Old 06-23-2020, 08:38 PM

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Looking for Feedback

First of all, just want to say big thanks to sidewinder22/seabas22 and HyzerUniBomber/HeavyDisc/ExcuseMyTriceratops for all your videos and contributions with disc golf form.

Background:
I never grew up playing sports competitively, which I guess is a double-edged sword -- some people have movements/motions that translate over; however if taught wrong, could be a pain to fix. I don't consider myself athletic but I'm not on the opposite end either.

In any case, I've had to learn from reading (dating all the way back to BlakeT wisdom drops on DGR), watching YT videos (seabas22, loopghost, shawn clement, etc.), and then attempting in the field -- wash, rinse, repeat. Some things have clicked and translated while some have not.

I've been able to have some consistency in getting out to work on form in the last few months due to the pandemic.

I do a walk-up and hit about average 350' on golf line.

Apologies for not having a back view and the camera being vertical -- I didn't bring the tripod and just stuck it in my backpack.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by LYang; 06-23-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 222
Niced 3,529 Times in 2,159 Posts

Your rear leg and stride is funky. Your left foot steps so far behind the right foot you are kind of crouched down and leaning away from target, so it takes a ton of effort to try and get back upright on rear foot, and forward of the rear foot and you end up rising upward going into the plant instead of falling lower into plant and leveraging yourself more forward off the rear foot.

Your balance and rear leg is also in the way of your front leg to stride forward properly, you have to pick up your front leg and go around or outside, instead of letting the leg swing straight thru inside.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=136487

Old 06-23-2020, 10:03 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.

So the Hershyzer drill is one of the ones that has not clicked with me.
I am not sure how much this affects my leg work but I am slightly bowlegged (see pic below)?

From the hershyzer and door frame drills, I know I should be falling butt first and planting where my spine, knee, and foot are in line.

However, from doing dingle arm, pendulum, and windmill exercises with a 2 lb dumbbell, I feel like I have more leverage or power when I plant the way I do -- hence how I walk up right now.

I guess I need to experiment with the stairs and a dumbbell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7971.jpg (118.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYang View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

So the Hershyzer drill is one of the ones that has not clicked with me.
I am not sure how much this affects my leg work but I am slightly bowlegged (see pic below)?

From the hershyzer and door frame drills, I know I should be falling butt first and planting where my spine, knee, and foot are in line.

However, from doing dingle arm, pendulum, and windmill exercises with a 2 lb dumbbell, I feel like I have more leverage or power when I plant the way I do -- hence how I walk up right now.

I guess I need to experiment with the stairs and a dumbbell.
I don't think the bowlegs are the issue. It's sequence of your front leg stepping out ahead of your rear leg drive, instead of your front leg being lagged/slung back behind the rear leg driving forward butt first like a pitcher windup/stride.

I don't think I would do the stairs with a dumbbell. Not sure I'd use a dumbbell for any of my drills.

I've thought about ankle weights before and I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to put one on your front ankle to make you stand/post more upright on rear leg to swing a heavier front leg back and forth like Kick the Can.

Elephant Walk Drill.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post

I don't think I would do the stairs with a dumbbell. Not sure I'd use a dumbbell for any of my drills.

I've thought about ankle weights before and I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to put one on your front ankle to make you stand/post more upright on rear leg to swing a heavier front leg back and forth like Kick the Can.
So there is a difference with using a hammer versus a dumbbell?

I think I actually have ankle weights. This I will try. Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2020, 11:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYang View Post
So there is a difference with using a hammer versus a dumbbell?

I think I actually have ankle weights. This I will try. Thanks again!
Weight distribution, swing weight, and leverage are different. A stick or pipe or flex bar like I use in some of the drills are fine. I really like the flex bar because of the flex on it, can make it whip to the target. Try holding the disc like Chris below and fanning the air out to the target.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:41 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Alright, watched and rewatched Butt Wipe, Door Frame, Hershyzer, Crush the Can, Gas Pedal several times.

This is me attempting to "fall" (hershyzer and gas pedal) into plant.

Some questions from doing the drills and going out to the field:
(1.) I feel like I can "crush the can" a couple of different ways. I can use my lead side (glutes, legs, heel) to come down on the can; however, I can also "gas pedal" and shift my weight over to crush the can. Is it one or the other or both (engaging rear foot AND glutes)?

(2.) From ButtWipe and OneLeg (also Shawn Clement getting the ground), the rotation happens via extension of the leg from the ground up (instep -> hip) right? Currently, I feel like when I "gas pedal" to plant, rotation can just happen (like a bounce). Am I supposed to also assist this by actively pushing off the ground with the lead foot?

I guess I am having difficulty connecting one drill into another. I know I need to get a ton more reps, but hopefully having a better understanding of what should be happening will help.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:20 PM
* Ace Member *

1. Both.
2. Yes.

There is overlap in the drills and exaggerations, they have to be blended together into one fluid smooth motion rather than series of choppy events.

You are leaning back away from the target too much behind your rear foot and the peak of your "reachback" or disc is pushed too far back behind your plant and you start to drag the disc forward striding into the plant, instead of the disc staying more in place while your body moves forward around the disc and shoulder gets pulled back taut like bow and arrow.