Old 09-30-2019, 12:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 48.1
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 384 Times in 211 Posts

About four years of regular play to get to ‘easy smooth and able to play low risk, but pleasant ‘cart golf’ on tough and challenging courses consistently when I desire. Related to dissing down, better focused field work and mold minimalising.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2019, 01:04 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,294 Times in 1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfen70 View Post
I want people to share their 1st year stories so I can have an idea where I stand.
When I started playing, I watched a lot of videos and played a good bit, so I got the basics (the RHBH throw, the X-step, etc.) down within three months. Putting took longer, partially because I changed my putting stroke and the putters I throw before settling on the Marshal.

Now I'm getting older and not getting the distance I had when I first started, so I've probably peaked. So now I'm learning how to play smarter, and I'm still doing fairly well (I had ten straight pars last Friday, which was good for me). Over time, age will catch up, but as long as I'm having fun I'll still be out there hucking discs and rattlin' chains.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 539 Times in 204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
I am at a point where noobies look at me and go "wow he's so good" and pros look at me and go "......"
This is me. Story time:

Went out with one of the old squad (who hasn’t played much lately), and a few others who were a mix of rank noobs and fairly infrequent players. It was my 64th round of the summer. I finished middle of the pack and above par on a course I know like the back of my hand. Next day same course, same conditions, -5 at one point and still finish tied with my two games a month buddy at -2. So it goes I guess.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 148
Niced 291 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'm aging and in competition with my former self. And getting whipped on a regular basis.

No, seriously, much like Marmoset, when I ascending my progress was a series of plateaus---or, as I often described it, ratchet. Sudden jump to the next level, stuck there for a while, another sudden jump, level for a while....

With each, better than I had been, better than some people I played with, never as good as some others. Tournament divisions and ratings gave some thresholds to measure. Never reached a point to say "I'm good"; it's all relative.
Thats exactly how I felt. I'd plateau, and then at each plateau I'd occasionally have a "great" round where I could point to it and say: "That's my new target plateau." And then I'd attack getting there consistently. My last plateau was around the mid-980s (I got to 997 on a small sample size of rounds). I got there - back when I was 25 - after about 4-5 years of disc golf, hung out there even with less practice for a few years, then got to where a little bit of practice would get me to it pretty easily. Was away from it long enough the last time that it was really hard and I feel like I'm just getting back to it again. That is kinda my measure for "good" - because if you're in the 980s you're pretty much cashing all the time in C Tiers. Not quite great, but "good."

I've still got hopes that I can ascend a few more plateaus and get to one around the 1010-1020 range in my early 40s before that finish line starts really pulling away from me.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 49 Times in 31 Posts

I think I was at my best at about 3 years. Then I started buying and changing discs, throwing different lines, using mids, fairways, drivers in places I might not have used them before. And now after 7 years I seem to have gotten worse! I still have most of my old discs that I started with but It doesn't seem to help me much. It also might be because I am aging, I'm 57. Maybe going down hill in my 50,s. Crap.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by storyboy; 09-30-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 775 Times in 419 Posts

I would say 900 rated is about where I would call players good. 900 average players still have their flaws obviously, but usually have a pretty well rounded game.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-30-2019, 03:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,247 Times in 584 Posts

I used to be worried about "being good".

Couple years ago I was playing pretty well and won a few tournaments.

Now I don't play as much and don't really care about being good.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 3
Niced 173 Times in 87 Posts

I started playing at age 68. I'm never going to be "good". But I don't care. I now understand the game and my course well enough to know what shot I should be taking. I love the game and will continue to play as long as my body will allow me. I am fortunate that I have a few friends who will play with me at my level of play. Life is good!

Old 10-01-2019, 03:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 775 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I used to be worried about "being good".

Couple years ago I was playing pretty well and won a few tournaments.

Now I don't play as much and don't really care about being good.
Who has the most fun wins

Niced: (3)

Old 10-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 145
Niced 329 Times in 142 Posts

I'd say 2-3 years for me, if "good" means placing somewhere in the middle of Am-1.

It's different during the era of my heyday, though, if you didn't live near the good clubs. A course went in the ground in my hometown in 1989 when I was in high school and that's where basket play began for me (although I had played plenty of object golf with Frisbees before this). No internet, let alone YouTube. You're completely dependent on someone else being present who knew what they were doing and I never once saw somebody in my rural area who did. The designer of that course was PDGA #315 who was retirement age back then and could only throw what he called a "chicken wing," which was a RHBH pulling his ancient artifact Discs behind his back and releasing near his hip for maybe 150' at best.

Many of us had to essentially invent our own form. I, for the life of me, couldn't figure out much more than a 150-200' RHFH flick shot with a Stingray. I even still carried a Wham-O 150 in my golf bag (which was a small duffel bag) if I had to throw a backhand. The course was a crazy thorn-filled wooded one with multiple jagged doglegs per hole, many of which mimicked the designer's bizarre throwing style so I didn't know any better. They'd make that course (Oxbow Park, Goshen, IN) much easier when worlds came, and the emerald ash borer made it even easier in more recent times.

Once I moved away in 1996 to an area with a good club (Lansing, MI), that changed everything. And it was from that point, after witnessing with my jaw on the ground a local pro pinning a 400' wooded tunnel hole with a black Cyclone, that I started playing better. J-Bird taught me how to throw a backhand and Mark Ellis taught me how to throw a forehand. I'd be occasionally "cashing" in Am-1 by the end of the decade, but I never did get past Am-1 mediocrity.

Niced: (1)