Old 09-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 67 Times in 34 Posts
Default Converting to light discs

What are peoples experience with using lighter discs? I own a couple of them, buying them before realizing the difference weight makes. A year ago, I had no control of them but I might actually have a steadier release and might be able to use them. My distance records are currently held by Z Nuke SS and an Opto Havoc (speed 13's) but immediately following is an Opto Diamond (8 speed, 157 g). I haven't bagged the Diamond because it seems to need more space to get the distance but I should probably revisit that as well.

I currently bag up to speed 9 because I don't have the arm speed yet. If I throw lighter discs, can I throw higher speeds?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

There is a "Best Disc Golf Discs" video out there that showed that a disc about 20 grams ligher than another (155g vs. 175g) would get about 34 feet more distance on a full power throw, all else being equal. What that full power throw is would depend on armspeed, of course.

So significant differences in weight can make a difference. But lighter weight discs also are affected by wind and throwing variances (i.e. the inconsistency of your throws) more than heavier discs. Overall, you might find that lighter weights in higher speed discs will work well for you.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-04-2019, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,869 Times in 1,081 Posts

you can throw whatever you want

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Niced 815 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
What are peoples experience with using lighter discs? I own a couple of them, buying them before realizing the difference weight makes. A year ago, I had no control of them but I might actually have a steadier release and might be able to use them. My distance records are currently held by Z Nuke SS and an Opto Havoc (speed 13's) but immediately following is an Opto Diamond (8 speed, 157 g). I haven't bagged the Diamond because it seems to need more space to get the distance but I should probably revisit that as well.

I currently bag up to speed 9 because I don't have the arm speed yet. If I throw lighter discs, can I throw higher speeds?
I love light stuff, my entire bag was 150g (or less) for 8 years. Lighter weights do allow you to throw faster discs but my personal opinion is that you are better off learning how to throw the slower discs further. I know this doesn’t help the immediate need for more distance but this is my advice.

I should note that my course is thickly wooded with trees so I never have to deal with wind. This might be why I like the lighter discs so much. People who regularly play windy courses will appreciate heavier discs.

Also, FWIW, I still carry at least one 150g putter now that I’ve migrated back to a max weight bag. Light weight discs are great for scrambling when you can only flick your wrist but still need a disk to carry a decent distance.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Also, FWIW, I still carry at least one 150g putter now that I’ve migrated back to a max weight bag. Light weight discs are great for scrambling when you can only flick your wrist but still need a disk to carry a decent distance.
This was how I 'discovered' the Polecat. I took the advice of some on these boards and tried a 150g Poleat as a 'Get Out Of Jail' disc. No power on it, just aiming and flicking my wrist, and that Polecat glided so well and flew so good... Moral of the story is that lightweight discs, be they putters, mids, or drivers, can have some advantages for some people.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,111 Times in 635 Posts

150 class, or lower, is where MVP/Axiom truly shine. The weighted rim stores more angular momentum, which keeps the disc stable longer.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 165
Niced 458 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
. . . Lighter weights do allow you to throw faster discs but my personal opinion is that you are better off learning how to throw the slower discs further. I know this doesn’t help the immediate need for more distance but this is my advice.
^^^ This is excellent advice. Slow discs go far, too - I have probably never thrown anything farther than a seasoned 150 DX Teebird (speed 7).

Quote:
I should note that my course is thickly wooded with trees so I never have to deal with wind. This might be why I like the lighter discs so much. People who regularly play windy courses will appreciate heavier discs.
Wind can be the bane of light discs. Thrown cleanly, a stable light disc still flies stable. And a little speed-stability can help with headwinds. Or just play some nice wooded courses.

But 150s can go crazy far in the wrong direction if you expose the flight plate to a crosswind.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,533 Times in 697 Posts

Also, light weight discs are not going to miraculously get you a substantial distance gain if your form is a bit off.
Throw a 150 class driver a little nose up into the wrong and you'll see things you never thought a disc could do and end up in places you never thought possible!

Light weight discs can help you slow down and clean up your form.
Light discs are easier to throw when your clean
Light discs can get you some extra distance, but you're not going from 275 to 400 because of weight.
Light discs are a challenge in the wind and have actually helped me to learn the wind.
Light discs are damn fun!

They're worth a shot. Make a 5-6 disc bag of 150 class and give it a shot for a while. If nothing else, you'll learn a lot.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-04-2019, 06:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

They do fly different, and glide a lot. You can get some amazing tailwind shots and turnover flights with lighter discs.

Personally I prefer going to a less stable mold in a more normal weight, normal for me being 165+ where I really don't notice any real difference. I think it just is more consistent for me disc to disc that way, less affected by the wind, and I don't have to rely on any weird plastics with bubbles or anything that tends to make them vary like crazy when trying to choose a disc.

Light discs do have benefits, I just find that I am way more likely to have issues with them during rounds so I don't trust it as much. Like I feel more trust smashing on a neutral putter than I do a 150 class fairway or driver.

But something that is OS in a light weight can have a very unique flight. I've thrown very light beefy Destroyers and Firebirds that carry straight for way longer than normal then hook up hard at the end still. That's a cool flight that you can't quite get any other way, from what I've thrown.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 328 Times in 198 Posts

the Diamond is like cheating. please don't tell anyone about it.