Old 08-03-2009, 03:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 28
Niced 17 Times in 10 Posts
Default ...when pigs fly

So I bought a Pig this weekend and got to play a few rounds with it. I've heard this thing is overstable, but I honestly didn't think it could truly be overstable being a putter and all. Well, I was wrong, and I've never been more happy to be wrong. This is exactly what I needed to fill out my bag.

I've been using the Drone a lot and have come to love its extremely consistent overstable flight pattern. The Pig has the exact same flight characteristics as the Drone, except a bit shorter distance. It's perfect for shots that have to turn a bit sooner than the Drone and it's nice being able to really crank a putter and not worry about it turning over.

I haven't actually putt with it and not sure I ever will. It's a very situational disc, but when that situation arises, the Pig spreads its wings and dive-bombs around the corner. I only used it a few times this weekend, but every time it did exactly what it was supposed to and parked right under the basket on approaches (and even one tee shot) that would have been much more difficult with any other disc in my bag.

Any other Pig fans out there?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the Pig also, but I lost mine so I primarily use a Rhyno, which is very similar.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Does the Rhyno fade as hard as the Pig and can you throw it as hard without it turning over? I was just so surprised to see that type of fade out of a putter after I'd been using Aviars, Omega APs and Magnets.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

ill stic with my cro, roc, gator, and dart
Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
Does the Rhyno fade as hard as the Pig and can you throw it as hard without it turning over? I was just so surprised to see that type of fade out of a putter after I'd been using Aviars, Omega APs and Magnets.
They seem very similar in my book, it would be very tough to turn over the Rhyno. I mostly use my Rhyno for windy day approach shots so that I can elimate the chance of turning something over. And it's slow enough that it's tough to overshoot the basket by very much.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O View Post
They seem very similar in my book, it would be very tough to turn over the Rhyno. I mostly use my Rhyno for windy day approach shots so that I can elimate the chance of turning something over. And it's slow enough that it's tough to overshoot the basket by very much.
So I guess it doesn't go quite as far as a Pig then? I used the Pig to tee off on a 220' hole this last weekend that had a narrow fairway and a hard left about 150' down the fairway. I basically just cranked it hard and flat and it started its fade at the exact right time to stay in the fairway and land at the bottom of the pin. Can you do this kind of shot with a Rhyno? Also I wonder if Discraft has overstable putters that can compete with the Pig.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have both in pro plastic. I bought the pig to be what my rhyno used to be. I use my rhyno for anything around 200'. AND is my primary putter. I still cant get the distance out of the pig, but the fade is very dependable. Both great discs IMO
Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmmmm is it anything like the discraft zone?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
So I guess it doesn't go quite as far as a Pig then? I used the Pig to tee off on a 220' hole this last weekend that had a narrow fairway and a hard left about 150' down the fairway. I basically just cranked it hard and flat and it started its fade at the exact right time to stay in the fairway and land at the bottom of the pin. Can you do this kind of shot with a Rhyno? Also I wonder if Discraft has overstable putters that can compete with the Pig.
They're very close, but the Pig is probably a little faster. To put a number on it, the Rhyno probably starts fading 10-20 feet before the Pig if thrown the same way. I use my Rhyno for shots like you mentioned, like one I have to throw about 125-140 out over a pond, but then it fades back between the trees right when I need it to.

The closest Discraft putter would probably be the Zone, which I haven't tried much.

I did try the Ringer and it's pretty nice also. Not quite as stable as the Pig or Rhyno, but way more stable than most putters.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 105
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Pig is great and I have a couple, but I personally like Discraft's ESP Zone better.
I'm more of an Innova guy but the Zone is a disc that I can't do without.