Old 12-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 149 Times in 109 Posts
Question Plastics and Flight

Does the plastic type affect flight or just grip? In others words, will my fission Tesla fly exactly the same as my neutron, proton, and plasma ones will, given all other variables (weight, wear, etc) are identical?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 04:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 52
Niced 827 Times in 490 Posts

Protons and Neutron usually aren't much different from each other. The plh and flatness being the main factors. The eclipse proton, imo, is less glidey. So, generally it is considered more OS than the others. Plasma usually has a bit of dome compared to N and P, which makes it glidier and a tad more US. I've only had one Fission disc, a Photon. I have a N which is only a gram heavier but significantly more OS than the Fiss. F is has a slight dome and N is board flat. Plus, the Fiss plastic actually seasons in a non-geologic timeframe.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 12-11-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:34 PM
* Ace Member *

To add to that, the Sparkle Proton, IME, has been more glidey than reg P and less stable.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 82 Times in 60 Posts

I'm gonna have to agree with what Aim always says. It has everything to do with the plh not plastic type. I've had variations with each plastic and plh has been the biggest difference in my personal experience.

Examples: Two proton Volts, both green, both 170's. One is regular OS Volt flight, very flat with higher plh. The other has mild dome, lower plh and flew dead straight with little to no fade of the shelf. Same experience with Neutron. Plasma Volts have more dome and lower plh which lends to their straighter less stable flights.

Mids are another story. Still don't understand why a domey Vector is more stable than a flat one

Old 12-12-2017, 02:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 27 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc349 View Post
I'm gonna have to agree with what Aim always says. It has everything to do with the plh not plastic type. I've had variations with each plastic and plh has been the biggest difference in my personal experience.

Examples: Two proton Volts, both green, both 170's. One is regular OS Volt flight, very flat with higher plh. The other has mild dome, lower plh and flew dead straight with little to no fade of the shelf. Same experience with Neutron. Plasma Volts have more dome and lower plh which lends to their straighter less stable flights.

Mids are another story. Still don't understand why a domey Vector is more stable than a flat one
Different plastics cool different causing plh variations. So it does have plenty to do with different plastics.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 82 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandocommando9 View Post
Different plastics cool different causing plh variations. So it does have plenty to do with different plastics.
I'm not sure you read what I wrote but oh well.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:30 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
I think the point he’s making is that plh seems to be the most important thing. While it’s also true that different plastics can trend towards different PLH. I would agree with this, it’s what I’ve seen in the field.

The mold seems to be important here as well.
An FAF firebird is well known for being one of the most OS discs in existence, and more OS than domey FBs. Many discs seem to work this way.
While FDs with some dome seem to be more stable than the flat versions. This seems to be more unusual? But the mold is definitely a factor.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc349 View Post
I'm not sure you read what I wrote but oh well.
I read exactly what you wrote. You said it has everything to do with plh and nothing to do with plastic type. but the two go hand in hand more often than not.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I read exactly what you wrote. You said it has everything to do with plh and nothing to do with plastic type. but the two go hand in hand more often than not.
I think what he meant(and what I was also trying to say) is that both plastic types can have plh variance.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I think what he meant(and what I was also trying to say) is that both plastic types can have plh variance.
mvp is not consistent enough to have no plh variance in a plastic type? lol. But jokes aside, I would assume most people that know of plh understand that ALL plastic types will have plh variances.