Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Looking for a new control driver

In my never ending search for more discs I'm looking for a new driver. I have a ton of faster drivers and I have some slower more controllable drivers, now I am looking for something in between. I'm looking for something around speed 9, great glide, and fairly straight flight that will always fade back. Right now just based on numbers I have been looking at the Latitide 64 Striker, Gateway Apache, Discraft Stalker, and the Innova SL. Right now I throw between 275 and 325 depending on the disc and how good my throw is (I throw a Teebird on average 300' if that helps more). I have never actually thrown or see anybody throw any of these, and hope you guys can lend your opinions so that I can make the right decision.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts

Valk will probably win the popular vote. BillnChristy will whore himself out for some Lat 64 disc. I'm going to go with the douchebag response of, "Well, I use a midrange for a control driver."

But seriously try out a Valk, and if you want to make sure of no turnover worries try its cousin the Viking. The Gateway Sabre I had for a little while felt like a faster TeeBird to me, might be an option.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Valk will probably win the popular vote. BillnChristy will whore himself out for some Lat 64 disc. I'm going to go with the douchebag response of, "Well, I use a midrange for a control driver."

But seriously try out a Valk, and if you want to make sure of no turnover worries try its cousin the Viking. The Gateway Sabre I had for a little while felt like a faster TeeBird to me, might be an option.
I've tried most of the more popular discs: Valkyrie, OLF, Viking, etc; I'm looking for something else. In all honesty I don't really need a new disc, but when I get paid i always buy 2 or 3 new discs I've never thrown before to try out.

Edit: I've been reading this site just long enough to get a chuckle out of your post. Lots of familiar faces in threads like these

Last edited by springy101; 08-04-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 54 Times in 32 Posts

I like my Stalker and it's slowly taking over the place of my Teebird. I've seen people say it's not as stable as the Teebird, but I can't say that I agree. I've been throwing a teebird for a while and got the Stalker only just recently, but I find the Stalker actually harder to turn-over than the Teebird and I'd say they both have about the same amount of fade and glide. Basically, this means I can power it 100% completely flat and not worry about it going right and it will stay flat and on that line for a very long time. This is really the most important aspect that I look for in mid-ranges and fairway drivers because those are the discs I use to shoot gaps or hit narrow fairways.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 AM

Well if you're Mr. Outside the Box guy (I'm one of them) then the Discmania CD is for you. The CD stands for control driver. I personally like my JLS. I hear if you get a Striker, BillnChristy will do unmentionable things to you in an alley way.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased a stalker, and it throws nearly dead straight RHBH no matter how hard I throw it... unless I hang it in the air (like all discs will fade left in this situation). When I throw it RHFH I have to take a bit off of it, or throw a hyzer flip to keep it from drifting off to the left. It is a very domey disc with a large radius, and the rim is very small, so it does feel a bit awkward in my hand compared to my other discs. I haven't thrown it during a round yet (only in practice or as a second drive for fun), but if the right situation presented itself, I would not hesitate to. Very consistent flight pattern for the most part.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Well if you're Mr. Outside the Box guy (I'm one of them) then the Discmania CD is for you. The CD stands for control driver. I personally like my JLS. I hear if you get a Striker, BillnChristy will do unmentionable things to you in an alley way.
I was also looking at the CD on Discgolfcenter. Have you actually thrown it?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 54 Times in 32 Posts

Dave, the JLS pretty much sucks if you're throwing over 275'. I bought it. Tried it. Tried it some more. Thought maybe I could use it in certain situations...but no. My Buzz goes just as far if not further. Is more stable. Holds better lines, anny or hyzer. Has much better glide. Is better in every aspect that is disc golf. And when a midrange can beat a driver in every single category including distance, that's when it's time to hang up the ol' JLS.

At the same time, I think the JLS is quite possibly the best "first" driver you can get. My nephew who just started is doing quite well with it so far.

Last edited by skurf; 08-04-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
Dave, the JLS pretty much sucks if you're throwing over 275'. I bought it. Tried it. Tried it some more. Thought maybe I could use it in certain situations...but no. My Buzz goes just as far if not further. Is more stable. Holds better lines, anny or hyzer. Has much better glide. Is better in every aspect that is disc golf. And when a midrange can beat a driver in every single category including distance, that's when it's time to hang it up.
Mines a first run in sirius plastic, it is stable as hell. All I can say is I can hit decent gaps with it from 250' away.

No, I've never thrown a CD, but I do have a SL, 169 g I got in a trade and it is a wee bit flippy, definitely seen a tree or two before it got to me. It throws like a new Star Sidewinder, best I can do for comparison.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Mines a first run in sirius plastic, it is stable as hell. All I can say is I can hit decent gaps with it from 250' away.

No, I've never thrown a CD, but I do have a SL, 169 g I got in a trade and it is a wee bit flippy, definitely seen a tree or two before it got to me. It throws like a new Star Sidewinder, best I can do for comparison.
Wow, that is really flippy.