Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What does "modified after production" include?
It DOES NOT include artificially seasoning a disc. 29 72.50%
It DOES include artificially seasoning a disc. 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2018, 07:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 108 Times in 79 Posts
Default What does "modified after production" include?

"B. A disc which has been modified after production [my emphasis] such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded, or painted with a material of detectable thickness, are illegal. Adding a device to make a disc easier to find (for example, a light, ribbon, or chalk dust) is allowed only when night or snow play has been announced by the Director."

While I know this has been talked about in the past, I'm bored and would like to see how people would vote between the two interpretations. With that in mind:

1. Does "modified after production" include artificially seasoning a disc?

OR

2. Does "modified after production" only include changes in a disc such as drilling holes, adding weight, removing a bead, etc., that are contrary to the original/intended design and subsequent approval of the disc?

I think the rule applies to the second interpretation due to the rest of context. What say you all?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2018, 07:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts

If going by the exact letter "artificially seasoning" a disc is more than "wear from usage during play or moderate sanding to remove molding imperfections or scrapes" because the wear didn't come from play.

In the real world, I want you to point out which disc I slammed into a tree and skidded across gravel on purpose and which disc I use to play a wooded course with rocky terrain for a while.

Long story short "artificially seasoning" a disc is illegal but almost unenforceable.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 193
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 574 Times in 273 Posts

One of my favorite old-timey stories (from Jay Dub) is that when the Innova Phenix was the hot new disc (circa 1988) the pros would get new ones and smash them into the ground a bunch of times before playing a round with them.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 108 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtho View Post
If going by the exact letter "artificially seasoning" a disc is more than "wear from usage during play or moderate sanding to remove molding imperfections or scrapes" because the wear didn't come from play.

In the real world, I want you to point out which disc I slammed into a tree and skidded across gravel on purpose and which disc I use to play a wooded course with rocky terrain for a while.

Long story short "artificially seasoning" a disc is illegal but almost unenforceable.
I disagree because an artificially seasoned disc is one that would normally be seasoned through normal play, not a post-production modification like adding paint to disc to make it heavier. The only difference is that the "seasoning" is done intentionally with quicker results.

Whatever normal objects that people experience on a course that seasons their disc are acceptable objects to use to artificially season a disc. So, trees, concrete (walls, pavement,etc), rocks, etc. can be used to artificially season a disc.

Also, in regards to the rest of the context of the rule, the rule sounds like it is referring post-production modifications and not seasoning, whether artificial or not.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 30
Niced 262 Times in 137 Posts

Crap! I’m in trouble! Rogue footage of me artificially seasoning a disc has surfaced!

Old 06-30-2018, 09:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,646 Times in 2,444 Posts

"Mr. TD I wasn't artificially seasoning that disc, I was practicing my parking lot skip approach for 888 at Winthrop..."

Niced: (1)
Old 07-01-2018, 01:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

I'm not ashamed to say I voted thay it does include artificially seasoning. Because to a tee, the rules seem to indicate that it would. That being said. I use a stack of practice molds for field work in mybyard I have a 300' lane with trees on the sides and a "wall o' trees" at the end so I love using this lane to practice because ot helps season my discs is this artificial seasoning? I don't agree with the way I voted BTW.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:03 AM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,690 Posts

Paul McBeth once had an ITB video where he said a disc (don't remember which mold) had been new but flew into the parking lot while he was practicing for a tournament "and now it's an understable disc, so thank you parking lot". So you're practicing with a disc and it just happens to hit the brick wall of the school building behind which you're throwing. That's not "modifying", that's bad aim.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 42.8
Niced 90 Times in 29 Posts

What about bending the disc to break it in.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 150 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hansen View Post
What about bending the disc to break it in.
IMO that boat sailed numerous years ago when the Aerobic Epic was 'grandfathered' in. Since it is a specific 'technique' encouraged by the company to "tune" their discs by doing so, 'bending' of discs can legally be done.