Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,279 Times in 609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I know that this sounds kinda nuts based on what everyone has seen, but I really feel good about where the DGPT is headed and honestly where we are at now.
Yes, at this point it does sound kind of nuts. But given as you feel good about where it's heading and you know more than I do, I'll try to keep an open mind.
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 580 Times in 348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by commentators appealing to the non-player. How does one do that? Or more accurately, what does one do that is okay for players to listen to but that may alienate non-players?
Let's see how to reply..gently and with respect....some pros don't have clear speaking voices but as players, we don't care, it's one of our pros talking. A non player new to the sport, who has no idea who the commentator is, may have a different subliminal reaction. So the happy medium might be to find someone first that has a clear speaking voice and build from there.

Fwiw.. a local beloved Football player Jason Witten tried commentary after he retired. Well..it's hard to be like Troy or Tony. He's not retired anymore.

Niced: (1)
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 129 Times in 42 Posts

For me at this point, I'm probably only going to watch live coverage if it's the final round of a close tournament, where we really don't know who is going to win. I'll watch the last 18 or 9 holes of that and tolerate the downtime walking down the fairway between shots, etc. I might watch earlier rounds of a major. But other than that, I'd prefer to just watch post-production.

I would love to see the pairing of a true play-by-play person (not a player) with a color analyst (a player). I think that would elevate the experience of watching disc golf coverage a fair amount.

Not that anyone is asking or cares. But after a few years of watching coverage, that's where this recreational player stands on all of this.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,445 Times in 838 Posts

If someone already did this, I apologize.

https://anhyzertv.com/our-jonesboro-media-experience/

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,216 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Let's see how to reply..gently and with respect....some pros don't have clear speaking voices but as players, we don't care, it's one of our pros talking. A non player new to the sport, who has no idea who the commentator is, may have a different subliminal reaction. So the happy medium might be to find someone first that has a clear speaking voice and build from there.

Fwiw.. a local beloved Football player Jason Witten tried commentary after he retired. Well..it's hard to be like Troy or Tony. He's not retired anymore.
Bingo. We are predisposed to like our pros because we're familiar (and fans) and because we trust that what they're saying is "expert level"

That doesn't mean they always speak like an expert, and it doesn't mean they're the right fit for the format.

I'm not opining either way on any particular commentator, I just really appreciate this point being brought up because it's a very important one that usually gets drowned out by the buzz of fandom.

Niced: (3)
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 22
Niced 195 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Yes, I think that both of them can be good. They just need the right partner to do the actual "play by play". They are both color analysts so to speak. Jeff Spring could be that guy. Dixon could be. I don't think that Terry is the right person for that role (although he is good), Terry is a better with the color side than the dry play by play.
It is funny you say that. I feel that Ian is the best play by play guy in the disc golf game. Granted, I have no idea how he would do on a live broadcast. I think it would be VERY interesting to see Ian doing play by play with Terry providing the color commentary of an event. I think it would be very, very good.

I also completely agree with you about Nate and Val, they are both really color commentators. They need a play-by-play announcer IMO.

Niced: (2)

Old Today, 07:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 253 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderEagle View Post
It is funny you say that. I feel that Ian is the best play by play guy in the disc golf game. Granted, I have no idea how he would do on a live broadcast. I think it would be VERY interesting to see Ian doing play by play with Terry providing the color commentary of an event. I think it would be very, very good.

I also completely agree with you about Nate and Val, they are both really color commentators. They need a play-by-play announcer IMO.
Uli and Feldy reminded me of the first time I heard Romo and Nance do a football game -- the combination of great analysis and witty humor.