*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,454 Times in 586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Titans are awesome baskets.

I can’t confirm if it’s true or not though, but I have heard that you cannot call and just buy 18 titans anymore. I think it’s a matter of Dave Mac not wanting his company name involved with a course he does not have design influence on. Aka if there are safety concerns surrounding the course he doesn’t want anybody knocking on his door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Hm. Doesn't sound right considering the Ozark Mountain course. But it's Dave, so very likely at the same time.

I had a bullseye in the past, really great practice putting basket, very heavy duty.
I don't know if it is still the case or not, but I was told years ago that permanent Titans were only sold as part of a GDS course design package. So if it is still the case, it has actually been the case for a long time. They don't want a bunch of Titans in stock, they order them when they have a course install sold.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 188 Times in 98 Posts

Yeah, this is what I was referring to. Everybody seems to confusing the portable titans with the actual legit permanent ones. The portable titans are really solid for a portable and could probably be used as a permanent basket but anybody who’s played a Dave Mac course on real titans knows they’re not the same. Just must not be many in the wild outside of STL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I don't know if it is still the case or not, but I was told years ago that permanent Titans were only sold as part of a GDS course design package. So if it is still the case, it has actually been the case for a long time. They don't want a bunch of Titans in stock, they order them when they have a course install sold.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.9
Courses Played: 233
Niced 1,258 Times in 569 Posts

I think the Gateway baskets are fine. But, I don't have any issues with any of the higher end permanent baskets. They all catch great, with a flaw in all of them. Some catch hard putts well, others soft, some high putts, some catch better off the pole......
Old 04-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 134
Niced 256 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Titans are awesome baskets.

I can’t confirm if it’s true or not though, but I have heard that you cannot call and just buy 18 titans anymore. I think it’s a matter of Dave Mac not wanting his company name involved with a course he does not have design influence on. Aka if there are safety concerns surrounding the course he doesn’t want anybody knocking on his door.
Very likely true.

Not long after we bought the land that became Hidden Ridge I reached out to all the big companies (at the time, DGA, Innova, Discraft, Gateway) to request quotes for 18 baskets. Gateway was the only one that never responded at all. DGA and Innova were super responsive, Discraft was okay, crickets from Gateway.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 163
Niced 142 Times in 86 Posts

There's a dinky little 9 hole in the Chicago suburbs that has Titans (almost positive that they are the permanent version). Really doubt that one was a McCormick design.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/cours...d=4346&mode=ci

In my limited experience, Titans catch very well and are built solid.

Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 27
Niced 26 Times in 11 Posts

There were a set of titans on a private course outside of Columbia Mo(Garverland) for years. They caught unlinke any other basket I’ve ever seen. The Garverland titans had a pvc sleeve over the center pole that helped prevent direct center pole hits not spit back out. They’d hit it and just fall in the super deep basket.

I used to really want one for a practice basket, but have since realized that a basket that catches too well to practice on might not be the best idea.