Old 06-29-2022, 11:30 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 194 Times in 103 Posts

You can drill down into the mud with this, but I deal with permissions a bit, and I'll tell you that you can rip off or copy artwork for decorating something personal, but when you start selling it for profit you have an issue.

The laws are get kinda vague, and you will probably never be in court to test them. If you are hand cutting masks, you are probably OK. If you are doing commercial foil stamping, you need to be legally good on everything including the type you license.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-29-2022, 12:11 PM

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore1998 View Post
It's not legal. For the most part folks don't care enough to come after you. The folks who WILL come after you are members of the DG community. If you start putting Innova or Discraft designs/names on discs...they're going to care a lot more than Disney cares if you put Mario on one. Same for things like Huk designs, or non-manufacturer designs that have some kind of protection...folks who have the protection and actively use it for disc golf are going to have a much harder line on it than someone not in the space.
You're 100% correct - I don't think Disney could care less if people put Mario on a disc.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-30-2022, 06:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 562
Niced 478 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkmcgurk View Post
You're 100% correct - I don't think Disney could care less if people put Mario on a disc.
This isnt going to be funny in 10 years probably.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,446 Times in 1,220 Posts

The personal use vs profit was pretty much what I would expect.

If I stamp 1000 discs with MCU characters and sell them on eBay I’m a lot more exposed than a one or two off for personal use or even trade.

But it’s still technically copyright infringement
Old 06-30-2022, 06:57 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 194 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
The personal use vs profit was pretty much what I would expect.

If I stamp 1000 discs with MCU characters and sell them on eBay I’m a lot more exposed than a one or two off for personal use or even trade.

But it’s still technically copyright infringement
Maybe it’s infringement if some kid traces something on their notebook during history class. The legal threshold gets down to percent changes, which is vague AF. But then you have other layers for recognizable characters, brands, whatever.

Even really old stuff is hard to run down and know, but for personal? Life is short…

Old 07-17-2022, 05:34 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sema7082 View Post
There should not be such a violation, people should follow this otherwise there will be big consequences. I recently came across this topic at the university. I found information about copyright detector, used https://phdessay.com/copyright-detector/ for this. There you can find detailed information so that you do not encounter this. By the way, in this way I received information that will be useful to me and will be useful.
Are you seriously?