Old 11-12-2019, 12:46 PM

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts
Default Ace Legitimacy

Couldn't find a thread pertaining to this exact subject, and I know what counts as a legit ace is not the most important topic of discussion, but I'm curious to see what others think:

I hit an ace this morning on a not super long hole, but one that was really fun because it was cold AF outside, the ground was covered in snow/ice, and it was just a neat winter wonderland setting. Specifically w/r/t ice cover, the hole's concrete teepad - it was absolutely a slip and fall risk, there was a kind of bare patch of semi-exposed ground directly to the left of the tee (roughly in line with the middle of the tee) where the slip risk was way lower, you could get even a semblance of ground grip, I teed off from there, took a one step shot, and fired off a forehand ace.

The line at the hole was EVER so slightly different starting off a couple of feet to the left - I absolutely think this is a legit ace to claim given that the actual tee was unsafe to shoot from (and I didn't pass the front of the tee line on the follow through), but am curious for others thoughts if altering the line at all constitutes levels of BS on par with stuff like cubby aces.

I know this isn't huge topic of discussion stuff, but I couldn't find any other threads when I searched, so please don't flame me for failing to look lol
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Kegelexercise; 11-12-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,730 Times in 753 Posts

If it is not a competitive event, you can count whatever you want as an ace.

The important takeaway is, never play off of non cleared tee pads. If you have no interest in clearing them, stay off of them. Walking on and playing off of them, compacts the snow to ice. It only take a few golfers to exponentially increase the effort required to eventually clear the pad. /end rant

Congrats on the ace!!

Old 11-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Par Member

Niced 191 Times in 69 Posts

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2019/...men/#rf1-16336
Old 11-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
The important takeaway is, never play off of non cleared tee pads. If you have no interest in clearing them, stay off of them. Walking on and playing off of them, compacts the snow to ice. It only take a few golfers to exponentially increase the effort required to eventually clear the pad. /end rant

Congrats on the ace!!
This is another reason I opted not to even touch this teepad with my feet - I've (stupidly and selfishly) done this in the past and paid the price by falling on my ass. Seeing a patch of kind of clear ground to the side of the tee, it wasn't even a second thought to tee off from there.

I only played 3 holes on this solo session (I had a few extra minutes to burn on the way to work), and the other two holes I played had big enough sections of teepad completely exposed where the snow and ice had melted away from sun exposure the previous day.

I agree 100% though - don't be like younger me and tee off from an uncleared teepad; I've been the one to shovel them off and it's a pain in the ASS to break up caked down ice from other golfers stomping the snow down.

Also, thank you for the congratulatory words!

Old 11-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
JMO, the TD in Sarah Hokom's case sucks if a provision wasn't able to be made for a clearly unsafe teepad like that.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 269 Times in 140 Posts

#prerube

Old 11-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Niced 21 Times in 9 Posts

I wouldn't sign if the person is just Ace shopping. We have an 85 foot open field hole here that people just throw their stack of putters at. That just counts as a nice shot.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 17
Niced 77 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
If it is not a competitive event, you can count whatever you want as an ace.
I second this. I would fully count this as an ace anywhere but competition. I wouldn't call it a 'cubby' or 'safari' ace.

Congrats!

Niced: (2)
Old 11-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Jim View Post
I wouldn't sign if the person is just Ace shopping. We have an 85 foot open field hole here that people just throw their stack of putters at. That just counts as a nice shot.
FWIW, I posted pics of the hole I am posting about in the DGCR Aces 2019 thread - it wasn't a monster hole by any means (190' and with a handful of trees to contend with), but it was significantly more difficult than a wide open 85 footer. Also was a first shot (TBH, I've never even hit a cubby ace in my life!)

Old 11-12-2019, 03:49 PM

Niced 21 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegelexercise View Post
FWIW, I posted pics of the hole I am posting about in the DGCR Aces 2019 thread - it wasn't a monster hole by any means (190' and with a handful of trees to contend with), but it was significantly more difficult than a wide open 85 footer. Also was a first shot (TBH, I've never even hit a cubby ace in my life!)
Start throwing all your shots two feet left of the teepad from now on.