Old 10-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 201 Times in 46 Posts

So here's what we have so far to consider for 2020:

1) Consider Relief area rule instead of throw-and-distance from drop zones on 9, 12, 17.

2) Consider how others might view or use targets on golf greens and parking lot islands.

3) Make OB easier to see for spectators, players and on-line audience. May be rope, thick painted line

4) Anything else?

Here are three areas that I would like feedback:

1) What are examples of good material to show on the live broadcast when there is a break in the action or just to add variety to the action?

2) What is a reasonable price for pay-per-view?

2A) Does a commercial free presentation change the reasonable price for pay=per-view?

2C) Are there any examples of disc golf commercials that have engaged you in a positive way or at least have not irritated you?

3) How would watching in person or on-line change if the final day moved from Saturday to Sunday.

4) Is it unreasonable to prohibit some or all cell-phone use if the local cell tower(s) continue to be a technical bottle neck for high-quality filming to the live audience on-line?

Thanks,

Harold
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-17-2019, 06:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,361 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Duvall View Post

1) What are examples of good material to show on the live broadcast when there is a break in the action or just to add variety to the action?
Easy answer is more action. Also footage of past events.

Quote:
I thought this year was reasonable.

Quote:
2A) Does a commercial free presentation change the reasonable price for pay=per-view?
philosophically yes but practically no unless the volume of commercials is huge.

Quote:
2C) Are there any examples of disc golf commercials that have engaged you in a positive way or at least have not irritated you?
No to the first half of this but I also don't find any of them very annoying until they become overly repetitive.

Quote:
3) How would watching in person or on-line change if the final day moved from Saturday to Sunday.
It would not for me.

Quote:
4) Is it unreasonable to prohibit some or all cell-phone use if the local cell tower(s) continue to be a technical bottle neck for high-quality filming to the live audience on-line?
Yes in my opinion. At that point you would be differentiating between a disc golf fan using a cell phone and a passerby doing the same thing.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-17-2019, 09:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,970 Times in 789 Posts

Welp...you asked

Quote:

Stories on the players themselves. What its like to be on tour. Most of us have no idea.

Quote:
$0. Live has no value to me. I have no time for that.

Quote:
See answer #2.

Quote:
Not one commercial has ever irritated me with the exception of maybe that nonsense Discraft had of Nate Doss and Valerie Jenkins were throwing inside of some athletic complex. And even that wasn't really that bad. OTOH not one has ever engaged me in any way. I see so many ads elsewhere I've learned to tune them out.

Quote:
Not one bit. See answer #2.

Quote:
Yep. I think that's a terrible idea especially if an emergency occurs. Now if you want ask people to limit cell phone use thats one thing but to prohibit it altogether is just asking for trouble.

I've asked this before and haven't got an answer - or maybe I missed it...What is exactly is meant by "proceeds" in the claim that the proceeds from the $10 is going to EDGE? This was the carrot used by some to say, "Hey you should buy this cause it benefits EDGE." Maybe its just me but when I run a fundraiser (like I did this past weekend) I clearly state what percentage is going where.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 290 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:

Limited commercials are fine. Stories from USDGC's past, player stories, have a camera that roams the course earlier in the day recording some nice shots or maybe even able to catch someone having a hot round/run of holes.

Also, I liked the idea of 2018's live show. I'd love to see it combined with the 2019 ppv. Maybe an hour-90 min pre-round show with hosts that aren't doing the commentary for the play.

I paid the full $10 despite being a PDGA member. I agree with Dave that I wish I knew how much was going toward EDGE. Also, maybe add an option when signing up for the ppv to be able to donate additional money to EDGE? If the option was right there when already buying the ppv, I likely would have added on an additional $5 where that entire $5 went to EDGE.

Not really unless you were to go overboard on the commercials (think SpinTV a few years ago when they had a brief commercial after every single hole). Maybe after holes 4, 9, and 14?

The two Discmania commercials where Simon and Eagle talk about their biggest shots are two of the best commercials I've seen in disc golf. Innova, with their deep line up, could have a ton of commercials of that type. Nate or Conrad talking about USDGC, Climo and Barry talking about any of their success (including their epic USDGC playoff).

