Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 283 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
NO. Walk single file and stick to the track until you get as close as possible to the landing mark. Foot traffic all over the fairway makes it impossible for the next group to see their landing marks.
You don’t have to physically walk in the shortest possible line to where your disc lands. I just mean keep an eye on the spot and walk to it. If you throw and then turn around, pick up your bag, check your phone, fiddle with your junk, then take a look down the fairway and decide where to walk.... you probably already forgot where your disc landed.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2019, 05:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 177
Niced 118 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle pennybags View Post
SO walk more like sand people then stormtroopers?
Yes, for the obvious movie reference and the likelihood of hitting an intended line in winter is the same percentage as those "precise" shooting stormtroopers that Ben Kenobi fears so much. But more realistically, the fewer prints on the fairway as possible the better. Not only will it reduce the marks your eyes have to search through, but having multiple lines running all over the place makes it difficult while you are watching your drive to judge which set of prints your disc is nearest.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 735 Times in 343 Posts

I will watch the disc land and pick out a landmark on the correct line, but walk down the fairway as far as possible on established paths. Not only does this keep the fairway clear of distracting footprints for other players, it also helps to delay the inevitable boot sogginess.

When I'm in the right distance range, I'll walk perpendicular to the fairway until I'm lined up between my landmark and the tee.

Yes, playing disc golf in the snow is pretty stupid. But a lot of times, it's better than not playing disc golf!

Niced: (2)
Old 01-22-2019, 07:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 674 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
You don’t have to physically walk in the shortest possible line to where your disc lands. I just mean keep an eye on the spot and walk to it. If you throw and then turn around, pick up your bag, check your phone, fiddle with your junk, then take a look down the fairway and decide where to walk.... you probably already forgot where your disc landed.
In my instance last week, the hillside I threw the disc on was covered with weeds and sagebrush. The snow was choppy and had lots of areas where people and animals had walked through it. Plus, there were areas where the weeds made the ground uneven. I couldn't tell where exactly the disc came down and entered the snow.

I was very lucky to have found that disc at all. It look nearly an hour of persistent searching.

I was a dope to even throw into that mess. No matter where I threw it the disc would have been buried.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 AM

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 63
Niced 14 Times in 5 Posts

Winter disc golf is great in Wisconsin. No mosquitos, deer/horse flies or other insects using you as a food source. Dressing in multiple THIN layers (I use 4 with a wicking tshirt base and windbreaker last) is key. Wind is the thing that will prevent me from going out. Otherwise it's just paying more attention than normal as to where your disc lands. Stop whining!

Old 01-23-2019, 09:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 27
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfartdiscer View Post
Winter disc golf is great in Wisconsin. No mosquitos, deer/horse flies or other insects using you as a food source. Dressing in multiple THIN layers (I use 4 with a wicking tshirt base and windbreaker last) is key. Wind is the thing that will prevent me from going out. Otherwise it's just paying more attention than normal as to where your disc lands. Stop whining!
Totally agree. I played this week in single digit weather (negative temps if including wind chill) and was much more comfortable than I am in mid-summer rounds. Cold and wind can be overcome via enough thin layers of appropriate clothing, whereas heat/humidity/mosquitoes cannot. I still hate slippery teepads and the risk of losing discs under the snow, but overall I find winter frolfin' to be very enjoyable.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Par Member

Niced 115 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Disc Golf Scene is pretty active around here as well. You can often send out an inquiry as to course conditions and get a response.
What is cool about Bandemere is that it's the designated winter dgcourse for a lot of locals round here, so between the weekly leagues and players there the snow gets trampled down fast and someone is always shoveling and salting the pads up.

That's the move, try and organize leagues and people you know to gang up on one local course in the winter, even more people will come out to that one because the conditions won't be as bad.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 139
Niced 971 Times in 425 Posts

I used to have an all white bag for probably 10 - 15 years.

People would always say when they first saw it "what do you do in the snow?!?"

I DON'T PLAY DISC GOLF.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:16 PM
**Stickin'Putts**

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 573
Niced 198 Times in 82 Posts

Heading out to shovel teepads!

Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 42
Niced 67 Times in 25 Posts

I'm not sure I understand anything in this thread. What is S-N-O-W?