Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 07-31-2021, 07:57 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 148 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Nice to see street skating this year. An old school friend of mine designed the street course.
We had an early park in Texas called Wizard Skate Park, but it was before anyone knew how to design a skate park. It was a huge concrete mess with fiberglass rental boards. One bowl was so small pretty much nobody could skate it. It's been mind blowing to watch the sport evolve, as my first board was a plank with metal skate wheels.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-31-2021, 08:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,528 Times in 1,394 Posts

After Sweden just took first and 2nd in Discus the sport "most similar" to throwing a disc its fun to see how HUGE those guys are. . .and most discgolf players are very slim
Old 07-31-2021, 11:00 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 355
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7,607 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
After Sweden just took first and 2nd in Discus the sport "most similar" to throwing a disc its fun to see how HUGE those guys are. . .and most discgolf players are very slim
It may seem the most similar at a quick glance... to people who've never played DG or even ultimate. But the mechanics and technique are about as different as can be, and I know you know that.

Primarily because there's a huge difference between 2kg with zero glide (1kg for women), and 170g with lots of glide. Throwing that kind of mass for distance requires harnessing power very differently than DG.

That said, those things never get flippy, even in the stiffest of headwinds... but damned if they don't they wreak havoc on baskets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
That would be cool to see disc golf in the Olympics...at 3:15 AM

Me and Brutus would be the only ones watching
I'd catch the taped coverage. Bet the Jomez crew could teach them a thing or eight about video coverage.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-31-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 171
Niced 956 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Sometimes I get these really stupid ideas. What if they put a couple of baskets out there? Exhibition sport?

I thought of it first!
Old 07-31-2021, 11:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,429 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassila View Post
The Olympic Charter indicates that in order to be accepted, a sport must be widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents and by women in no fewer than 40 countries and on three continents.

I'm a little surprised that: sport climbing, skateboarding, sailing, trampoline, and surfing meet this standard, but disc golf does not.
Sports are more broadly categorized as DISCIPLINES. The specific sports you reference that are a part of the olympics are a part of more broad DISCIPLINES that are practiced int he requisite number of sports. Disc golf is merely a type of DISC SPORT. As long as DISC SPORTS are practiced in at least X number of countries, we can be included as a specialized variant, along with others like ulti, freestyle, etc.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-31-2021, 11:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
That would be cool to see disc golf in the Olympics...at 3:15 AM

Me and Brutus would be the only ones watching
If DG got its self into the Olympics I can promise I would be a viewer of any live coverage (or post produced.. ****ing ANYTHING).
Old 07-31-2021, 11:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
McBeth is safe he doesn’t even drink. Probably Ricky after the lime scare too, I can’t see him smoking if he won’t even eat a carb.
As someone who knew Rick as a kid, and who knows people who know Rick... I don't think he'd be someone we'd need to worry about. He has a strong sense of responsibility toward his body if not necessarily toward arbitrary rules.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 637
Niced 3,076 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'd catch the taped coverage. Bet the Jomez crew could teach them a thing or eight about video coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
If DG got its self into the Olympics I can promise I would be a viewer of any live coverage (or post produced.. ****ing ANYTHING).
I was being a smartass there. I was more referring to the Olympics coverage in general, especially "niche" sports. And NBC's stranglehold over that said coverage over the years. Best have Peacock or whatever they're doing nowadays.

And as far as post-pro. That's my jam, Jomez preferabley. If you check the credits, this guy has been a founder's club member for alomost 2 years. You gotta look closely

Old 08-01-2021, 06:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 88
Niced 851 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Sports are more broadly categorized as DISCIPLINES. The specific sports you reference that are a part of the olympics are a part of more broad DISCIPLINES that are practiced int he requisite number of sports. Disc golf is merely a type of DISC SPORT. As long as DISC SPORTS are practiced in at least X number of countries, we can be included as a specialized variant, along with others like ulti, freestyle, etc.
What???

My point was that I doubted if skateboarding, trampoline, sport climbing, etc. were "widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries..." as the Olympic Charter requires, yet disc golf doesn't meet that standard.