Old 11-22-2016, 07:57 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default The Evolution of Throwing Problems

I was thinking of my personal throwing problems while watching a buddy struggle and contemplating what additional problems I will be working through in the future that I don't realize now. He only plays when he goes with me. I gave him every disc he owns. He has probably thrown/played 7-8 times and is having early release/grip lock (compensation) problems. Thinking back, my throwing problems evolved in this order (after having a general idea of what to do):
1. Grip release issues (early vs. lock & compensation)
2. Nose up/lost distance issues
3. Nose angle vs. ground plane issues
4. Timing/weight transfer issues (ongoing)
Don't get me wrong, I still struggle some with all of these things at times. But I was wondering, after playing for a few years now, what will I realize I am having issues with now (that I will only realize looking back in a year, two, or five)????
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 473 Times in 273 Posts

For me it’s been learning to really, really, slow down the throw despite everybody saying it over and over. It’s so counter intuitive to what we are taught. If you want a ball to go far, throw it hard and fast. Not so with a disc. It’s only when you slow down that you can feel the brace, guide the disc correctly, and start to feel the snap.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 3
Niced 202 Times in 103 Posts

Wow, these two posts are so cool to me. The first post just sounds like he is describing me to a tee! And the second post also describes me. It's just so tempting to want to try to throw harder and harder to gain more distance even when I know that it's really all about form and technique. It's so interesting to hear others describe the exact same things that I have gone through.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,658 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
For me it’s been learning to really, really, slow down the throw despite everybody saying it over and over. It’s so counter intuitive to what we are taught. If you want a ball to go far, throw it hard and fast. Not so with a disc. It’s only when you slow down that you can feel the brace, guide the disc correctly, and start to feel the snap.
Fundamentally, all of the problems listed in the original post can be traced back to this.

The only part of the throw at speed is the hit. Philosophically, it's like snapping a whip. Everything is easy until the wrist flick at the end that pops the tip. A slow set up is easy to get right, simple enough.

BTW - you're wrong about throwing balls, kicking them, swinging a racket etc. In all cases, you're setting up slow and accelerating into the hit. Sometimes we don't go back far enough into the set up so the whole thing looks like it's at speed. The throw set up in disc golf looks a lot faster than it is. Same with a BG swing, a cricket swing and a BB swing. All start slow and accelerate into the hit. The pitch is the same too. Player leads with elbow, brings the forearm over, then snaps the ball.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:27 PM
* Ace Member *

A wild pitch or throw in BB is caused by pulling too hard to early. This should sound familiar. The reason PMc looks so smooth and yet is so long is possibly his baseball career. He applies the throwing philosophy to his disc throws.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 24
Niced 84 Times in 61 Posts

I can't remember back over the years at what I talked and when, but I can talk of this year. This is the first year I really tried to work on my form. First thing I made myself learn to throw with a power grip on drives and a modified power with mods and putter drives. Before I used 2 fingers under the rim. Than locked down release angles. Than worked on wrist roll. My current thing I'm trying to lock down is keepingy hand outside the disc until the hit.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 473 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
BTW - you're wrong about throwing balls, kicking them, swinging a racket etc.
You're definitely right about that. I was taught by my older brothers who didn't know anything.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

I am for sure trying to throw too fast! Thanks for that tip. I think it was Drew Gibson who said something about harnessing all of that energy into an explosion, and my brain can't seem to comprehend that the explosion needs to start off slow and easy.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 61
Niced 137 Times in 62 Posts

What I have come to realize after reading everything I could and watching everything I could, is that sometimes you're just not ready for some techniques. Things I understood just never clicked until I progressed to a point where I could implement them.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
You're definitely right about that. I was taught by my older brothers who didn't know anything.
LOL I didn't have older brothers. I had the Mickle brothers, down the street. Man were they good athletes. They taught me plenty.