Old 12-15-2018, 07:15 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 82 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
btw, I've tried doing the search and haven't found the 30-seconds thread. I'll be happy to move my discussions over there.
Any help in providing that link is appreciated.
Here is one of the posts from that thread that inspired my interpretation of the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
I can see Dan's point for some approach shots, but on the tee I can't see more than 30 seconds. Sorry if the wind's blowing, we play in natural settings. But a blind approach shot from a berry bush? Yeah, let's get a look at the green to see if there's a safe place to land, figure out the route to that spot, some time to back into a berry bush, get a stance where you won't break your hand on a tree, that kind of thing. Generally, the other players on your card understand that you're not using the extra time frivolously, but actively trying to do your best and not get hurt. It's a judgment non-call.

That said, I'd like to leave it up to the group, and make sure any calls need another member of the group to second the call. Really haven't heard of many groups with more than one over-zealous rule freak.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 82 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
I NEVER SAID the wind itself would be the distraction I could call. I said something blowing across my line of sight, which, on a windy day, is true. It'll happen more often than every 30 seconds. So the "reset the clock" philosophy is dead in the water right there.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say, the player gets a full re-set and another full "30-consecutive-seconds" after a legitimate distraction in one breath, and then say, "but if the player calls said same distraction 3 or 4 straight times he's gaming the rules." It's one or the other. Either that distraction (leaves or paper or old picnic table cloth blowing across my line of sight -- or cars, etc.) is a legit distraction or it is not. And whatever you assert is the correct rule then must follow.

And btw, where is it written that the group decides what constitutes "the throwing area is free from distractions"? That sounds like a convenient way to contradict my assertion. Plus what if the group decides that the gusty wind blow a loft of 10-20 leaves at a time IS a distraction for player A on hole #1, then when I make the same call on hole #3 over and over again, they suddenly change to A Ray is gaming the rules so that's a violation. How in the world can that be legit?
Given there is not a spelled out definition, it is a group decision. Who else could make that decision?

I'm not saying that it's unreasonable because they do call the distraction 3 or 4 times. I'm saying it's unreasonable because there's a likelihood of it happening 3 or 4 times.

But yeah . . . if something is deemed a distraction by your group for one player, it's pretty tough to turn around and say it isn't for another.