Old 06-22-2020, 08:22 PM

Years Playing: 3.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Form Reconstruction

I have disc golfed for about 3 years but have never put too much effort into form because it was mostly a social activity. Well, after years of getting beat by 15+ strokes and maxing out at 200', I got tired and started to work on my form. So, for the last two months I have gorged myself with videos by HeavyDisc, sidewinder22, Schusterick, etc. and practiced on a semi-regular basis.

I had an extreme problem with rounding and strong-arming my throws, so I would end up with a sore shoulder after most rounds. Historically, I have used a full walk-up, but it was one of the first things I ditched. So now I use a stand-still drive. I now float around 175-225' (Leopard3, Mako3, and TL) depending on the throw but have become far more accurate (I've taken off about 10 strokes) after working on a straight pull and eliminating the walk-up. I'd like to reach 300' consistently and have reliable accuracy with my throws.

Just watching myself throw I can see plenty of areas that I need to work on, but I'd like to have some more experienced players dissect my form and give me advice on how to fix it. In the video below I'm throwing a series of discs into a 3' high net so I aim somewhat downwards with my throws.

https://youtu.be/pxGRNSAP3D0
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2020, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 222
Niced 3,529 Times in 2,159 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

1. I wouldn't practice with the dog like that, that is way too distracting to actually focus on throwing.

2. Your starting/setup stance is too wide which restricts your mobility/athleticism. Start in about shoulder width stance and take a short 3-6" stride like a baseball hitter. Your front foot is turned back too far in the last 2, plant closer 90. Your rear foot also appears to be a little pigeon toed in, I would turn the rear foot back some like 135 degrees pointed away from target.

3. Your arm is tensed up and muscling/pulling the disc from the body, instead of using your body and arm together with arm being loose yet pulled taut swing like ball on string/whip. You aren't really hugging yourself or rounding/but the drill should help connect your body and arm.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:33 PM

Years Playing: 3.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice sidewinder22. Although it may seem strange, I've practiced with my dog so much that I don't notice him while I'm throwing, but it's probably a good idea to have him somewhere else. The funny thing is with my feet positioning. I purposely turn my front foot inward because I've seen it recommended quite often to finish the walk up that way so the hips aren't in an open position. As for the back foot, I (think I) remember watching some Danny Lindahl videos where he critiques people because their back foot is more than 90 degrees away from the target, so I try to prevent my back foot from pointing backwards. Maybe it's time to try something different
Old 06-22-2020, 10:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalinity73 View Post
Thanks for the advice sidewinder22. Although it may seem strange, I've practiced with my dog so much that I don't notice him while I'm throwing, but it's probably a good idea to have him somewhere else. The funny thing is with my feet positioning. I purposely turn my front foot inward because I've seen it recommended quite often to finish the walk up that way so the hips aren't in an open position. As for the back foot, I (think I) remember watching some Danny Lindahl videos where he critiques people because their back foot is more than 90 degrees away from the target, so I try to prevent my back foot from pointing backwards. Maybe it's time to try something different
There is no one-size fits all set of advice for everybody. People have different issues and are built differently, so to help correct their issue/s, the advice will be different or maybe even the opposite.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:58 PM
* Ace Member *

http://www.golfwrx.com/91935/method-teaching/