Old 08-12-2010, 07:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 27.8
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

With me it's just drivers and a Zone and 2 soft magnets. I don't need anything else.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 09:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 198
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMaC View Post
That's what overstable putters are for.
True, which is what I consider the drone basically. And I don't know any other putter as overstable as the drone (and I love the low profile).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
What distances are people throwing their overstable mids? I am assuming you are doing this for approaches.
I throw my drone for 250ish shots (backhand and sidearm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
With me it's just drivers and a Zone and 2 soft magnets. I don't need anything else.
I don't throw one, but isn't a zone relatively overstable? And you obviously make it work for you chris! Different styles for all kinds of different players, even at the top!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 27.8
Courses Played: 189
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

it's an overstable putter. I use it for approaches and holes that are 120-250. Below 120 is a putt, not a throw. Over 250 I just control the distance by varying the power of different types of drivers.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 8
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've got a Gator, and I'm darn glad I do. When you need a really nice hyzer around some trees, but there's still a distance to cover, you can rip the Gator and it will hold its angle. When you need that right hook at the end of a tunnel, you can snap it and it will go really straight and then predictably hook as it finishes.

I basically think of it as a mini Wraith.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 74
Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothyfish View Post
Try this....http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...verstable+mids

Though, I don't consider a Wasp overstable...not compared to the Drone, Gator, Pig, and such. When I carried a Wasp, I hardly used my Buzzz, but that's preference.
That's more for super overstable mids, like a gator or a drone

Personally, I just use the ZBuzzz and Z Comet, wind or no wind. I've never found a wasp to do any better in the wind than a Z buzzz. If it's really gusty, I'm not going to throw a mid anyway, rather a slow overstable driver to make sure it cuts the wind and places where I want it.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 16
Niced 37 Times in 26 Posts

Once I fully eliminated the OAT from my throw earlier this year, I've found that I can execute a lot more shots with discs like my Gazelle and Core than I ever could before. I was amazed that I could throw my Core's on a 300' hyzer line and have it hold the entire way, never trying to flip to flat. Upon cleaning up my throw, I now use my Core's for most left turning shots, I just add hyzer.

I do see how some people can and will use an overstable mid. Just strokes for different folks I guess. I don't think there is anything wrong with either approach. Just two different ways to execute the same shot. Personally, I say use whichever one feels more reliable to the thrower. If YOU want to throw a drone flat for the hyzer approach shot, do it. If someone else wants to throw a Buzz/Core/Roc on a hyzer for the same shot, so be it. It's all up to the individual, just do what works best.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 137
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use the Drone extensively because I can get it to go where I want anywhere from 150-250 even in the wind. It has saved so many strokes that I have considered giving it a medal.

I believe powering down your discs is difficult and creates a larger margin of error for your throws. In powering down to get the throw you want, you have to hit that exact spot. Why don't ball golfers power down a 3-wood when they could hit with almost full power with a 5-iron? Because hitting almost full power is easier to hit than powering down.

At hole 1 at my home course in Watertown, I have thrown many discs off the tee. I have even emptied my bag at it to see what I can get discs to do. With every one of my drivers, I have parked it within 10 feet, but I have not done that consistently with any one of my drivers. I can usually get it in the circle with powering down drivers, but they are all over the place.

When I use my drone, though, I have parked the hole within 10 feet the past 7 times. Now that is consistency. There is a good player at our leagues who always powers down his teebird. He is always within the circle, but one week he will have a 30 ft putt and the next week he will have 5 foot putt. It consistently gets within the circle, but it isn't always an easy putt.

I think that it is perspective that we have to look at here. Laid back people could say that yeah, my driver did the job of your overstable mid because it routinely gets just about as close because getting 5-10 feet closer on average isn't much. People who are perfectionists would point out that getting that much closer on average makes your putts easier on every hole.

Last edited by imoser_me; 08-12-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a 178 lattitude 64 gold line core in my bag that's great when I don't want big distance but still need a solid hyzer. Simply does things my buzzz can't do.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 24
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
I have a 178 lattitude 64 gold line core in my bag that's great when I don't want big distance but still need a solid hyzer. Simply does things my buzzz can't do.
A core is not what hes talking about when he says overstable mid

However I keep at champ whippet. used for windy day approaches, <275 spike hyzers, and low line skip shots. All in all, I dont use it every round I play because I prefer approaching with wizards and rocs, however the disc will never leave my bag for those reasons.

Last edited by alexrd35; 08-13-2010 at 05:24 AM.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

The problem here is not that it's bad golf to use an overstable mid. Nate Doss does, he does ok, right?

The problem is that often (self included) an overstable mid is used to execute specific shots and the options to make those shots with other discs is never explored. We settle for point and shoot predictablilty and never learn the value of nose/hyzer angle, outside-of-the-box disc selection, and develop skills that will help us in other situations.

I've seen it where casual players reach for the Gator for a tucked basket, and don't even realize that a low sweeping hyzer is the better shot because of the landing area. Or maybe a stall hyzer, or perhaps an anny shot from the other side. They don't even know about all this nose angle/OAT stuff that we talk about. True, there are quite a range of ability levels, and some of these discs are helpful to some.

The ball golf analogy of a 3 wood to a 5 iron has some merit... but realize the reason a golfer wouldn't power down a 3 wood is that the roll at the end is too unpredicatble. The shorter shaft of the 5-iron offers control, plus the angle of the blade will launch the ball up, create more back spin, allowing a better chance for the ball to land and hold close.

When we talk of powering down drivers, it's more in the fairway catagory, not high speed. Where DGer's have an advantage over ball golfers is that we have so many more options as to release angles, trajectory, BH, BH, OH, and so on. We should use that to our advantage.

It's worth experimenting with, believe me...maybe if I lived in windy Kansas, I'd have a different opinion, but line shaping is critical on the wooded courses I play.

Last edited by toothyfish; 08-13-2010 at 07:59 AM.