Old 07-26-2021, 11:16 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 281
Niced 966 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
Practically speaking, we got 3 options...

- Throw into people, possibly seriously injure someone, put yourself up for some serious liability, put local disc golf at risk.
- Get mad and confront people, paint disc golf in a bad light, possibly confront the wrong person of influence and put local disc golf at risk.
- Be patient/skip holes and politely warn people that they could be injured by an errant throw by someone else and hope they change their habits.
A reasonable, well-balanced, thoughtful post on dgcr, where am I??
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-26-2021, 04:27 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
Niced 291 Times in 130 Posts

Do any of you ever come across this kind of disc golfer...?

A dude I know was putting at a basket that is within earshot of a soccer field. A soccer field. A raucous and fun bunch of grown-ass men playing and shouting and laughing...We see them there all the time, and they're genuniely nice dudes with whom I've had nothing but positive and interesting interactions...
Dude misses the putt, then loudly exclaims about the "F%#!ing Nigerians!" Like, seriously angry that they weren't more quiet so he could make his putt.
First, they absolutely ARE oblivious to you and your putt, man. The onus is not on them to be quiet while our two groups play our divergent but simultaneous games.
Second, if you can't tune out some ambient park noise, you might have bigger problems between your ears.

But he's the same guy - among several - who acts like people are just *stupid* for not knowing what the concrete pads are for, for example. I enjoy saying things like, "Do you know what a paradiddle is? No? God, yer stupid." He probable doesn't get the point, but I don't play with him any more, so...no worries.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 274
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 559 Times in 284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Do you throw a Cheetah or a Gazelle? I would've said Lion but nobody throws that damn mold.

How about....

A Wolf....

haley...

Niced: (1)
Old 07-26-2021, 05:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 631 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
Practically speaking, we got 3 options...

- Throw into people, possibly seriously injure someone, put yourself up for some serious liability, put local disc golf at risk.
- Get mad and confront people, paint disc golf in a bad light, possibly confront the wrong person of influence and put local disc golf at risk.
- Be patient/skip holes and politely warn people that they could be injured by an errant throw by someone else and hope they change their habits.
To continue in my "Final Destination" mindset

...and hope they change their habits. Which they won't, so everyone skips holes and the course appears to not get any use, putting local disc golf at risk.

[/purely pessimistic post]
Old 07-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 128 Times in 59 Posts

Yep. I asked a woman with kid/pram who was watching some heavy equipment from the sidewalk to the right of fairway. I got her attention and asked if I could play through, she looked at me, nodded. I threw from the tee, the disc landed in the fairway about 100 feet from her. Then she started screaming “My baby, my baby”, threatened to punch me in the face, then called me a f@cking f@ggot as she stormed away.

I misinterpreted her nod based on the typical negotiation that happens almost daily in this park.

More reason to get out early. I get along better with the geese.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:30 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
Niced 291 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterboy View Post
Yep. I asked a woman with kid/pram who was watching some heavy equipment from the sidewalk to the right of fairway. I got her attention and asked if I could play through, she looked at me, nodded. I threw from the tee, the disc landed in the fairway about 100 feet from her. Then she started screaming “My baby, my baby”, threatened to punch me in the face, then called me a f@cking f@ggot as she stormed away.
AmericKaren strikes again.

Quote:
More reason to get out early. I get along better with the geese.
Me too. They're not as mouthy, and they make a really cool *thump* sound when you drive a golf ball into their ribcages. (Saw that happen once. The fowl shook it off like it was a gnat.)
Old 07-27-2021, 01:56 PM

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 17 Times in 8 Posts

I usually play every Saturday morning, so in good weather, depending on the course there's a better than average chance a non disc golfer will be on at least one fairway. We'll usually wait to see if they're moving or if they've set up to stay, advise them that they're on the fairway & skip the hole. That's pretty typical, but the holes that usually bother me use walking paths or roads even as part of the fairway, so if the park's busy, you're waiting on dog walkers, joggers etc to get out of the way, most of them oblivious or with ear buds in so they couldn't hear you yelling fore anyway. An open field may or may not get used, but a walking path definitely will, so the odds of interaction are pretty high.

Picnic tables & pavilions along fairways are another annoyance you have to deal with in some parks and like others have said, a DG course was probably an after thought & they figured who could get seriously injured by a rounded whamo type frisbee?

Little Mulberry, one of my favorite courses, has signs on the one open fairway near the rest of the park saying "disc golf area, do not cross" or something similar but you'll still see people doing random activities on it. Hopefully with the sport increasing in popularity there will be more DG only parks or at least they won't be shoe horned in with all the other activities.

Niced: (2)

Old 07-27-2021, 02:05 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 128 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskulls View Post
I usually play every Saturday morning, so in good weather, depending on the course there's a better than average chance a non disc golfer will be on at least one fairway. We'll usually wait to see if they're moving or if they've set up to stay, advise them that they're on the fairway & skip the hole. That's pretty typical, but the holes that usually bother me use walking paths or roads even as part of the fairway, so if the park's busy, you're waiting on dog walkers, joggers etc to get out of the way, most of them oblivious or with ear buds in so they couldn't hear you yelling fore anyway. An open field may or may not get used, but a walking path definitely will, so the odds of interaction are pretty high.

Picnic tables & pavilions along fairways are another annoyance you have to deal with in some parks and like others have said, a DG course was probably an after thought & they figured who could get seriously injured by a rounded whamo type frisbee?

Little Mulberry, one of my favorite courses, has signs on the one open fairway near the rest of the park saying "disc golf area, do not cross" or something similar but you'll still see people doing random activities on it. Hopefully with the sport increasing in popularity there will be more DG only parks or at least they won't be shoe horned in with all the other activities.
Disc golf signage is still in an infancy stage and exists largely unaware of the science of professional wayfinding design and the safety issues that can be well mitigated. There's probably a certain level of soft education that needs to seep in culturally, too.

One of the only jobs I've ever walked on was wayfinding for a science and history museum, and I left the project because they were wanting signs on a busy road and absolutely not comprehend that traffic safety and lives were potentially at risk.

I'd say nobody ever puts a ball golf park in a public park but there's one right down the street from me. People sort of limp along with bad ideas until there's a drastic accident. I don't think there's anything we can do in many situations as individual golfers.