I purchased it this year, but I hesitated because I could only guarantee that I would be able to watch the final round live as I was at work for rounds 2 and 3.

I think it is unreasonable, yes.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 795 Times in 430 Posts

This years price was ok, though 4 rounds please. No commercials is good, but if there is no good filler (i.e. more action, whether from other cards, other days, other years), then a couple of high end commercials are just fine.

Re: cell phones, do what you gotta do. This year it seemed to clear up considerably when an announcement was made that FB live is killing official live.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 72
Niced 295 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
Consider the following encouraged uses during the event
Players/caddies uploading scores/stats to UDisc
Spectators following multiple cards on UDisc

Spectators streaming the live coverage at the course would probably be the biggest drain.
Does Winthrop have a Wifi network that covers that part of campus that you could tap into (either for pushing up the stream or to have spectators connect to rather than cell service?)
Old 10-18-2019, 11:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 139
Niced 276 Times in 122 Posts

1) Consider Relief area rule instead of throw-and-distance from drop zones on 9, 12, 17.
- the big scores are kind of cringe-inducing but they certainly keep you watching. I was yelling at JohnE to lay up like it was a Cowboys game
- either way, make it CLEAR. Way too much caddy book consulting

2) Consider how others might view or use targets on golf greens and parking lot islands.
- 888 is likely the most famous hole in disc golf. Courses will still be poorly designed and unsafe no matter what you do about parking lots/etc. Changing those holes might change one park dept's design a year, if that. The much bigger concern I see is baskets near playgrounds, not parking lots.
- golf greens are fine, bolfers will be OK

3) Make OB easier to see for spectators, players and on-line audience. May be rope, thick painted line
- this was really difficult to watch, especially since Jamie was often unsure too. The rope was easier to see but I'm sure it's a huge hassle.

4) Anything else?
- I liked the new wooded hole, very similar to that one along the OB sidewalk at Ledgestone. Might be better with just a single Mando a little farther down the fairway.

- Show a previous year's shots on the same hole you are about to broadcast as a preview, maybe with some audio pre-taped discussing the traditional or unconventional lines to play. The fly overs are fine but don't really give you a sense of how it's played. "Player Y played rough to rough here in 20xx but saved a birdie with a outside circle 2 putt off a tree. The traditional play is like player Z here in 20xx"

- pricing was just fine

- nope, I'd rather have the commercials and save a few bucks, but I also grew up watching only 3 channels on a Magnavox.

- the Black Ink discs one with Conrad, Simon and Catrina. Maybe ask Tyler Brickley for ideas or to film some on his own.

- it would likely decrease viewers due to the NFL games, I know I'd likely miss it. Also, when I lived in SC we'd have a carload or two of guys come play on Sunday. It was something we looked forward to for months in advance and gave us smack-talk material for a whole year.
- would also likely cut down on the festivities afterward as players would need to get on the road sooner.

- maybe ask nicely and put a few signs around the course instead of 'prohibiting'. Disc golfers are normally considerate people. They are there supporting the tour and the players, and would likely see the logic/benefit of helping support it online as well.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 27
Niced 543 Times in 223 Posts

I'd love to see a feed from another hole - eg checking in on players and scoring coming through 18.

Great shots from previous years. Interviews of the old winners etc.

This year seemed in the ballpark

depends how heavily the adverts are played, if it's every hole yes, if there are some good high quality ones in amongst the other material you are looking to add it would be fine, nothing wrong with an advert in the downtime.

Yes. Struggling to think of them off the top of my head but I've definitely enjoyed some, they tend to have good production quality, feel professional and not be the sort of cheesy things you get on late night cable channels.

I'm hours ahead so live is good for me already timewise I'm probably preferable on a saturday to have a late night and a lie in Sunday.

I would have thought so. Asking would go down well, telling not so much. How could you even enforce that without a lot of disruption on the edges of the green/fairway?

Thanks,

Harold[/QUOTE]
Old 10-18-2019, 03:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 795 Times in 430 Posts

The one where dude griplocks it way right off a hill and it explodes.... K-ringe!!

Funny for maybe 0,5 time.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 201 Times in 46 Posts

Here is a recap article that includes the charitable contribution information from the live broadcast:

https://usdgc.com/posts/usdgc-viewer...nations-recap/