#321  
Old 10-20-2019, 01:28 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,821
Niced 1,322 Times in 763 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Lol....sure is a thing. Much larger than disc golf, better sponsored, more well known and regularly on TV.
I live about a mile away from the lake. I can see the edge of the boat dock from my kitchen window( I live at a top of a hill). I know that one of the fishing TV shows has a tournament every year and wakes me at about 4:30 in the morning with about 100 speedboats racing away at once.... I have no idea if this is part of a major league or not.

The part about napping on the shore was just snark, but I did not realize that there is a major league of fishing... I don't even own a T.V.; after sitting in front of a screen programming 8+ hours a day, I have little interest in any thing beyond dg post production tournaments and stranger things
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 10-20-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 10-20-2019, 02:21 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,329
Niced 4,577 Times in 2,409 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
I live about a mile away from the lake. I can see the edge of the boat dock from my kitchen window( I live at a top of a hill). I know that one of the fishing TV shows has a tournament every year and wakes me at about 4:30 in the morning with about 100 speedboats racing away at once.... I have no idea if this is part of a major league or not.

The part about napping on the shore was just snark, but I did not realize that there is a major league of fishing... I don't even own a T.V.; after sitting in front of a screen programming 8+ hours a day, I have little interest in any thing beyond dg post production tournaments and stranger things
That could be just a regular tourney. There are regional events all throughout the spring and summer all over the country. But there are 3 different "pro tours" at the moment(MLF, FLW and BASS). MLF is different, they don't use the 5 biggest fish system like FLW and BASS. In MLF, every fish over 1lb counts towards a cumulative total weight and its also broken down into different rounds.

The sudden death rounds can be quite entertaining.
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:41 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,821
Niced 1,322 Times in 763 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
That could be just a regular tourney. There are regional events all throughout the spring and summer all over the country. But there are 3 different "pro tours" at the moment(MLF, FLW and BASS). MLF is different, they don't use the 5 biggest fish system like FLW and BASS. In MLF, every fish over 1lb counts towards a cumulative total weight and its also broken down into different rounds.

The sudden death rounds can be quite entertaining.
I looked it up, it's FLW. 1 mile from my house... sound carries well when the air is dense. Yes, there are several local tournament per year... but not like this

https://www.flwfishing.com/tournamen...-cherokee-lake


Now if we can find a way to incorporate skeet shooting and disc golf, we might have a winner. Cherokee park has a skeet range next to it. That might make good T.V.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 10-20-2019, 09:24 PM
F.Luke F.Luke is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: the left hand world
Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 65
Posts: 920
Niced 674 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Was just watching the latest Major League Fishing episode I DVR'd this morning, when what do I see... Hole 9's basket, lol. A Discatcher just sitting right there on the bank. Took me a few minutes to figure out what course it is but it appears to be BuckHorn in Raleigh, NC.

This is one of those times I wish I had a smartphone...
I caught a few nice bass on flies in the cove at Harris Lake where Buckhorn’s holes 9, 10 and 11 play around back when I lived in Raleigh.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 10-20-2019, 11:59 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,329
Niced 4,577 Times in 2,409 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
I caught a few nice bass on flies in the cove at Harris Lake where Buckhorn’s holes 9, 10 and 11 play around back when I lived in Raleigh.
Nice. I caught glimpses of another basket afterwards and also no9 again once. He was just going around in circles in that cove with a chatterbait along that long grass on the banks.

That place is loaded with big bass. One guy caught an 8 pounder and there were several 5+ caught. Winner had 63lb iirc and they only fished for 7hrs with no practice. Cant imagine the fish they could have caught if they had a chance to breakdown that lake beforehand.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 10-21-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 10-21-2019, 01:25 PM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Raleigh NC
Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 947
Niced 462 Times in 200 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=F.Luke;3509921]I caught a few nice bass on flies in the cove at Harris Lake where Buckhorn’s holes 9, 10 and 11 play around back when I lived in Raleigh.[/QUOTE

If you drag the bottom of that cove, you would likely find hundreds of discs. I have certainly left a few in there over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 10-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Raleigh NC
Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 947
Niced 462 Times in 200 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Nice. I caught glimpses of another basket afterwards and also no9 again once. He was just going around in circles in that cove with a chatterbait along that long grass on the banks.

