Old 11-15-2019, 12:14 PM

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 58 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Wasn't he supposed to appear on that show where they ramble on about disc golf for almost...4...hours...at....a.....time?
Perhaps one of the producers was too busy chastising people online for having opinions that differ from their best interest, to secure Nikko as a guest.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDickHyzer View Post
Perhaps one of the producers was too busy chastising people online for having opinions that differ from their best interest, to secure Nikko as a guest.
Perhaps he agreed to be on the show the week prior and then something came up with his family and he said he was spending time with his grandparents. He did offer to do something Wednesday night, but Nikko doesn't quite understand how the live show/podcast works. Not a big deal, we had Kyle Klein on who just won $5K at the NextGen event..

There are some pros that are inherently unreliable for timing. We used to joke about that with Cale. But now it is really: GG & Conrad. They just always find themselves in the middle of no where with no signal during the season. Oh well.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 419 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac_21 View Post
Guess what, you guys are probably old and wont be able to play disc golf for very much longer, but you know who will? Kids on social media. They (Jomez and DD) are doing a great job, and have both been growing like crazy.

For context I'm almost 30, and I have a degree in Mass Media.
If you don't understand how marketing works post 1995 then just pipe down and let the rest of us enjoy a good thing.
Funny, I'm a decade older, have multiple marketing/communication degrees, and work in digital marketing. But, I still feel differently than you... In fact, I have fairly large issues with most of social media. Mainly that there isn't any true marketing strategy in it. Just record garbage, throw it online, watch the likes, and repeat.

Side Bar: Doesn't it bother you (just a little bit) that (almost) everyone with a Facebook account now considers themselves a marketer, a brand, an influencer, or a thought leader? "You're" not any of those, you're just a guy with an internet connection that copied the format...

Lastly, in terms of social media, I'd like someone to show a little creativity instead of posting the same meme for a week or the same old "what would you throw" post.

All that said, the old guys are the ones with the discretionary income that can buy discs, bags, carts, stickers, PPV, etc. So, while the young, tech-savvy may be the silent majority, we're the ones "voting with our dollars"

Old 11-15-2019, 04:03 PM

Niced 22 Times in 11 Posts

Boy if only us "younger folks" had money too we could really influence these brands to get online more often and... OOPS! Looks like they're catering to the younger people because they have money and engage in social media.

Since you have "multiple marketing degrees" I'm sure you understand how people talking (posting) about your brand is a big thing.

Like I said, just admit you hate DD and move on.
It's embarrassing to see someone squirm around and try to make some sort of philosophical point about how social media is somehow a bad thing for marketing because it's too simple, or some sort of repeating weekly post.

Maybe you're just too smart for the rest of us 'goldfish'.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 338 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
I have fairly large issues with most of social media. Mainly that there isn't any true marketing strategy in it. Just record garbage, throw it online, watch the likes, and repeat.
This is it. The algorithms and strategies used in modern media have little to nothing to do with quality of content, they simply act as a feedback loop to keep people watching and viewing ads. Certain companies are more willing to play that game and try to reap the benefits that name recognition will bring, but every dollar that is paid to boost a post or video is a dollar taken out of circulation inside of our DG community.

On the side - as a civil rights activist, DD's naming scheme makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
Side Bar: Doesn't it bother you (just a little bit) that (almost) everyone with a Facebook account now considers themselves a marketer, a brand, an influencer, or a thought leader? "You're" not any of those, you're just a guy with an internet connection that copied the format...
It really just sounds like you don't like the new media. That is fine, if you don't participate you will be left behind. We are moving so fast that people can't keep up. TikTok is the new hot jam, but it won't be for long. If they are lucky they get 3 years out of their platform before companies invade and make it uncool. Newpaper - Radio - Magazines - TV - Web Sites - Social Media, it is moving faster and faster.

But yes, people are influencers now and brands see that. ****, even dogs with instagram accounts are influencers. You may not like the fact that it no longer takes a team of people to create a marketing plan, and instead you can just go to one kid who has 20K followers and that gets you similar results as an entire television campaign.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 387 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
This is it. The algorithms and strategies used in modern media have little to nothing to do with quality of content, they simply act as a feedback loop to keep people watching and viewing ads. Certain companies are more willing to play that game and try to reap the benefits that name recognition will bring, but every dollar that is paid to boost a post or video is a dollar taken out of circulation inside of our DG community.

On the side - as a civil rights activist, DD's naming scheme makes me want to throw up in my mouth.
I throw DD discs — escape, warden, deputy, verdict, truth — and the naming scheme offends me. I hate it. I tell myself I should find replacements. Yet, I keep throwing them.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,737 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac_21 View Post
Guess what, you guys are probably old and wont be able to play disc golf for very much longer, but you know who will? Kids on social media. They (Jomez and DD) are doing a great job, and have both been growing like crazy.
Lol.....who is going to run tournaments, put in courses and maintain the ones in the ground now?
Old 11-15-2019, 05:48 PM

Niced 22 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Lol.....who is going to run tournaments, put in courses and maintain the ones in the ground now?
Yeah no one will ever step up and the sport will just die out. That's definitely what's going to happen. lol....

That's the best you got?

Old 11-15-2019, 06:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 115
Niced 203 Times in 105 Posts

You needn't be a contrarian ass. Folks are allowed to have differing opinions, and civilly disagree. The art of that seems to be lost these days.

Closed Thread