Old 09-24-2014, 08:02 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default feedback on bag + suggestions

This is my first year playing regularly. I used to play once or twice a year with my cousin. He gave me his revolution bag when he upgraded. I have acquired a few discs from him and a couple buddies of his and I bought some (probably have more than I need). I throw backhand (can't flick) about 300 feet consistent with a driver. Here's what I have just looking for opinions

168 g star mamba
170 (something) nuke ss z plastic
(2) 170 ace race discs from this year (love them)
170 star leopard
170 echo star roadrunner
167 star tern
175 g star daedalus
170 champion mamba
175 champion monarch
170 dx beast (found with no name on it)
173-174 buzz flx
173-174 buzz esp
180 roc
175 g star aviar putter
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 9 Posts

300 ft with a driver? Which one? Your bag is pretty heavily weighted towards drivers, which ones do you throw accurately, consistently?

Well, you asked for an opinion, so here goes. For now I would put the Mamba's Nuke, Monarch, tern and Daedalus in storage. Get another putter, you'll soon find out that one isn't enough and you'll want one for driving and approach and one for putting. If your form is decent, try getting a neutral mid (River, XL, Stalker) and maybe a Valkyrie for your longer stuff. When you can routinely get these to or past 300 and place them where you want, then take all of those other drivers out of the closet and play away.

You will learn far more and faster by playing with mids and putters. Good luck in what ever you choose to do.

Last edited by grotto; 09-24-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 102 Times in 68 Posts

My bag looked like that when I started playing. I definitely recommend the "disc down" method. You'll learn lots and your scores will improve. I would keep the leopard, stick and couple mids and a couple putters. I played this way for about a year. I had an Eagle, Leopard, Buzz, Roc and an Aviar. I was throwing my Buzz just as far as the Eagle. That told me I need to work on form. Now I'm throwing an Aviar 200-250', Buzz 250+, Roc 250+, Leo and a Teebird up 275-315. I just lately put drives back in, but nothing over a speed 9 equivalent. I throw 2-3 variations of Valkyries, a Sidewinder, and a Teebird3. In field work Ill throw others but not in rounds. This, in a years time has completely changed my game. Im still learning a lot and improving but I feel like Im on the right path.

The XL is a good choice as well, but I wouldnt put those in the mid category.

If you're throwing your drivers 300', 1) how are they flying? I feel like theres a lot of overlap in your drivers. 2) how far are you throwing your Buzzzes?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:49 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, what kind of putters are u talking about for approach shots like dx aviars? Not sure just asking. The g star mamba and the leopard I can throw around 300'.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

If you can throw your leopard as far as the mamba (take this for what its worth coming from a learner as well), but I personally would chose to put the mamba on the shelf. Thats just me though.
My putter set up is a KC Pro Aviar for drives and approach shots. I putt anything outside my comfort zone, or jump putts with a 170g super soft wizard. I chose this one because its lighter than my main putter and I can push it out further more accurately. My main putter (anything inside 20ft) is a 175g SSS wizard. And actually, i need a new KC Aviar... mine blasted a maple tree and cracked.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:55 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can throw my buzzz a little over 200' but not as accurate as I would like. My mamba I'm pretty accurate on a drive.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 9 Posts

putters are an individual taste thing, I've tried so many molds before I settled into what I use now. Putters are going to take some practice. Ask your buddies if you can throw theirs, I don't imagine there all throwing Aviars.

When I started, I used a DX Aviar and hated it! after going through all the usual suggested putters, I ended up Putting with A Yeti Aviar and driving with a Lat 64 Recycled Spike and just bought a G-star Aviar driver. Got's me a whole box of putters to play with though!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

What I might try if I was you - grab your putter, and your buzz and your leopard. Play a couple rounds with just those three and see what your score is compared to when you play with all those drivers. By discing down, you'll learn your discs much better become much more comfortable with them, and know what they'll do when you throw them. You'll also become better at working different lines with them.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto View Post
putters are an individual taste thing, I've tried so many molds before I settled into what I use now. Putters are going to take some practice. Ask your buddies if you can throw theirs, I don't imagine there all throwing Aviars.

When I started, I used a DX Aviar and hated it! after going through all the usual suggested putters, I ended up Putting with A Yeti Aviar and driving with a Lat 64 Recycled Spike and just bought a G-star Aviar driver. Got's me a whole box of putters to play with though!
This exactly. I have a tote box full of putters. Case in point - Grotto uses a Yeti Aviar and likes it. I used a Yeti Avair for a little while and I came to not like it. What one person feels comfortable with, the next person wont perform as well with. The Yeti just doesnt pop from my hand as smoothly as a wizard or aviar. I bought a bunch of Ions because they're pretty, and they worked ok for me... but wizards just work better. I do throw an Ion at night though, its the only glow putter I have that I like.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really do appreciate the feedback and definitely want to try the round with putters and mid ranges. When I mentioned the dx aviar for approach shots I was just wondering if it should be firmer plastic for approach shots. Or is that just what you feel comfortable with?