That place is loaded with big bass. One guy caught an 8 pounder and there were several 5+ caught. Winner had 63lb iirc and they only fished for 7hrs with no practice. Cant imagine the fish they could have caught if they had a chance to breakdown that lake beforehand.
Baskets 8,9 & 10 are all on the edge of the lake.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 10-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Riverdog Riverdog is online now
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 80
Niced 120 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Baskets 8,9 & 10 are all on the edge of the lake.


A few years ago when I bent over to mark my up shot on #10 I a noticed a slightly too "deliberate" an edge on a rock partially sticking out of the ground. Hmmmmmm. I picked up a stick and dug out a very nice arrowhead. If you know the course you know that from that side of the basket when you look toward the basket you are looking straight at the nuclear cooling towers. Wonder what the native who lost that point would have made of that view.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 10-21-2019, 03:08 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,821
Niced 1,322 Times in 763 Posts
Default

Nuclear energy is the cleanest source of energy there is. Considering the struggle to survive in the time period that flint heads were being used, said hunter would have probably like to have had the luxury of nuclear powered electricity.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
 

  #330  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:15 AM
rhatton1's Avatar
rhatton1 rhatton1 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 27
Posts: 907
Niced 543 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Nuclear energy is the cleanest source of energy there is.
Hmm.

It doesn't generate carbon dioxide or other greenhouse gases so certainly cleaner than oil/coal or gas emissions wise.

There are however around 30k tons of spent fuel rods currently in the world from Nuclear energy facilities, this amount is growing annually. Most US based rods are "temporarily" housed in pools by the reactors until a permanent location can be found or it can be recycled for further use ( which is not currently done in the US despite being a better option for nuclear waste as it makes the final product safer a helluva lot quicker than not - hundreds vs millions of years) .

The US doesn't recycle Nuclear yet and it's really really hard to find a permanent location to store it. I don't believe there is one in the US currently, I'm not sure there is one in the world yet, as such the pool housings at facilities are getting larger and almost certainly now holding more than they were originally designed to hold (all good until the first disaster occurs and the press scream "how was this allowed to happen!!!?") . All a permanent location will do is house it, it doesn't make it safe, maybe that technology is coming (IFR etc.) but for the moment it's not there.

The high level waste that is a run off from final cleaning of the fuel rods has the same issue, it can be housed but not made safe.

Recycling the original waste certainly cleans the energy up more but explain to me how it is cleaner energy than renewables?

Of course you have to take the whole life cycle into account to compare the carbon footprint but ongoing Uranium ore mining and the process of building the reactors are worse than mining the materials and building and repairing wind turbines. Uranium ore is also a finite resource. Wind/tide/solar isn't. https://theecologist.org/2015/feb/05...not-low-carbon why back something that will be used up? Let's back the long term winner and invest in making it more efficient.

There are a lot of nuclear shills out there. There is a lot of money to be made in nuclear or any fossil fuel burning energy source as someone has to supply the fuel. You don't with renewables, there are less ways to make money out of them. There's a reason one lobby is better funded than the other. It's a cynical world out there.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hybrid Disc Golf/Ball Golf Course in the News Marv Vega General Disc Golf Chat 40 06-30-2018 10:25 PM
Disc Golf in the news Khao Pra General Disc Golf Chat 0 07-16-2014 01:05 AM
Disc golf in the news rshrevo General Disc Golf Chat 26 10-25-2013 09:16 PM
Interesting News video Ball golf vs Disc golf Bamm General Disc Golf Chat 26 08-03-2013 02:15 PM
I was on the news plugging disc golf! great white buffalo General Disc Golf Chat 14 02-01-2012 07:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.