Old 02-17-2019, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,100 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-J View Post
The set up can be much slower now and I think thats a good sign.
Yeah I think that's right. I feel like the backswing and how the lower body turns back sets you up so the lower body/butt is closer to the target and the plant leg. Then it's a smaller lateral move to put the balance onto the plant leg, drop down, start the forward motion. So it all goes hand in hand, and like you said it feels slower or like there's no rush. Each part sets you up for the next one naturally, so the sequence just makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2019, 05:32 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Injured my left hip yesterday, not bad but I did things clearly very wrong. Tried to force things again which led to horse stance(forced balance) no shift and awkward twisting of the left hip while still weighted. It is frustrating because this is impossible to do with anything that is not as light as the disc. I find it very hard to translate the feeling of the hammer swings to disc swinging. The disc relies much more on feeling the weight of the arm which I'm not really good at. My grip with the hammer is automatically loose because it is the only way to swing freely. The disc is so light that I want to grip it like a pen. Many small muscles activated which leads to stiffer arm. Never really thought the grip had so much to do with having the arm loose.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,100 Times in 1,372 Posts

I couldn't translate the feeling from heavy levers to disc until I let my arm really "go" and continue its momentum. Like with a golf club the backswing pulls your lead arm up with it, then you drop down and THEN you swing. It's the free-wheeling feeling and having the arm have its own momentum feeling. I had to feel the hammer and forearm as a unit, that was just able to flex/hinge a bit...rather than that wrist point as being a separation of "units" or weight. With a disc I then started feeling the entire forearm, like elbow to disc, as the weighted part that I was trying to swing and move. The forearm becomes the baseball bat.

I used to have to practice these swings or feelings in drills with something in my hand, like a towel even. I couldn't figure out why SW is so anti-towel. Now I can just have nothing in my hand and go through the motions feeling my forearm or arm's weight. I'm not taking full swings like that, just that I'm able to feel if I have leverage and control of the weight from just my arm.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:01 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Came up with a promising grip a few days ago I want some clarification if I'm on the right track here. Basically I just grip 80% of the swing with my pinky and ring fingers very loosely. Other fingers dont really do anything. The pinky and ring fingers just keep the disc aligned with my forearm while the nose of the disc sort of just hangs there. The need to grip the disc is now significantly later than before and the other fingers seem to activate on their own when the disc starts to feel heavy.