Old 07-05-2018, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,697 Times in 1,588 Posts

Also, I am usually playing courses with creeks or ponds, and I'll sometimes dip my hat in the water, and put it back on. This helps, too.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2018, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,697 Times in 1,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Never tried this. Seems like it would be so, so hot.
I don't know if a soaking wet shirt is too much hotter. It's unpleasant, but I find the dri-fit even more unpleasant. (Personal choice, which as prior posts indicate, varies a lot from person to person).

When the humidity isn't quite so bad, and particular when there's a breeze, I prefer the dri-fit.

I wear lots of both.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 216
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 354 Times in 184 Posts

There are so many different types of dri-fit material out there. Lots of the cheap stuff does feel very synthetic and gets even worse after you sweat some. I have been more careful about which blend of dri-fit material I buy. There are some blends that feel like very soft cotton but perform much better. I wish the material label gave more information, because there is at least one biking shirt I have that is absolutely perfect as far as moisture wicking and softness goes. Would love to find more shirts like it that aren't specific to biking.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,682 Times in 1,281 Posts

On summer road trips, the trick is to plan things so that you're playing during the cooler parts of the day, and driving during the hottest parts of the day.

I try to spend the night close to a course or two I plan to hit early in the day. I can usually get a couple of rounds in by 12-1PM or so. Spend the hottest part of the day (2PM - 6PM) driving to the next course. That still gives me about 3 hrs for a round, after temps have come down a bit. Then drive a few more hrs to the next destination after dark.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-05-2018, 01:02 PM

Courses Played: 13
Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts

First off, I hate the heat and humidity. It just sucks the life out of you!

As for the cotton and dri-fit debate, Im dri-fit all the way. It seems to breathe well enough for me and even when its soaked it doesnt have that awful heavy feeling a cotton tee does. I always just drink a ton of water and take some extra breaks.

I could go on and on but I think I agree with just about everything Inverted said above. I sweat (and hydrate) constantly during the summer so I always have extra towels with me. If the weather is brutal I have no shame calling it a day after 9 holes.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 48
Niced 879 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
There are so many different types of dri-fit material out there. Lots of the cheap stuff does feel very synthetic and gets even worse after you sweat some. I have been more careful about which blend of dri-fit material I buy. There are some blends that feel like very soft cotton but perform much better. I wish the material label gave more information, because there is at least one biking shirt I have that is absolutely perfect as far as moisture wicking and softness goes. Would love to find more shirts like it that aren't specific to biking.
This is true even within the same brand. I have several UA shirts that are the same model, but were all made in different countries. One of them is far superior to the rest.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:41 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 291 Times in 178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golf Chuck View Post
Here in Phoenix, Arizona during the summer months, we just hydrate and play quickly. I've played in 117 degrees before. Today is supposed to be a high of 114 and a LOW of 93. It is very dry, but it is scorching hot. But playing in this heat is doable if you are smart and can finish your round in a reasonable amount of time. But the best part of living here is that we can play year round disc golf even if it's hot for six months of the year. We say that there are two types of weather in Phoenix...hot and very hot.
Well, this and glow. Lots of glow rounds in the summer.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:43 PM

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 156
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
Yeah. The ones I have don't breathe quite as well as I'd hoped, but I still use them occasionally. I like the option to cover up from the sun since I hate sunblock.
That is what I wear on a regular basis, especially since I have been under the knife for skin cancer. I have noticed though that the 100% polyester ones are cooler than the 100% nylon ones! One problem that I have with the high humidity is that the long sleeves become "clingy" and makes for a tough throwing motion since they are wet and stuck to my arms. I try to roll up the sleeves but they don't want to stay very well. Trying a new short-sleeve version for that one reason alone. I think it will work!
Old 07-05-2018, 07:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,261 Times in 551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Also, I am usually playing courses with creeks or ponds, and I'll sometimes dip my hat in the water, and put it back on. This helps, too.
This helps immensely.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 321
Niced 451 Times in 199 Posts

I played one doubles tournament round yesterday, went through two dri-fit shirts, drank 5 quarts of fluids, wrung the sweat out of my shorts constantly, used towels and a rosin bag, and fought off the heat rash for the past 24 hours. Tag teamed with a buddy, who played the second round (it was a fundraiser & we cleared that with the TD beforehand). He had to take off dg today. At least we won our division.
Bottom line: for me, dri-fit or cotton doesn't matter. They both load up with my sweat, cling to me, weigh a ton & result in a rash if I continue to wear them wet. Grrrrr!