Old 07-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default End of season form. Critique and practise help

Old thread got too old so I could't reply to it. I've had some ups and downs tournament wise. I'm averaging about 940 though current rating is around 955. Screwed up on home course last weekend and played 875 and 910. Drives were off and my putting confidence was low. Lots of wind beat me and I couldnt keep my head cool. Now I got 3 big tournaments coming up. This is my schedule going forward and I'm wondering how to best spend my time practising.

Norwegian tour 6-7 aug
Norwegian tour 20-21 aug
EUropean Disc Golf Championship 22-28 aug
Norwegian Championship 3-7 sept

Basically I got two weeks before first tour and then two more weeks before 3 crazy weeks with national tour, EDGC and Norwegian championships.

Im thinking:
- putting practise twice each day. Focus sessions inside no wind and outside in wind. Building a solid routine and build confidence in wind and from 25' and out.
-Working on drive form each day, building consistency and effortless throw and couple league rounds last week before tournaments to get used to pressure and flow of play.

Form wise this is what Im working with. Maxing out at 425' but not bracing well and not getting weight over disc and forward. Liking the one leg drill and have been doing that a couple days now. These vids im not throwing for max D but slowed my runup a bit and trying to swing back without over extending while pull through lower than before. Some inconsistency with throwing slightly to the right.

Roc3 about 320 feet. Hard to measure.

FD, tern and leopards about 350-380'.

Putting from about 25'. Anything that stands out or should I keep throwing like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2016, 07:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,134 Times in 1,389 Posts

I throw similar range so it's hard for me to help/spot things. I'm interested to see SW22's feedback. What looks off to me is that I think you are opening your upper body early. Your stride and setup are going a bit left, and your release is always 15+ degrees right of where you are set up to throw it seems.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:17 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Yeah, been inconsistent with timing and compensating by moving to the left when doing straight lines. After season ends in sept, Ill have time to rebuild my form to a good base starting from stand stills and indoor drills.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,185 Times in 1,367 Posts

Yeah, both you guys are doing the same thing. Pull hooking or yanking, instead of a straight froward swing. You are closing your stance in the extreme, but not closing your front hip/shifting weight from behind you and keeping the upper arm wide. See how KJ's stance is more feet inline to the shot, and we can see more of his front hip as he turned it and his foot further back into the plant and his arm is much wider into the weight shift and swinging through.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Throwing P2-putter about 320 feet.

I think it looks and feels much better than before. I've focused on clearing my front hip, falling more into the brace, better upper body and posture in my opinion. Noticing less pull hooking than before. Nose more over toes. Better weight shift and left arm. I'm looking for confirmation of improvement as well as critique and tweaks.

It's about 1 year since I first posted here. I really appreciate all the help I've gotten so far.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah looking pretty good, still hooking a little bit/hugging slightly - keep your upper arm wider/front shoulder more closed/forward rather than going around. Distance shots should be thrown more out to the left and turn over right to glide out further.

Note how closed their front shoulder still is when the disc swings through:
Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks a lot. It's funny you post Espen as we play together in the same disc golf club and I beat him last year at a local c-tier, but he throws much better than me. He thinks I look a bit stiff and could reach back more. I guess first work on closed shoulder and not hugging, maybe bradley walker and beto drill, then work more on reach back and shot shaping for more distance?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosjnur View Post
Thanks a lot. It's funny you post Espen as we play together in the same disc golf club and I beat him last year at a local c-tier, but he throws much better than me. He thinks I look a bit stiff and could reach back more. I guess first work on closed shoulder and not hugging, maybe bradley walker and beto drill, then work more on reach back and shot shaping for more distance?
I'm a fan of Espen's form, and agree with his advice. Loosen up your backswing with a wider arm like KJ. Your shoulder should turn further back when you have a wider upper arm - it's basically the closed shoulder drill but turned back and extending the elbow without changing the upper arm angle.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 214 Times in 148 Posts

Man, this is great stuff. Very inspiring, and I hope I can get to the point you're at in a year. One thing that helped me with closed shoulder is simply doing slow pulls with a towel and really concentrating on the shoulder staying closed until the very last moment. To me it feels like my hand is almost curled around the disc, but when you look at video it's on the outside where it belongs.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
Man, this is great stuff. Very inspiring, and I hope I can get to the point you're at in a year. One thing that helped me with closed shoulder is simply doing slow pulls with a towel and really concentrating on the shoulder staying closed until the very last moment. To me it feels like my hand is almost curled around the disc, but when you look at video it's on the outside where it belongs.
Toss a sledgehammer around, then you will understand closed.

Niced: (1)