Old 10-21-2018, 08:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,667 Times in 2,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNichols View Post
I kinda want to see the photo that was taken of Nate's lie, now. Think refelection would be a good thing for future problems that may occur.
if there would have been a line on the inside edge of the ties, then it would have clearly been OB. The problem is, if the tie had been there, it would have hit it and stayed inbounds. My question is, was the tie there for previous rounds? If so, were the players told it was removed? I don't think you would be able to see that from the tee. He may have tried a different shot in that case.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Smelling the Shame

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 53
Niced 83 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
if there would have been a line on the inside edge of the ties, then it would have clearly been OB. The problem is, if the tie had been there, it would have hit it and stayed inbounds. My question is, was the tie there for previous rounds? If so, were the players told it was removed? I don't think you would be able to see that from the tee. He may have tried a different shot in that case.
More than certain I heard Terry, or Dixon, say that it was confirmed that the ties were removed my groundskeepers to mow that green, which I would think, meant it was the same for both Final cards that played today. No way to be certain, though. I don't think there is anyway the players could have seen the Missing tie(s) from the tee box, from what I saw.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 38.7
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 183 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
We recently had a discussion about this on a local FB page. I thought the line was IB also but it isn't.

806.02 Out-of-Bounds
Last updated: Saturday, March 3, 2018 - 09:43

An out-of-bounds (OB) area is an area designated by the Director from which a disc may not be played, and within which a stance may not be taken. The out-of-bounds line is part of the out-of-bounds area. Any area of the course that is not out-of-bounds is in-bounds.
Perhaps my confusion is thinking of either the inside or outside of the tie forming the line (such as the width of a string/rope) but if the tie itself formed a 12 " wide line then he was definitively OB. without clarification i guess it was bound to become an issue at some point.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 119 Times in 49 Posts

Where the line should be is irrelevant, the missing log, that would have been there in practice and prior rounds is the issue. He would have likely hit it and stayed on. That's the part I'd be pissed about. There was no line drawn as the log was meant to me there.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:13 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 290 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate22 View Post
Where the line should be is irrelevant, the missing log, that would have been there in practice and prior rounds is the issue. He would have likely hit it and stayed on. That's the part I'd be pissed about. There was no line drawn as the log was meant to me there.
Someone on r/discgolf had screen shots showing it also wasn't there in previous rounds.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2018, 10:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 45
Niced 632 Times in 313 Posts

Benefit of the doubt should have gone to the player. Nate got screwed.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 168
Niced 232 Times in 110 Posts

The only good thing I took from the whole ordeal was how Nate handled the situation... he is a credit too the game and a real Professional.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 150
Niced 403 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Benefit of the doubt should have gone to the player. Nate got screwed.
That's not how benefit of the doubt works.

801.03.A: When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the ruling is based on the interpretation that is most beneficial to the thrower.

If the disc was so close to an OB line that 2 players think it's in and 2 players think it's out, then the benefit goes to the thrower.
If the 2 meter rule is in play and a disc is in a tree and 2 players think it's 2.01 meters off the ground and 2 players think it's 1.99 meters, then the benefit goes to the thrower.
But if the players are just uncertain about which line to use as the OB line, then they should take a provisional and consult the TD. "I'm not sure if the OB line is the edge of the asphalt road or the edge of the concrete curb." "I'm not sure if the OB line is this yellow painted line or this other line nearby." "I'm not sure if the painted line is the OB line or if it's a straight line between these two flags." All of those are just questions that need to be clarified, not a group judgment call.

All the players were in agreement about the location of the disc - there was a clear majority, so there was no need to invoke benefit of the doubt. They all agreed that if it's the outside of the wood it's clearly IB, and if it's the inside of the wood it's clearly OB. The only question was just a simple clarification from the TD.

Last edited by ToddL; 10-21-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 45
Niced 632 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
That's not how benefit of the doubt works.

801.03.A: When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the ruling is based on the interpretation that is most beneficial to the thrower.

If the disc was so close to an OB line that 2 players think it's in and 2 players think it's out, then the benefit goes to the thrower.
If the 2 meter rule is in play and a disc is in a tree and 2 players think it's 2.01 meters off the ground and 2 players think it's 1.99 meters, then the benefit goes to the thrower.
But if the players are just uncertain about which line to use as the OB line, then they should take a provisional and consult the TD. "I'm not sure if the OB line is the edge of the asphalt road or the edge of the concrete curb." "I'm not sure if the OB line is this yellow painted line or this other line nearby." "I'm not sure if the painted line is the OB line or if it's a straight line between these two flags." All of those are just questions that need to be clarified, not a group judgment call.

All the players were in agreement about the location of the disc - there was a clear majority, so there was no need to invoke benefit of the doubt. They all agreed that if it's the outside of the wood it's clearly IB, and if it's the inside of the wood it's clearly OB. The only question was just a simple clarification from the TD.
Was it a simple clarification? There was no rule in place for this situation. The TD should have given the benefit of the doubt to the player in my opinion.

Niced: (2)

Old 10-21-2018, 10:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,111 Times in 646 Posts

When there is 100% no clear declaration of an area that is out of bounds, the disc should be frickin in bounds imop. ANY time you leave it "up to interpretation" it's just "ridiculous"..like Nate said. The one player (Kevin??) said something like. "if the railroad tie was there, it would be ob.." no..his disc would have rolled and hit it and stayed in bounds. smh..

Niced: (2)