Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

https://youtu.be/fWfJuletyaY
Not much has changed it looks like
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2017, 09:23 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 135 Times in 107 Posts

Getting a tad ahead of yourself. Don't worry about looking at your target, your body does the aiming, but building that trust can be difficult. I am by no means great at form yet, but I find I get way more accuracy and power when I just try to look perpendicular from my body and let my arm whip past and open my body after the shot. That will allow you to get your elbow a lot more forward and that leads to more power.

edit: looking back in the thread it's basically the same thing SW said in his first response.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Par Member

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Seems to be something I have not been able to change. it doesnt feel like i am looking forward when I am throwing, but video doesnt lie. what do you think is the best way to break the habit? should I be doing standstills and throw while looking straight ahead? should i do my normal runup, but, focus on something straight away? or should I be moving my head back and actively trying to keep it there? my body would move my head once I follow through, or is that wrong. idk. its pretty engrained at this point, any tips to break the habit?
Old 12-04-2017, 04:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,186 Times in 1,368 Posts

1. You are setting up open with chest facing the target and trying to shift from the front. You should be sideways so your shoulders are closed. See Closed Shoulder Drill and links to threads about the "shift from behind". Your upper arm should be much wider so your elbow is forward.

2. You are not swinging upright from you front leg. See One Leg Drill, also related to "shift from behind".
Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,134 Times in 1,389 Posts

If you have access to a baseball bat, try swinging it lefty so it's the same motion. If your right arm drags with a straight elbow like it is now, all the acceleration will be taking the bat around you and it'll yank you backwards once your right shoulder is opened up. Basically the weight of the bat will give you feedback to where your acceleration is...and that it's at the wrong point of the throw rather than targetwards through the ball, or rather the snap of the disc being in front of you and downfield. You could definitely do this with a hammer too, and it's a nice heavy and shorter lever...but it's harder to swing hard without throwing, but throwing it in a safe place is fine.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Par Member

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
If you have access to a baseball bat, try swinging it lefty so it's the same motion. If your right arm drags with a straight elbow like it is now, all the acceleration will be taking the bat around you and it'll yank you backwards once your right shoulder is opened up. Basically the weight of the bat will give you feedback to where your acceleration is...and that it's at the wrong point of the throw rather than targetwards through the ball, or rather the snap of the disc being in front of you and downfield. You could definitely do this with a hammer too, and it's a nice heavy and shorter lever...but it's harder to swing hard without throwing, but throwing it in a safe place is fine.
I will find something similar to a bat if nothing else, so I can try. Seems theres so much wrong when I go to work on it, its hard to keep track. Main things I take away are that my head moves to target when I need to keep it from moving. Next is that my elbow is low, or close to the body. I need to extend it out, straight in front of me, right? I am ahead of the shot, not shifting from behind, as when I am releasing, it looks like I am just starting to transfer. Last thing I see is my back leg doesnt go forward into the shot at all, then just swings around. Which fault do i need to fix above all first? Head? Keeping my elbow straight out? Been playing about 6 or 7 years, and am stuck in intermediate, and there are quite a few guys that throw farther than me pretty easily. I am pretty accurate for the most part and throw putters 240-260, mids 250-290, fairways 280-320ish, and drivers up to about 360. Looking to fix one thing at a time, and Im a little lost where to start
Old 12-04-2017, 06:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,134 Times in 1,389 Posts

Everything comes from the ground up. That being said before you focus on that journey I would fix the upper arm thing. Getting your arm into a decent position/slot will give you easy leverage on the disc with the shoulder and elbow opening naturally at the same time. Once you have the solid upper arm angle and elbow forward position, you can zone that out while you fix the more crucial stuff underneath you. It may appear to change a bit as you modify other parts of your throw, but if it's at a solid base you should have a similar leverage as you keep adjusting other parts of your throw.

For the arm angle, never let your shoulder/upper arm be smaller than 90 degrees. Keep that arm angle wide in reachback, turn forward and let the lower arm and disc swing in, then the whole arm unit will release from the shoulder. This is where going through the motion with a heavy object will show you if you are doing it wrong; that mass will yank at you if things are in the wrong place or timed incorrectly.

