.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2020, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,579 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Seems utterly counterproductive to chisel nickels and dimes out of the tiny fanbase you are working with.
On point! This is taking advantage of a small market that is hungry for content. This is not trying to grow the viewer base at all, it's simply taking advantage of...us.

I'm big on supporting the pro side of the sport, anyone know if they are putting any of these funds toward increasing payout?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2020, 12:33 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 342 Times in 172 Posts

It's not being cheap it's about not paying for something that you've always have gotten for free. I'm the kinda of person who hates paying for something that I can get it cheaper or even free. That's why I don't buy coffee on the way into work because I know I have free coffee there. Yes I want a cup on my way in but on days that I don't make it in the morning I can wait for the free cup at work. I'll wait for the free USDGC coverage.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,572 Times in 783 Posts

On a related note - it seems like this exact same conversation and thread pop up any time people have to pay to watch coverage. Everyone wants more and better coverage, but ain't nobody wanna pay for it. I've come to the conclusion that 90% of disc golfers are just cheap and will complain about anything related to costs unless it's discs or equipment. Yes, Billy, I see you in the back with your delta cart and 3 2015 sexton firebirds, talking **** about how much this coverage will cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
It's not being cheap it's about not paying for something that you've always have gotten for free.
lmao you think any of this is actually free? or you just think it's free because it's on youtube? how quaint. There are a ton of costs involved that we as viewers don't see.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,135 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Comparing the business plan of major movie studios and viewership numbers with disc golf is myopic, at best. Though I know, this not really your point.

If the intent here is to put money in someones pocket, compared to growing the game...all good. One more reason for me to decline.

I say this is biting the hand that feeds you.
To be fair, I am talking about monetization of viewers in general. Not the USDGC specifically. I have no input into the USDGC decisions.

But yes, the entire point of live and post production is to put money in SOMEONE'S pocket. And hopefully that money will be spent on improving and growing the purses, tour, events, etc. IF asking someone to pony up some money for something that someone else worked so hard on is "biting the hand that feeds". Then I am all for it. I happily pay for things I enjoy.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
On point! This is taking advantage of a small market that is hungry for content. This is not trying to grow the viewer base at all, it's simply taking advantage of...us.

I'm big on supporting the pro side of the sport, anyone know if they are putting any of these funds toward increasing payout?
You say "taking advantage of" I say "supply and demand". There is TENS OF THOUSANDS of hours of content on YouTube related to Disc Golf if people just want to watch. Live coverage & paywalls are monetizing the people that want to watch current events NOW. Or for some reason don't want to wait 2 weeks. There is a value in that. There is no reason why someone shouldn't try and recoup the money they are investing to provide coverage.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:49 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 304 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
But what are we really losing from them? What good are eyeballs if they don't turn into some sort of monetary reward.
A lot of good, actually. The money is in advertising, not PPV sales. Advertisers only care about one thing, how many eyeballs you got on your event. Okay they also care about the demographics of those eyeballs, but they really DON'T care if those eyeballs paid to watch. It is just like building up your startup company with net loss subscribers so you can sell it to a large brand based on your book of business. You need to take your losses building up your book so you can sell that book for profit.

There are three things that can give you a strong PPV audience. A strong central brand, a recurring schedule of good content, and a structure that makes individual events meaningful. The UFC is a great example of this. They built the brand synonymous with MMA, they have regular PPV events (on top of many free events for casuals), and they build a championship narrative into each individual event. You can mix up this formula if one aspect is particularly strong. Boxing is an example of this. Mayweather can bring in millions of dollars with his personal brand; the brand is so strong you don't need the other two aspects.

The USDGC has none of the three things going for it. It has a brand, but that brand has never been weaker inside the disc golf community, and the brand is nonexistent outside the community. The USDGC has ONE event. DGPT has multiple events to sell off of, nobody is paying a premium for the USDGC's single event. And the USDGC champion has never been less important. There was a time when saying you were the reigning USDGC champion held water, but that hasn't been the case for years. For the USDGC to step up with their underwhelming attributes and try to charge the highest single event PPV price in the disc golf world... that is not a recipe for success.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,579 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
You say "taking advantage of" I say "supply and demand". There is TENS OF THOUSANDS of hours of content on YouTube related to Disc Golf if people just want to watch. Live coverage & paywalls are monetizing the people that want to watch current events NOW. Or for some reason don't want to wait 2 weeks. There is a value in that. There is no reason why someone shouldn't try and recoup the money they are investing to provide coverage.
As a monthly DGPT subscriber I'm surely not against paying to watch disc golf. But just because you have an active base that is hungry for content doesn't mean you should take advantage of them. I have no doubt..the person that is willing to spend $5.00 to watch this is just as likely to spend $20.00 to watch it and the people behind this absolutely know this. That is the definition of taking advantage. The disc and the $5.00 store credit is another profit grab, hiding it around the "player pack" mentality. I'm definitely not a fan of forced profits.

The right thing to do imop is add another tier for around 5-10 that is just the live dvr stream and allow discounts for pdga members. Those that want to pay more and get all the goodies can do so with the other tiers.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:01 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 710
Niced 2,556 Times in 1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
A lot of good, actually. The money is in advertising, not PPV sales. Advertisers only care about one thing, how many eyeballs you got on your event. Okay they also care about the demographics of those eyeballs, but they really DON'T care if those eyeballs paid to watch. It is just like building up your startup company with net loss subscribers so you can sell it to a large brand based on your book of business. You need to take your losses building up your book so you can sell that book for profit.

There are three things that can give you a strong PPV audience. A strong central brand, a recurring schedule of good content, and a structure that makes individual events meaningful. The UFC is a great example of this. They built the brand synonymous with MMA, they have regular PPV events (on top of many free events for casuals), and they build a championship narrative into each individual event. You can mix up this formula if one aspect is particularly strong. Boxing is an example of this. Mayweather can bring in millions of dollars with his personal brand; the brand is so strong you don't need the other two aspects.

The USDGC has none of the three things going for it. It has a brand, but that brand has never been weaker inside the disc golf community, and the brand is nonexistent outside the community. The USDGC has ONE event. DGPT has multiple events to sell off of, nobody is paying a premium for the USDGC's single event. And the USDGC champion has never been less important. There was a time when saying you were the reigning USDGC champion held water, but that hasn't been the case for years. For the USDGC to step up with their underwhelming attributes and try to charge the highest single event PPV price in the disc golf world... that is not a recipe for success.
Their money, their brand, their risk.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post

Actually, this is the same price that the Memorial charged in 2010. $20. Back then there was also a 50% discount for something or other, I honestly don't recall. And I think this is close to what USDGC charged in 2011?

I don't know what the USDGC will designate as a success. Last year they had 2300 subs with free next day post. If they get 3000 this year with everything being behind a paywall will that be a success? I don't know what they are looking for.

Niced: (2)

Old 09-24-2020, 01:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,131 Times in 1,458 Posts

Quote:
To be fair, I am talking about monetization of viewers in general. Not the USDGC specifically. I have no input into the USDGC decisions.

But yes, the entire point of live and post production is to put money in SOMEONE'S pocket. And hopefully that money will be spent on improving and growing the purses, tour, events, etc. IF asking someone to pony up some money for something that someone else worked so hard on is "biting the hand that feeds". Then I am all for it. I happily pay for things I enjoy.
Hmmmm....I thought, in previous discussions, you were a proponent of live and post video coverage, because that was how the sport would grow. I could be wrong.