Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 07-04-2022, 05:07 PM
Par Member

Niced 44 Times in 28 Posts
Default For the semi-big arms, what happened when you took 10+ spd discs out of the bag?

For reference, I average 375-450 with drivers, 536 personal max with a Pro Boss. I'm also way more inconsistent than I'd like to be, especially with drivers. Some days I can rip with accuracy, other days I can rip without accuracy, other days snapless ducks come and bite me in the ass far too often.

I played my local 27 hole course yesterday (decently long at 12000 feet) and decided to take everything above my Thunderbirds out of the bag. I was finding myself never using my 7-9 speed discs and this made me sad. I also had a terrible tag round the other day and I felt way off my game. Needed a fix it round.

I am curious how this has worked out for others and how long they've kept it up because the early returns for me were incredible. Distance was legitimately unaffected and I may have got more off several elevated tees than normal. Accuracy and consistency felt like it got a ��. I've fallen in love with my teebird3s again (bagged 3 and I own 8). This is one data point from a good round so I'm not gonna come to any conclusions or make future plans from it but I'm gonna head out there again right now to do it again. There might be something to this. Giggity.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2022, 06:30 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 215 Times in 120 Posts

I'm nowhere near your distance, but have done the same thing. Just bagging 7 speeds and below and it's great. I may be losing a few feet in distance, but control is so much better. I may toss a Thrasher in the bag if I'm feeling muscular, but it doesn't get me that much more distance ... possibly 30'. Scores are just the same, but I seem to be scrambling less
Old 07-05-2022, 06:31 AM
Par Member

Niced 229 Times in 111 Posts

Not a fan of it if I need to score on competitive courses. I don't have any issues reaching for fairways though, and when I pull out distance drivers it's usually more for the shot shape or wind fighting than maximum distance.

If I want max d on the course I'll usually pull out my flippy Valkyrie and give it some height on a straight hyzerflip line, rather than trying to flex one of my Destroyers, which might net me an extra 40' if I hit it perfectly.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:09 AM
Par Member

Niced 95 Times in 58 Posts

I'm almost spot on as you when it comes to distance and the only shot that I routinely miss having in my bag when I don't have my distance drivers is the big hyzer. I find I can push a hyzer much further with a distance driver compared to a fairway driver. To clarify I mean a hyzer release that stays on hyzer the whole way, not a hyzer flip or flip up.

Throwing hyzer flip bombs or big flex shots is not something I do all that much on the courses I play but having the option to throw a predictable hyzer with a distance driver instead of having to flip up or turn a fairway driver to get there is what makes a difference for me. Basically the option to choose a more predictable and accurate shot type.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:26 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 113 Times in 75 Posts

random thoughts

understanding that lower speed discs are capable of massive distance helps.
A 9 speed is good for 450 with good form/power.

If you can hit 350-400 with 9 speeds and accurately, but only get 20 more feet from a 12, throw the 9's. Why bother with the 20 feet for a higher chance of error.

Higher speed the disc, the more touchy the disc is with nose angle as well.

So if you dont have perfect nose control, you can have higher error on bigger speed discs.

just random thoughts.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 64
Niced 559 Times in 313 Posts

I did it a few months ago. I've seen my scores improve by around 1 stroke on average, and I've found that I don't need 10+ speeds on most holes. "need" meaning it doesn't noticeably make playing the hole any harder. I've found that the increased accuracy is worth it over the course of the round ("worth it" meaning I save a stroke most of the time).
Old 07-05-2022, 09:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 62
Niced 113 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
I did it a few months ago. I've seen my scores improve by around 1 stroke on average, and I've found that I don't need 10+ speeds on most holes. "need" meaning it doesn't noticeably make playing the hole any harder. I've found that the increased accuracy is worth it over the course of the round ("worth it" meaning I save a stroke most of the time).
one of the hardest things i find to do is convince people they dont need to keep throwing these huge drivers on shorter holes where mids and putters are more effective.

However.
If its stupid and it works...

I threw a putter on a hole yesterday that I usually throw a 6 speed on and got a far better result than I have ever on that hole with a nice easy 12 footer vs the disc fading out harder and giving me a pitch up and then a 3.

Getting good putters that work for driving is a really big deal for bags if you ask me.

People think they need drivers for distance, and its simply not true. They think they cannot make the distance, but they never really keep trying to throw the putter or the mid instead.

It is however frustrating to do the right thing and have people with poor form and bad disc choice out shoot you.

But then they are playing their game, which in a way, is far better than necessarily doing it the "right way" because... what is the right way?

However staying in that range and not testing your improvements isn't really furthering your ability over time as well.

It's a complicated topic.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 45
Niced 742 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
If you can hit 350-400 with 9 speeds and accurately, but only get 20 more feet from a 12, throw the 9's. Why bother with the 20 feet for a higher chance of error.

Higher speed the disc, the more touchy the disc is with nose angle as well.
These are my exact thoughts and the way I have setup my bag for the last 3-4 years.

With short fingers, speed 11-13 discs tend to slip out of my grip every so often. I bag S/C/P-PDs and a Sidewinder or Roadrunner. Also an Orc or two for sidearm.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 47
Niced 188 Times in 126 Posts

For me, throwing fairway/control drivers on tight fairway lines has helped me throw distance drivers on tougher lines and control/take into account their ground action better. Throwing fairway/control drivers on more open/less limited flight paths and trying to maximize distance can be surprising since they end up in different landing zones which may make holes easier to manage.

Most courses near me have only 1 or 2 pin positions that aren't reachable with 7-9 speeds. Other holes with 11+ speeds may be easier though so anytime I drop the distance drivers I'm forcing myself into a tougher line which can be good practice.

I also think it would be smart to leave distance drivers at home during the winter/early spring since they are harder to get up to speed.

Wind, open distance BH throws, and 'distance' FH throws are the a couple reasons to keep the distance drivers around.

Niced: (1)

Old 07-05-2022, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 278
Niced 8,791 Times in 3,010 Posts

Simply.......are you better off, 20 ft further from the basket or 20 ft further from the fairway?