Once you aren't getting a squished upper arm angle and disc dragging thing happening, I would move on to the shifting from behind. The way you are shifting your weight makes it impossible to stay balanced, which is why your head is going forward and the left leg is swinging around so quickly. These things will start to sort themselves out as you shift from behind and are landing on the plant in balance.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 135 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinf67 View Post
Seems to be something I have not been able to change. it doesnt feel like i am looking forward when I am throwing, but video doesnt lie. what do you think is the best way to break the habit? should I be doing standstills and throw while looking straight ahead? should i do my normal runup, but, focus on something straight away? or should I be moving my head back and actively trying to keep it there? my body would move my head once I follow through, or is that wrong. idk. its pretty engrained at this point, any tips to break the habit?
Yeah it's tough, I struggle with it myself. Yeah you don't want to "force" anything, but your body will let your head (or really, you can think of it like your spine direction, the head is just the top of the spine) follow through after the shot.

As far as drills go, the closed shoulder drill is probably the best thing.

Last edited by UhhNegative; 12-04-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,186 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinf67 View Post
I will find something similar to a bat if nothing else, so I can try. Seems theres so much wrong when I go to work on it, its hard to keep track. Main things I take away are that my head moves to target when I need to keep it from moving. Next is that my elbow is low, or close to the body. I need to extend it out, straight in front of me, right? I am ahead of the shot, not shifting from behind, as when I am releasing, it looks like I am just starting to transfer. Last thing I see is my back leg doesnt go forward into the shot at all, then just swings around. Which fault do i need to fix above all first? Head? Keeping my elbow straight out? Been playing about 6 or 7 years, and am stuck in intermediate, and there are quite a few guys that throw farther than me pretty easily. I am pretty accurate for the most part and throw putters 240-260, mids 250-290, fairways 280-320ish, and drivers up to about 360. Looking to fix one thing at a time, and Im a little lost where to start
It all has to do with the "shift from behind" or One Leg Drill. Once all your weight/lower spine is on the front leg before you swing you are free to do whatever with your head. I prefer to watch my arm/disc the entire time to see what kind of angles I'm putting on them and I value my health. Keeping your head down or head still is absolute nonsense and a good way to injure yourself, it's finally being labeled as the worst advice in ball golf, but for whatever stupid reason is being introduced into disc golf more and more. The appearance the head being still has nothing to do the head itself, but with what is happening in the lower body underneath the head.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...st+advice+head

Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Par Member

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Everything comes from the ground up. That being said before you focus on that journey I would fix the upper arm thing. Getting your arm into a decent position/slot will give you easy leverage on the disc with the shoulder and elbow opening naturally at the same time. Once you have the solid upper arm angle and elbow forward position, you can zone that out while you fix the more crucial stuff underneath you. It may appear to change a bit as you modify other parts of your throw, but if it's at a solid base you should have a similar leverage as you keep adjusting other parts of your throw.

For the arm angle, never let your shoulder/upper arm be smaller than 90 degrees. Keep that arm angle wide in reachback, turn forward and let the lower arm and disc swing in, then the whole arm unit will release from the shoulder. This is where going through the motion with a heavy object will show you if you are doing it wrong; that mass will yank at you if things are in the wrong place or timed incorrectly.

Once you aren't getting a squished upper arm angle and disc dragging thing happening, I would move on to the shifting from behind. The way you are shifting your weight makes it impossible to stay balanced, which is why your head is going forward and the left leg is swinging around so quickly. These things will start to sort themselves out as you shift from behind and are landing on the plant in balance.
As my shot is pretty engrained, keeping the elbow really wide feels odd. Havent had time to video anything, but, the next time i can, I will video some standstills, while keeping my elbow really wide.So, the idea is the keep the elbow straight in front of the right shoulder, almost jabbing it straight in front of me? Im sure if i practice this it will feel more natural, but, I rewatched some RHatton videos on elbow drive and it seemed to make sense. Very foreign feeling though.

UhhNegative, closed shoulder drill seems like the best one for me to break the habit, but, Ive never been able to translate it when I try it. I dont get that power or pop when i tried it. I think maybe i didnt have my elbow wide enough though. when he does the talking about it, his elbow is down by his chest, but, when he throws, it looks much wider. so maybe i just misunderstood. gonna watch some slow mo of it.

So, should I video myself doing the closed shoulder drill? or one leg drill? what would make it easier to diagnose?