Old 10-23-2019, 06:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,097 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
But requiring players to land behind their lie after releasing before moving forward past it isn't a bad idea. But then, you have to also decide whether they need to maintain balance and make a judgment about that whereas allowing players to simply release before landing in front, even if they fall or continue stepping forward, would probably reduce the need to make fault calls.

I've suggested this for years around here. And was always met with some negativity. I'm glad people are finally seeing the need for something like this. Let players, jump, step, dance, all they want, but land in back of your lie before releasing the disc. Would definitely reduce the need to make fault calls, and also visibly much easier visually to do so if desired.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Par Member

Niced 149 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I am not sure it makes much difference in AM's, outside of a few high 900 and 1000 rated MA1 guys. I have seen very few effective jump or step putting in the AM ranks.
Challenge accepted!!

Niced: (2)
Old 10-23-2019, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,404 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
There is so much opportunity in the FPO field for a player to step up and dominate. Cat's mental game and putting are awful. Hokom is terrified of throwing a backhand. Paige throws OB constantly and lacks confidence in her forehand.

Kristin Tattar doesn't seem to have any glaring weaknesses like these, I'm very interested to see what she does next year.
This is the biggest swing-and-a-miss that I've seen in a long time.

A) Catrina won the tournament despite putting like a FA1 player in the final round, so that would prove that her mental game is strong, not weak. Mental fortitude =/= happy attitude. So many people mix those things up.

B) Hokom threw MULTIPLE backhands for the past two weeks and generally was highly successful with them. You could argue her patent pending BH turnover on #14 during the final round at HoF was THE shot that turned the tide.

C) Paige has plenty of confidence in her FH, that's not why those shots failed. She was playing ultra-aggressive (as is her typical style). If confidence + aggression was all you needed to win Simon Lizotte would never lose.

Sorry, I was there, and this narrative just does not fit whatsoever.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:10 PM
Par Member

Niced 137 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
I agree, although it's possible the RC might also consider changing the rule to where you can release your throw sometime before your foot steps in front of the lie even if it occurs after your supporting point has left the surface.
This would be interesting if it ever happened. If you are speaking of only putting, maybe there is a way to incorporate the idea.

My concern would be "release your throw...even if it occurs after your supporting point has left the surface" - this would seem to allow a player directly behind a large obstacle (Tree) to run perpendicular the the LOP and launch from a legal point behind their mark and while in the air wait to clear the obstacle (Tree) and then throw before landing.

I think plenty of players could run and jump 4-5 feet sideways and then throw a disc while in the air. Not too accurately, but just the gain in distance would be a positive to many verse having to just pitch out. Seems many situations could come into play...Just on the edge of the woods pinched with no line up the fairway at all on a long hole and you are 600FT away - run, plant, jump and CHUCK the disc as far as you can down the fairway. Same would go for if you are 60FT out and have no line to lay up at all, but just a few feet out of your reach it is open with nothing between you and the basket - run, plant, jump, TOSS your disc close to the basket.

When I first started playing I actually asked about this specifically. It seemed an easy out if I could just plant behind the marker, jump and throw mid-air. I was quickly and correctly told no and their slight laughter after my question prompted me to get a rule book ASAP.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:56 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,800 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
This would be interesting if it ever happened. If you are speaking of only putting, maybe there is a way to incorporate the idea.

My concern would be "release your throw...even if it occurs after your supporting point has left the surface" - this would seem to allow a player directly behind a large obstacle (Tree) to run perpendicular the the LOP and launch from a legal point behind their mark and while in the air wait to clear the obstacle (Tree) and then throw before landing.
I'm not sure allowing players to jump sideways should be a problem. It's more athletic and interesting to watch someone try to pull off a better throw from a less than ideal throwing position moving sideways in the air.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:32 PM
Par Member

Niced 137 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
I'm not sure allowing players to jump sideways should be a problem. It's more athletic and interesting to watch someone try to pull off a better throw from a less than ideal throwing position moving sideways in the air.
OK -agreed, it would be tremendously entertaining to watch. Disagree that it would be a good rule change.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:52 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,298 Times in 1,692 Posts

Quote:
But requiring players to land behind their lie after releasing before moving forward past it isn't a bad idea. But then, you have to also decide whether they need to maintain balance and make a judgment about that whereas allowing players to simply release before landing in front, even if they fall or continue stepping forward, would probably reduce the need to make fault calls.
I have advocated for some time that the forward foot should have to be on the ground behind the marker (or front of the tee) within the currently defined bounds when the disc comes out of the hand. That should cover everything from tee shots to putts within the circle.

Jump putts and step putts would be eliminated, but considering the infractions that happen on those plays and that they never are called by other players, I'd be perfectly fine with just eliminating them altogether.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:11 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 201 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post

A) Catrina won the tournament despite putting like a FA1 player in the final round, so that would prove that her mental game is strong, not weak. Mental fortitude =/= happy attitude. So many people mix those things up.
I believe this is incomplete. While I agree that mental fortitude is not equal to a happy attitude, I do not believe that Catrina's inside the circle putting reflects a strong mental game. There appear to be two Catrinas. On the tee, Catrina is a lion, and it takes a lion's courage, or mental fortitude, to fire shot after shot into the circle of uncertain putting. Inside the circle, there appears to be a different Catrina, at least as viewed from the comfort of my couch. There are some pretty simple fixes to her short putt mindset and mechanics. While these are pretty straightforward, they are not necessarily easy. This is where her champion's heart will really come in to play, and potentially allow her to grasp several more world championships.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 86
Niced 77 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Duvall View Post
I believe this is incomplete. While I agree that mental fortitude is not equal to a happy attitude, I do not believe that Catrina's inside the circle putting reflects a strong mental game. There appear to be two Catrinas. On the tee, Catrina is a lion, and it takes a lion's courage, or mental fortitude, to fire shot after shot into the circle of uncertain putting. Inside the circle, there appears to be a different Catrina, at least as viewed from the comfort of my couch. There are some pretty simple fixes to her short putt mindset and mechanics. While these are pretty straightforward, they are not necessarily easy. This is where her champion's heart will really come in to play, and potentially allow her to grasp several more world championships.
Is Innova signing Catrina?

Old 10-24-2019, 09:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 210 Times in 89 Posts

If anyone watched Catrina, I dont know how they could say she has strong mental fortitude near the basket. She clearly gave up taking any time to concentrate on her putts in the middle. She won the event despite herself. She wasnt missing like Drew was missing, she was missing because she thought it was over.