Old 03-19-2019, 07:15 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
This reminds me, I just played a local mini with a guy whose primary putter was a 15 year old Champ Aviar. The thing is just fine for putting, and probably for anything (I'd love to see James Conrad throw it), but it's going to be a bear to replace.
Well he can always get a new disc for replacement in the summer and leave it in the car for an hour the sun then put it in a freezer to help with the breakdown process.

My dads main putter is a Juju in supreme and that is like an a flexible Champion plastic. His other Windy putter is the old Pro Rhyno, very similar to the R-Pro out now. I might if my mold of the Magnet was made in Z FLX for a putter use it as my putting putter.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2019, 04:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,287 Times in 753 Posts

I think Paul McBeth uses fresh new putters every round, a bit odd . . lots of people use baseline as all the marks and "dings" on a beaten in base plastic "grabs the chains" better. . . but Paul always use fresh ones.

We need the "slo mo guys" to film som putts hitting the chains
Old 04-02-2019, 12:24 PM
**Stickin'Putts**

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 573
Niced 198 Times in 82 Posts

Just started using a Star Aviar3 for everything outside of 18'. Been working pretty well.

I use a SSS Voodoo for turbo putts anything 18' and in.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 159 Times in 53 Posts

I use R-Pro Aviars. I think they do grab chains, but that's not always an advantage. If you catch the chains pro side, it seems to help, but am side seems to be more likely to spit out.

I feel like the softness of the disc helps it just sort of fall into the chains and drop. The downside is it seems more vulnerable to wind.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 65
Niced 587 Times in 285 Posts

Of the 25 putters in my practice basket 13 are premium plastic, either Q/Champ or Sirius/Star. The rest are DX, Delta T, XT or various Millennium baseline.

They all stick the same for me.

Putt with whatever plastic puts the disc where you want it. If you hit the basket right you make your putt. Relying on “grabby” plastic for the chains is misguided. It’s how the disc leaves your hand that’s important.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:49 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 101 Times in 71 Posts

I've never has a soft putter I liked that a lot say grab the chains. Usually they spit out more than girls looking for dates on the corner haha.

With premium, it has to be worn in a bit so if there is any type of wetness I'm not thinking about it slipping out of the hand.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,076 Times in 538 Posts

My wife putted with S Line P2s for quite a few years. She picked up some of the first run of Eagle stamp P2 to putt with and that was all for the S Line as a putter. (still uses them as approach discs) She said the grip is better, even if the plastic is more firm. The firm plastic helped her release more consistently - which I had been telling her for years Sometimes you just gotta find out for yourself.

I've never seriously bagged any putting putter that isn't D/DX/KC type plastic. I tried putting with Ions when they first came out. Grip was a problem. Couldn't get the finger spring consistently that I need out of my putt, plastic was too slick.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I've never seriously bagged any putting putter that isn't D/DX/KC type plastic. I tried putting with Ions when they first came out. Grip was a problem. Couldn't get the finger spring consistently that I need out of my putt, plastic was too slick.
Fresh MVP putter plastic is the worst for slickness. Got to fight through it and it's ok eventually...but I 100% understand giving up on premium putters if you try to deal with that for a few weeks and they are still slippery in hand.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:36 AM

I curently have 2 Putters in bag and later 2 extra as the plastic for that disc is oop that are a tall nose Magnet, Titanic in the Prostyle. I had to get in that Plastic a max 175 gram disc as the 173-174 gram discs were sold out as that is most popular from Discraft and DGA for putters.

The Prostyle is like a Softer in terms of durability modern ESP the stuff they came out with just before the ESP with numbers on it or a really slick run of X that is almost a soft durability ESP.

I can putt with the Proline Titanic mostly due to the mold being a tad taller so the premium plastic does not cut through the chains as bad as if that disc was a Magnet in ESP. I just got the mold as a hot weather replacement for the Jawbreaker Magnet as those get for me and for others on here a more grip to the point the disc sticks or catches in the hand.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 04-09-2019 at 01:40 AM.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
Of the 25 putters in my practice basket 13 are premium plastic, either Q/Champ or Sirius/Star. The rest are DX, Delta T, XT or various Millennium baseline.

They all stick the same for me.

Putt with whatever plastic puts the disc where you want it. If you hit the basket right you make your putt. Relying on “grabby” plastic for the chains is misguided. It’s how the disc leaves your hand that’s important.
I agree as for years my closer Pro D Magnet Putter was the old Stiff plastic from 2005 before I benched it in 2019 as the disc was so worn it was no longer max weight it was going under 170 grams as it felt like. Now I use 2 Jawberaker for main putters well as recently 2 Proline Titanic as the Jawbreaker has too much grip in the hot weather over 90 F. I did not like how the modern Pro D went soft in the hand but was lacking in grip until the disc was as soft a old Soft Pro D from 2005 or older. I never really liked the Soft Pro D. I do like the Jawbreaker as that is a good grip plastic as apposed to the Pro D that gets slick over time only Jawbreaker has its flaws. If a disc is going to get a little slick over time then the plastic should be stiff like nearer to the bend test limit.