Old 05-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 537 Times in 344 Posts
Default Longer Mirage

Hey guys - considering checking out a very understable midrange in premium plastic for woodsy hyzer flips.

The closest thing I can think of to what I'm looking for is a faster/longer protostar Mirage. I basically want to be able to flip this thing with a smooth 70% and have it track right a bit before a gentle fade, ending at center from a slight hyzer.

The underworld, hatchet and fury are some more discs that come to mind when I think smooth flip. The underworld does not fade at all, the fury is always a little shorter than I expect it to be but does fade slightly. I would say a slower opto hatchet is essentially what I'm thinking here.

It looks like the warrant or tursas are pretty close to what I'm looking for. In my experience, understable trilogy fairway drivers are flippier in opto equivalent rather than gold line. Can anyone comment on the flight/stability of different weights/plastics of these two molds?

Any other recommendations? 171g ESP comet is pretty close too, if not a tad too finicky.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2018, 02:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 850 Times in 576 Posts

ESP Meteor.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,211 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Hey guys - considering checking out a very understable midrange in premium plastic for woodsy hyzer flips.

The closest thing I can think of to what I'm looking for is a faster/longer protostar Mirage. I basically want to be able to flip this thing with a smooth 70% and have it track right a bit before a gentle fade, ending at center from a slight hyzer.

The underworld, hatchet and fury are some more discs that come to mind when I think smooth flip. The underworld does not fade at all, the fury is always a little shorter than I expect it to be but does fade slightly. I would say a slower opto hatchet is essentially what I'm thinking here.

It looks like the warrant or tursas are pretty close to what I'm looking for. In my experience, understable trilogy fairway drivers are flippier in opto equivalent rather than gold line. Can anyone comment on the flight/stability of different weights/plastics of these two molds?

Any other recommendations? 171g ESP comet is pretty close too, if not a tad too finicky.
Been looking for a disc like this myself, so I'll follow this thread with interest.

One comment about the Opto and Gold Line plastics: My experience with both in using the River showed me that the River started with the same flight pattern fresh out of the box, but the Gold Line wears in a LOT faster. The Opto also will beat in; it's not durable like Champion plastic. But GL wears in and gets flippy faster.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 537 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
ESP Meteor.
I had a flat ESP Meteor one time at about 169g, and it ate up power like crazy, could hardly flip it without a 100% nose-down rip. This could be due to prior form issues, or maybe flat ones are more stable or something.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 49
Niced 475 Times in 317 Posts

Not a real popular mold, but when comparing to a Mirage, you may want to check out a Star Foxbat. My ex LOVED this disc for hyzerflips and turnovers. For me, when powered down it becomes a great touch flip up disc with amazing glide.

Personally, the 400G M4 is the greatest understable mid I've ever touched in almost 15 years of playing. Incredible control, hyzerflips to a laser beam, sky turnovers, long late-turning left to right shots through the woods. One of my all time favorite discs if I'm even close to a wooded course (which most of Michigan is) I highly, highly recommend checking out a 400G M4. It excels at the flight you've described perfectly.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,451 Times in 746 Posts

Flying Squirrel in Gold plastic. The Platinum plastic is kind of beefy. Stingrays would probably work in this role too.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 48
Niced 850 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I had a flat ESP Meteor one time at about 169g, and it ate up power like crazy, could hardly flip it without a 100% nose-down rip. This could be due to prior form issues, or maybe flat ones are more stable or something.
They do vary. My flat one is the one that really turns for me. Has to be in the shoulder.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 141 Times in 71 Posts

I’m not quite clear on what speed you’re looking for but you might want to try a Discraft Sting.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,211 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
Not a real popular mold, but when comparing to a Mirage, you may want to check out a Star Foxbat. My ex LOVED this disc for hyzerflips and turnovers. For me, when powered down it becomes a great touch flip up disc with amazing glide.

Personally, the 400G M4 is the greatest understable mid I've ever touched in almost 15 years of playing. Incredible control, hyzerflips to a laser beam, sky turnovers, long late-turning left to right shots through the woods. One of my all time favorite discs if I'm even close to a wooded course (which most of Michigan is) I highly, highly recommend checking out a 400G M4. It excels at the flight you've described perfectly.
I had forgotten about the M4. I second its recommendation as an awesome understable mid.

The Foxbat is a lot of fun to throw, but the wind can take that disc and throw it around and abuse it like the Slender Man does Jeff (a little Creepypasta reference, there...)...

Old 05-08-2018, 04:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,517 Times in 867 Posts

Discraft Archer is close to a longer Mirage

Niced: (2)