Old 06-29-2022, 03:34 PM

Niced 34 Times in 16 Posts
Default Flatpad teepads

Hi all,

We are manufacturing teepads. They are done from galvanized steel and designed to used with artificial turf. Currently we have five different sizes available.

Some features
- module based
- fast to install
- can be moved
- safe to use

Some video links to get a quick idea

https://youtu.be/WQMb8VlIr2w
https://youtu.be/B_KmvAKSu5Q

Just wanted to share our teepad design and hear your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2022, 03:46 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 444 Times in 223 Posts

Cool concept, $2,000 for a standard size teepad seems...steep.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:00 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 195 Times in 104 Posts

Interesting. I don't know if these are only meant to be temporary, but I know that with astroturf tees they can stay wet, hold mud and become slick. I don't know how you are backing the turf so it doesn't slip, but I would consider some way for the metal surface to drain water and help air out the turf.

Other thought is the height. The large tee takes care of this, but running up on a tee pad and having to jump up onto it adds a layer of complication. If there were a way to decrease the height and maintain the structure, that might be more popular.

Hope that helps. Sure you get some better informed opinions than mine.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 278
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8,857 Times in 3,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore1998 View Post
Cool concept, $2,000 for a standard size teepad seems...steep.
18 hole course, dual tee pads...............$75,000 US dollars.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 107
Niced 497 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatpad View Post
Just wanted to share our teepad design and hear your thoughts.
1. Dangerous - since it apparently is designed to sit as much as 10-12 inches above the surrounding ground with the sides available for advertising according to one of the videos. Someone who steps or slips off the end could end up injured.

2. Cannot tell the dimensions. It seems that all but the largest size may be too small, but again, no dimensions are given.

3. In one video, you can see the carpet moving on the top of the smooth pad with the plant foot. That might not be an issue for some, but if the carpet were to tear at one of the self-drilling screws, that might end up in an injury.

4. Looks like it is fast and easy to install.

5. Looks way, way, way too expensive. Even with the recent change in fuel and material costs, I can get steel-framed, concrete tee pads that are movable for less than half the price. A poured-on-site concrete pad likely costs a tenth of the price in the US. Ground contact rated wood frames could be built and topped with ground contact plywood for much less money and would likely last just as long.

6. With that somewhat loose carpet and sand carried by players' shoes, that zinc plating is going to wear off and the relatively thin (16ga?) steel is going to weaken or rust through after a few years.

It is an interesting idea, but as long as you don't mind renting and operating a back hoe or suitably sized track hoe, it has nothing worth the price on movable concrete pads that don't need a carpet topping.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-30-2022, 01:36 AM

Niced 34 Times in 16 Posts

Lot's of comments here. Thanks.

I'll answer to the lasts post first.

1. It is not dangerous, actually just opposite. It's safe due on engineering there's been taken into account standards regarding for building safe sporting site and equipment's. Height is not a problem at all. Higher teepads are quite common in disc golf. Important aspect is that you have clear visual perception of the teepad, so you can see it and set your steps accordingly.

2. Sizes are given on the website. One module is 2 * 1 meters (6.56 feet * 3.28 feet), so depeding how many is installed the size can be adjusted. Biggest one we sell is 2 * 5 meters. So 6.56 feet * 16.4 feet. Length an be extended without limitation if needed.

3. Turf moving on the video is due missing sand on it. That's purely because teepad was installed to that place only for filming. Sanding of the turf is actually essential and needs to be done with right type of sand. Also amount and method how it's applied is very important. No issues when done correctly. Good that you pointed this out.

4. It is fast and easy to install. After some practice you can install the biggest one in less than half en hour. Can be installed on slopes, after digging some dirt to make the ground flat enough. Can be installed under ground partially too.

5. Pricing is always something to debate. Customers who are willing to pay for easy and fast installation don't complain about the price. This is available as a factory built product, without any planning of your own. So the value is built in to the products.

6. Engineering has chosen the right materials. So hot dip galvanized steel with thick enough coating. It is done by using standard's so no guessing on this. Standard's takes into account the surrounding air too. Our material is protected even dipped in sea water. So no need to worry about this.

For others. As said pricing is the one to debate. In the end customers will make the decisions based on the needs and also how they see the value. Of course it's important that the information given is right.

The installation can be done temporary or permanent. The platform is designed to be raised of the ground and airy. This is to ensure that water will flow away and ventilation over and around is achieved. Therefor water wont accumulate on it and after rain drying is rapid. We have installed and use this also in winter time. Actually in spring, sun's energy is enough to heat up the deck and dries out the snow. Also snow melts under so it's really lot of heat that absorbs on the teepad.

"18 hole course, dual tee pads...............$75,000 US dollars."

For this last one. I would argue that 18 hole course, dual teepads... Done in two days.

I hope that I managed to answer well enough. You can always ask more and I'm happy to answer them all. And thanks for the interest.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 103 Times in 34 Posts

it's a great idea and a good design. If you could get your costs down or maybe experiment with different materials to do so I could see them being used. Cost is always going to be the number 1 factor especially in disc golf which is loaded with cheapskates.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 9
Niced 2,467 Times in 1,229 Posts

How much does it cost to put in a good permanent concrete tee pad?
Old 06-30-2022, 11:02 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 444 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
How much does it cost to put in a good permanent concrete tee pad?
We just put in new pads 5'x12'....about $200/pad.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 278
Niced 8,857 Times in 3,031 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions.

The product and idea look terrific. I don't think there is any way around the cost prohibitive nature of these pads, for most of disc golf, as it is set up today. My take is that most courses installed are on municipal land, done so by clubs and parks systems. I have been involved in many tee pad funding efforts and even concrete ones ($200 x 36 = $7200) are the biggest financial challenge. I was just at a random dubs, put on for the sole purpose of pad fund raising and raised $180. If the sport continues to see privatization and pay to play as the way forward, ventures like this could find a real foothold. I just don't see this kind of cost fitting into today's game. Only my opinion. I wish Flatpad well and hope we continue to see interest in our "industry".