#1  
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 AM
springy101 springy101 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 72
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Looking for a new control driver

In my never ending search for more discs I'm looking for a new driver. I have a ton of faster drivers and I have some slower more controllable drivers, now I am looking for something in between. I'm looking for something around speed 9, great glide, and fairly straight flight that will always fade back. Right now just based on numbers I have been looking at the Latitide 64 Striker, Gateway Apache, Discraft Stalker, and the Innova SL. Right now I throw between 275 and 325 depending on the disc and how good my throw is (I throw a Teebird on average 300' if that helps more). I have never actually thrown or see anybody throw any of these, and hope you guys can lend your opinions so that I can make the right decision.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2009, 02:10 AM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Darkhorse Ranch
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 15,342
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

Valk will probably win the popular vote. BillnChristy will whore himself out for some Lat 64 disc. I'm going to go with the douchebag response of, "Well, I use a midrange for a control driver."

But seriously try out a Valk, and if you want to make sure of no turnover worries try its cousin the Viking. The Gateway Sabre I had for a little while felt like a faster TeeBird to me, might be an option.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2009, 02:16 AM
springy101 springy101 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 72
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Valk will probably win the popular vote. BillnChristy will whore himself out for some Lat 64 disc. I'm going to go with the douchebag response of, "Well, I use a midrange for a control driver."

But seriously try out a Valk, and if you want to make sure of no turnover worries try its cousin the Viking. The Gateway Sabre I had for a little while felt like a faster TeeBird to me, might be an option.
I've tried most of the more popular discs: Valkyrie, OLF, Viking, etc; I'm looking for something else. In all honesty I don't really need a new disc, but when I get paid i always buy 2 or 3 new discs I've never thrown before to try out.

Edit: I've been reading this site just long enough to get a chuckle out of your post. Lots of familiar faces in threads like these

Last edited by springy101; 08-04-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 AM
skurf's Avatar
skurf skurf is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 28
Posts: 2,105
Niced 54 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I like my Stalker and it's slowly taking over the place of my Teebird. I've seen people say it's not as stable as the Teebird, but I can't say that I agree. I've been throwing a teebird for a while and got the Stalker only just recently, but I find the Stalker actually harder to turn-over than the Teebird and I'd say they both have about the same amount of fade and glide. Basically, this means I can power it 100% completely flat and not worry about it going right and it will stay flat and on that line for a very long time. This is really the most important aspect that I look for in mid-ranges and fairway drivers because those are the discs I use to shoot gaps or hit narrow fairways.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 AM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Darkhorse Ranch
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 15,342
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

Well if you're Mr. Outside the Box guy (I'm one of them) then the Discmania CD is for you. The CD stands for control driver. I personally like my JLS. I hear if you get a Striker, BillnChristy will do unmentionable things to you in an alley way.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 AM
colodiscgolfer's Avatar
colodiscgolfer colodiscgolfer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boulder CO
Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 21
Posts: 628
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I recently purchased a stalker, and it throws nearly dead straight RHBH no matter how hard I throw it... unless I hang it in the air (like all discs will fade left in this situation). When I throw it RHFH I have to take a bit off of it, or throw a hyzer flip to keep it from drifting off to the left. It is a very domey disc with a large radius, and the rim is very small, so it does feel a bit awkward in my hand compared to my other discs. I haven't thrown it during a round yet (only in practice or as a second drive for fun), but if the right situation presented itself, I would not hesitate to. Very consistent flight pattern for the most part.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 AM
springy101 springy101 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 72
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Well if you're Mr. Outside the Box guy (I'm one of them) then the Discmania CD is for you. The CD stands for control driver. I personally like my JLS. I hear if you get a Striker, BillnChristy will do unmentionable things to you in an alley way.
I was also looking at the CD on Discgolfcenter. Have you actually thrown it?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-04-2009, 03:37 AM
skurf's Avatar
skurf skurf is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 28
Posts: 2,105
Niced 54 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Dave, the JLS pretty much sucks if you're throwing over 275'. I bought it. Tried it. Tried it some more. Thought maybe I could use it in certain situations...but no. My Buzz goes just as far if not further. Is more stable. Holds better lines, anny or hyzer. Has much better glide. Is better in every aspect that is disc golf. And when a midrange can beat a driver in every single category including distance, that's when it's time to hang up the ol' JLS.

At the same time, I think the JLS is quite possibly the best "first" driver you can get. My nephew who just started is doing quite well with it so far.

Last edited by skurf; 08-04-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 AM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Darkhorse Ranch
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 15,342
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
Dave, the JLS pretty much sucks if you're throwing over 275'. I bought it. Tried it. Tried it some more. Thought maybe I could use it in certain situations...but no. My Buzz goes just as far if not further. Is more stable. Holds better lines, anny or hyzer. Has much better glide. Is better in every aspect that is disc golf. And when a midrange can beat a driver in every single category including distance, that's when it's time to hang it up.
Mines a first run in sirius plastic, it is stable as hell. All I can say is I can hit decent gaps with it from 250' away.

No, I've never thrown a CD, but I do have a SL, 169 g I got in a trade and it is a wee bit flippy, definitely seen a tree or two before it got to me. It throws like a new Star Sidewinder, best I can do for comparison.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 AM
springy101 springy101 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 72
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Mines a first run in sirius plastic, it is stable as hell. All I can say is I can hit decent gaps with it from 250' away.

No, I've never thrown a CD, but I do have a SL, 169 g I got in a trade and it is a wee bit flippy, definitely seen a tree or two before it got to me. It throws like a new Star Sidewinder, best I can do for comparison.
Wow, that is really flippy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stable control driver johnnygunz Discs 14 07-11-2016 01:31 PM
The best first distance/control driver Eemeli137 Discs 37 05-20-2013 09:41 AM
What would you define as a control driver? crd 81 Discs 56 05-15-2013 03:56 PM
Go-to Control Driver 9+ Verjaeger Discs 109 03-10-2012 08:41 PM
Stalker Best Control Driver? byoung Discs 30 08-19-2010 06:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.