Old 12-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 340 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Thinking back, it seems he lost most of his strokes by flying 30+ past the basket.
A nose-up, flat-trajectory spin putt has a lot going for it, not the least is that the disc will go far with little effort.
OTOH, you'd better hit something, cause with his nose-up, flat-trajectory spin putt, an 'air-ball' is the same as 'air mail'.

A LOT of those strokes could have been prevented with a less 'glidey' neutral or nose-down spin putt, but then it wouldn't be "Simon doing Simon things" - CCDG
His putting game is really, really good tho
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 775 Times in 419 Posts

^when he's on, yeah. I wouldnt call him streaky, not that drastic, but like... 70% of the season he is a good putter. then 15% he is amazing, cannot miss. then 15% he just cannot.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-09-2019, 07:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,403 Times in 423 Posts

Simon is killing the vlog game.

The thing about him is, you can't just change his game, or it wouldn't be him. If you tried to police his risk strategy, basically what you'd be saying is, "I just want you for your physical skillset" and if you managed a brand like that you'd lose a player like Simon very quickly to another company.

Simon plays 100% authentically. He's not making payday and percentage calculations on shots like Sexton, and he's not motivated by trying to be seen as the best ever, a la McBeth. Simon is guided more by the emotion than the data, which is what endears him to so many, while simultaneously confusing others.

The point is, the seemingly-logical standpoint that says, "If he just played this way instead of that" will not make him better. It will make him quit.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 621 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post

The thing about him is, you can't just change his game, or it wouldn't be him. If you tried to police his risk strategy, basically what you'd be saying is, "I just want you for your physical skillset" and if you managed a brand like that you'd lose a player like Simon very quickly to another company.

Simon plays 100% authentically. He's not making payday and percentage calculations on shots like Sexton, and he's not motivated by trying to be seen as the best ever, a la McBeth. Simon is guided more by the emotion than the data, which is what endears him to so many, while simultaneously confusing others.

The point is, the seemingly-logical standpoint that says, "If he just played this way instead of that" will not make him better. It will make him quit.
I love that about him. He seems like a guy who just truly loves disc golf. And his vlogs are awesome. Talk about a fun, down to earth guy. Can you imagine a better person to bump into on a course? I watched one of his newer videos on our TV the other day and my 4 year old from the other room goes "is that Simon? I like watching Simon!" And came running out to watch.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.8
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,006 Times in 652 Posts

The only time I can remember having a legit emotional reaction to a missed putt was Simon's miss at Throw Down the Mountain. He crushed that drive and wanted the putt so bad. I really felt for him.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-10-2019, 02:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,577 Times in 2,409 Posts

Quote:

I don't think you would really have to "change" him to see improvement. Just keep him focused on the "easier" holes/putts and let him do his thing otherwise. As that vid shows, he sometimes drops a lot of shots in bunches and not necessarily on the harder holes. That hole at Jonesboro(I think) where he said he went bogey, double, triple comes to mind. Is it boredom, or just a natural tendency of people to lose focus a bit when the difficulty comes down slightly?

… and besides, he likes to have fun and thrill the crowd, right? What's more fun and entertaining than winning?

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 12-10-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,077 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
I tend to agree with this. I used to think Simon wanted to be the best player in the world and dominate the sport. After all he has been playing his entire life. But I think now as he approaches his 30s, he's content being a "sometimes stellar player", "sometimes trick shot master", "sometimes vlog guru". Some people just don't have the inner drive or can handle the pressure to even attempt to be the best. I would also guess Jussi has long term plans for Simon on the business end too.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,668 Times in 936 Posts

Never thought i would se Paul throw Discmania or Simon throw Discraft. . or that they even were allowed to do this

fun video
Old 12-14-2019, 01:09 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Never thought i would se Paul throw Discmania or Simon throw Discraft. . or that they even were allowed to do this

fun video
It really was. I'd love to see a full 18 next time or at least 9 holes.

Niced: (2)

Old 12-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 539 Times in 204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackaholic View Post
It really was. I'd love to see a full 18 next time or at least 9 holes.
Loved it. Funny and entertaining partly because they were being very relaxed and real.