Old 04-20-2021, 04:59 AM

Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts

Yeah my point was it Kinda looks you're holding it like this instead.. Cred to my sons crayon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210420_100420.jpg (96.2 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2021, 07:04 AM
Par Member

Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts

Apologies.

Here's the pen link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bvue2c7zc...73255.mp4?dl=0
Old 04-20-2021, 02:57 PM
Par Member

Hello,

I now realize what you meant Joquex. Thank you for the screenshot to show me what you meant.

I tried changing my grip and images below is the result I came to. That grip feels pretty comfortable in my hand. I can feel my pinky finger and index finger holding the disc and other fingers just supporting the disc. But I do not know what grip that is. Probably modified power grip. It feels like I could rip the disc like that and it won't get stuck anywhere on any of my fingers. Control of the disc feels good as well.

The important thing is that I haven't tried throwing the disc with this grip yet but I will do that. While I'm at I will create a form analysis video as well.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:40 AM

I think that is better but you should be able to hold the disc with 2 fingers like this, even without the thumb. Although the thumb will put more pressure on the disc during the swing than the fingers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210421_073218.jpg (58.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20210421_073205.jpg (32.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-21-2021, 02:13 PM
Par Member

Hello,

I am able to hold the disc with 2 fingers like shown in the attached thumbnails above reply.

I tried two grips, middle finger a little bit more wide in flight plate bottom vs curled up. Both felt good and it does not feel uncomfortable to hold the disc with two fingers. What do you think on this one?

Could you please explain what was the reason behind holding the disc with two fingers?
  • To see how would I hold it?
  • Where the disc placement is?
  • Were my finger placements good?
  • Did I hold the disc in my hand well?

I'm looking forward to your reply.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 257
Niced 7,299 Times in 4,194 Posts

I like the flat middle finger. Keep that index finger and thumb the same and then put your other fingers comfortably on the disc.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-22-2021, 02:05 AM

Yeah and it keeps the disc away from your palm. It might touch the palm/base of thumb but there shouldn't really be any pressure. Also you could try to throw with 2 fingers, but if you choose to put the other fingers on, just let them wrap around naturally where they want to go IMO and keep the majority of pressure like it's still a 2 finger grip but with more control.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:46 PM
Par Member

Hello,

Today I went outside to practice throwing out in the field with different grips. It went alright. I'll post images below and what I felt with each grip. I also tried to do the swimming technique because my off-arm doesn't do anything at all but it was really hard to make off-arm do something.

Three finger grip

How did three finger grip feel like?
  • It felt good
  • Felt like power grip
  • Rip point was middle finger sadly

Modified three finger grip

How did modified three finger grip feel like?
  • It felt like ring and middle finger wanted to slip away. It was like holding a wet disc almost.
  • Ring, Middle and Pinky fingers were the last ones to touch the disc on release.
  • Bad releases
  • It feels alright to hold the disc like that but when throwing it then it feels bad.
  • Less distance

Two finger grip

How did two finger grip feel like?
  • It felt as good as three finger grip.
  • Less control of the disc
  • Comes out of the hand too easily.
  • Threw it as far as I would with 3-4 fingers under the disc.
  • Rip point was index finger.

Four finger grip

How did four finger grip feel like?
  • It feels as good as two and three finger grips but a bit better.
  • Goes just as far as other grips mentioned above excluding modified three finger grip. Other grips distance went further than modified one.
  • Better angle control.
  • Rip point was sometimes index finger and sometimes middle finger.

Ezra Aderhold Power Grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8YoCok-KPo
1:13 in that video

Questions:
  1. Ezra Aderhold is using the textbook power grip and bombs discs far away. Is thumb placement important in this game or the feel of the disc in your hand > better thumb placement? What's the difference between thumb lined up with index finger, pressuring against each other on the same disc point vs not lined up and pressuring between different spots (thumb more far away than index finger just like in Ezra's video)?
  2. How are my grips in the pictures I put? What are the good grips and what are the bad ones? What should I continue with based on the feeling I wrote when I threw discs?
  3. Why does the disc have stay away from the palm? In the Ezra Aderhold video, I can see that his palm is on the disc. Any differences or benefits between palm on the disc and not?
  4. Pros doing the swim move and counter-shifting in the videos. Is there any benefit to the off-arm swim move? Faster spin? More distance? Better balance? Better rotation?
  5. Should I straighten my off-arm near my hips till I feel my triceps then make it counter-shift the weight by going back a bit then follow the throwing motion to end by flexing it over in front of my face just like pros do in the video? I don't really understand how should one do this without thinking about it. It's like muscle memory for them but how did they start with this?
  6. Is there a drill that could help me use my off-arm before throwing the disc it (swim move) or it just comes with practice by focusing on the off-arm before throwing? I tried doing that but it threw my rhythm off and it was hard to release the disc when focusing on my off-arm.

Last edited by SmileyBoy; 04-22-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 257
Niced 7,299 Times in 4,194 Posts

1. It's mostly about feel. Everyone has different hands. Grip the tool you are using/swinging.

2. Hard to tell in pics. What you call modified 3 finger is a 4 finger grip, looks kind of like Climo fork grip but weaker - I would advise to look it up.

3. It doesn't have to be in or out of the palm, just being more out of the palm is something to try that often helps, especially if the disc is pivoting off finger other than index.

4. Biggest thing is to get the rear arm forward, squeezing all your weight into the front leg. After that comes the paddle back, some do, some don't. I don't think of it as a rotational move, it's a leverage move.

5. Don't worry about it, just get it forward.

6. You can either keep the rear hand on the rear thigh and push against it like Marc Jarvis, or try making a big circle like Linus Astrom.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:18 PM
Par Member

Hello,

It has been a while since I have uploaded a video. Weather here has been bad for a few days. One time I practiced while it was raining hail but it did not go well. Other times, there was rain and snow snowing. But, I did not stop practicing. I did drills at home, weight shifting, reachback, body rotation, power pocket and so on. At some nights the weather is good so doing my field work. I enjoy doing it because it's fun.

Back view video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltWxx0LAKQg
Side view video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0VoJHK_lXQ

This is the grip I settled in with. Feels good in my hand, comfortable, index finger is the rip point, can put any angles I want comfortably.

Questions:
  1. Why isn't my distance improving when throwing Discraft Buzzz (don't know the mold but disc plastic feels a bit hard), Innova Champion Mako3 and Discraft Buzzz OS?
  2. How can I improve my distance more? (I am stuck throwing Buzzz and Mako3 250 ft - 272 ft constantly, a little bit less with Buzzz OS, always around 230 ft - 247 ft)
  3. How can I put hyzer angles without bending over too much or is the amount of bending for hyzer angle normal in my videos above? My mako3's and Buzzz discs are too flippy and I have to put good amount of hyzer angle to make it not flip over to right. I don't have any other disc to throwing distance when I'm playing with midranges only. Is it time to play with drivers or fairways?
  4. Sometimes I throw the disc straight to the ground. What could be the issue?
  5. Sometimes I don't give enough height for the disc to fly. What could be the issue?
Please advise.

I'm looking forward to your replies.

Regards,
SmileyBoy

Last edited by SmileyBoy; 04-29-2021 at 02:22 PM. Reason: more questions