Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 255
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 186 Times in 68 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Cale got lucky there was more wind this year. The new holes a bit but I'd say the wind was more a factor for them not shooting as well.
^ This x1000.

The significant & swirling winds on both Saturday and Sunday were the only reason that multiple players didn’t shoot -15 or better every round.

This tournament layout still needs considerable work if it is to be contested again next year. Even with hole#17, it’s essentially a wide open chuck fest which is a poor overall test of disc golf skills. With par set so embarrassingly off, it’s also a terrible look for the sport.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2021, 12:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 54
Niced 6,918 Times in 3,505 Posts

Northern midwest states tend a lot of sandy soil that doesn't hold water. The grass doesn't take long to turn brown if they aren't getting regular rain in the summer.

I went to summer camp in Wisconsin before my freshman year of HS and it was the same there. Sandy soil and lots of tall pines.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,525 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shide View Post
Looks like Kristin will walk away with another victory before going home. Or rather, sprinting away from the competition.
Damn shame she (& the rest of the world) didn’t get a chance to play in the states sooner. Gotta believe if she had been in the states a few weeks before Worlds, she would have had a much better chance at giving Cat & Paige a run at the title. (Feels like stating the obvious saying that).
The lesson to be learned for Kristin is to play a tournament in the US before Worlds.
She had 3 things against her att Worlds.

She had just come to the US . . .and the heat
She hurt her sholder in the warmup
She had the BIG pressure of being the only European player.

But what a US tour she does!! 6 tournaments, 4 wins . . .hope she comes back soon and that Eveliina and Henna comes over to, would be SO fun to see a FPO tournament this year with all the top players.

EDIT...looks like Kristin basicly made a 3rd of her Career Earnings in the last few weeks!!

Last edited by Jolt; 08-02-2021 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 647 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
We need rain BAD.
Y'all can have it, it only seems to be nice on the days that I'm stuck working most of the day.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-02-2021, 04:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 355 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
That's how the course looked when I played it last year in June. Very brown, lots of patchy dead/dying grass. If anything it looks worse this year on the coverage. I don't know anything about grass but I'd bet it's something to do with the types of grasses used on golf courses. Coupled with it being a former golf course, for who knows how long.

But I can say that it was bone dry in Duluth a couple weeks ago. So it's to be expected in Clearwater too, but definitely not as appealing looking as all the other ball golf courses on tour. That's putting it as nicely as I can.
I know the old greens don't have much for the grass to root down into, and they don't look good at all. The fairways last year seemed pretty hit and miss.

Cale might need to do some kind of seeding campaign as the course matures. Get some grass that doesn't need to be managed like b.golf courses or need daily maintenance.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:32 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 355
Niced 7,594 Times in 3,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
...looks like Kristin basicly made a 3rd of her Career Earnings in the last few weeks!!
Payouts seem to be higher than ever before, in general, but I wouldn't be surprised if the DGPT events are some of the highest paying anywhere, at least the last couple of years. Maybe that will help attract some of the other players from Europe to join the tour for a month or two.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 122
Niced 4,399 Times in 1,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle pennybags View Post
I know the old greens don't have much for the grass to root down into, and they don't look good at all. The fairways last year seemed pretty hit and miss.

Cale might need to do some kind of seeding campaign as the course matures. Get some grass that doesn't need to be managed like b.golf courses or need daily maintenance.
It's a tough nut to crack. Golf courses are built for drainage first and foremost. They are also built with the idea that there is going to be high nitrogen fertilizer pumped onto them on a very regular basis. Once that stops you are left with a bunch of soil with very little inherent nutritive value. Simply re-seeding is not going to work without actually putting down sod or putting a regular feeding schedule in place both of which are quite expensive. (I am in the second year of working on a similar project to The Preserve.)

Old 08-02-2021, 07:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 122
Niced 4,399 Times in 1,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lung View Post
^ This x1000.

The significant & swirling winds on both Saturday and Sunday were the only reason that multiple players didn’t shoot -15 or better every round.

This tournament layout still needs considerable work if it is to be contested again next year. Even with hole#17, it’s essentially a wide open chuck fest which is a poor overall test of disc golf skills. With par set so embarrassingly off, it’s also a terrible look for the sport.
I think the idea that it is a "terrible look" is more a product of the seemingly endless inferiority complex of disc golfers than it is an actual reaction from those outside the sport. While it might be nice for some pars to be adjusted, for the second year in a row this event has come down to the last shot in determining a victor. The 3 best players in the world were engaged in compelling tight competition coming down the stretch. What's not to like about that?

Old 08-02-2021, 08:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 88
Niced 850 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I think the idea that it is a "terrible look" is more a product of the seemingly endless inferiority complex of disc golfers than it is an actual reaction from those outside the sport. While it might be nice for some pars to be adjusted, for the second year in a row this event has come down to the last shot in determining a victor. The 3 best players in the world were engaged in compelling tight competition coming down the stretch. What's not to like about that?
I agree, I don't really like the -35 tournaments, but I don't believe it's a terrible look. I would much rather see a good battle and the winner go -35 than someone winning by 5 strokes with a score of -10.

The FPO tourney was pretty much over after round 1 and there was absolutely no doubt who would win 1/2 through round 2. So even though they shot much closer to par, for me it was not an interesting tournament to watch.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,525 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Payouts seem to be higher than ever before, in general, but I wouldn't be surprised if the DGPT events are some of the highest paying anywhere, at least the last couple of years. Maybe that will help attract some of the other players from Europe to join the tour for a month or two.
If the Preserve ends up with a $5000 payout Kristin will have made $15735 in her mini US tour just in tournament payouts..

That should make some noice among the European FPO players