Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: What makes premium plastic?
Durability 68 63.55%
Appearance 1 0.93%
Grip 1 0.93%
All of the above 24 22.43%
Don't care, go away 13 12.15%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2016, 12:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 156 Times in 107 Posts
Default Jet fuel cant melt steel beams! (And gstar isnt premium plastic)

There you have it.

Discuss.

Every disc in gstar that I've owned, when subject to tree impact at high speed, has warped like pro or worse. Pro is not premium plastic.

So if we call gstar premium, what makes it premium? It's definitely not worthy of star association imo.

And don't get me wrong...I think gstar is great for what it is - a driver pro substitute, by and large. But what makes it worthy of the premium price other than the fact that we still buy it?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Kodachrome; 07-09-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 29
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

You still buy it.
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,645 Times in 1,316 Posts

If durability was the magic bullet of disc pricing, Champ would be more expensive than Star. They charge what they think people will buy. So long as people are buying GStar, it is what it is.
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 346 Times in 218 Posts

You're right. Gstar isn't that durable. But other brands "gstar" equivalents are so much better. Fluid and plasma to mention a couple.

I voted durability.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 670 Times in 391 Posts

I don't know that this is my experience. I have several Gstar discs that have been in and out of the bag for a number of years without warping (Destroyers, Roc3, teebird, etc). I have gotten used to the flex and it's even nice in cold weather or when I want less skip. The grip is better for me personally than star although I still bag a lot more star than Gstar. Maybe I just don't throw mine into trees quite as hard as you do koda.

As far as when defines premium, I'm going with the "I know it when I see it" answer. Is champ style plastic premium? A lot of champ has terrible grip for me, especially the older 11x champ that's prized by collectors. It's nearly indestructible but the grip is bad, the looks are often meh, and the flight tends to have less glide. But some people absolutely love it, so who am I to judge? If you throw it well then great.

In terms of whether Gstar should be associated with star and carry a premium price, well that's for business people at Innova to judge. They're going to price it as it sells and no matter how much shade Gstar gets from DGCR I think it sells quite well. I see it in lots of bags. If it sold like crap they would either discontinue it or price it lower I'm sure. Innova is definitely out to make money and they are happy to discontinue stuff that doesn't sell.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 670 Times in 391 Posts

Oh and I've thrown some driver pro that was close enough to Star that I would call it premium both in feel and durability. Not all of it for sure but some.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts

I voted "durability", but that's because I wasn't really agreeing with any of the offered choices. I think quality of materials is a factor, and that leads to price being a factor if one pays for the better quality. By definition, we're paying a 'premium' for 'premium plastic'. Grip can't be the sole answer, as DX and Pro-D often have better grip for me than premium plastics. Someone said that if durability were the only answer, Champ would be the most expensive, and that's a good point. So for me it's part durability, part how it feels in the hand (not just grip), and part price.

As to GStar, I won't beat the dead horse and rehash my dislike of it, but this thread does bring up this good point: Just because it's premium plastic does *NOT* mean it's GOOD plastic. And Mr. Dunipace's love of GStar also does not make it everyone's favorite, no matter how hard he pushes it. it is what it is... to the beholder.

Last edited by SD86; 07-09-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 16
Niced 156 Times in 107 Posts

Quality of materials has no frame of reference. I could say my girlfriend likes her vibrator because of the quality of materials and put it up on Amazon reviews but it wouldn't actually mean anything.

I think it would be interesting to hear from someone who actually has an idea of what the stuff is made from and what changes have been made.

This is why there is an all of the above option. I suppose I should combine a couple answers and offer new options such as appeance and grip, durability and grip, etc.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 882 Times in 326 Posts

I voted durability. And I throw a lot of Gstar discs even in the heat, and haven't had any issues. I have several Gstar discs that are always in my bag and get thrown many times per round, have plenty of tree smashes and are no worse for wear.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 128 Times in 92 Posts

From its inception, it has been about durability. Companies may tack on adjectives like "grippy" and the like but, from my understanding, premium plastic has been about better durability.