Old 11-22-2019, 11:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 384 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
My footwork has gone to crap lately, partially due to ice and snow making it hard to really commit to using lower body to generate power. Today I decided to simplify footwork and just throw using the windmill drill...wow was the result great. I was reaching my mid-summer max distances, using just a single step. Granted I looked like a moron, waving the disc in the air above my head in a circle before throwing. But the result was fantastic. Definitely going to be working on this some more before I even think of re-intruding an X-step. If you haven't tried this drill yet, you're missing out.
I've been using the windmill drill for throwing in my last two rounds both for standstill and x-step. It is really helping with getting the rhythm correct and getting into the brace, especially for the x-step. I still need to get the coordination down better for the x-step but it is already feeling pretty natural.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-11-2019, 04:43 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 518 Times in 205 Posts

One of the biggest benefits that I see with the Windmill Drill, is that it helps you to go "toe down" then "heel down" and have the disc on the "heel down" still be at the top of the backswing or very near it.

It's so very common to see the toe down be the indicator of the disc coming forward, and the you end up catching a much weaker momentum wave.

The windmill itself (without throwing) lets you feel over and over the momentum wave. Staying connected to the momentum is regularly described by SW as the ball on the string, and we want to have that collapse of levers -> arc forward situated in time with the crest of that wave.

I was throwing some catch today and went back to this drill and was impressed by how quickly it helped me dial in really effortless power.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 45
Niced 632 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
It's so very common to see the toe down be the indicator of the disc coming forward, and the you end up catching a much weaker momentum wave..
When you say “disc coming forward”, is that relative to the ground or relative to your body?

In most big throwers, the disc begins moving forward relative to the ground at the moment their toes touch down. But does not move forward relative to their body until after the heal touches down.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:55 PM

Niced 19 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
One of the biggest benefits that I see with the Windmill Drill, is that it helps you to go "toe down" then "heel down" and have the disc on the "heel down" still be at the top of the backswing or very near it.

It's so very common to see the toe down be the indicator of the disc coming forward, and the you end up catching a much weaker momentum wave.

The windmill itself (without throwing) lets you feel over and over the momentum wave. Staying connected to the momentum is regularly described by SW as the ball on the string, and we want to have that collapse of levers -> arc forward situated in time with the crest of that wave.

I was throwing some catch today and went back to this drill and was impressed by how quickly it helped me dial in really effortless power.
I have a really, really, hard time with this. It's a struggle for me to overcome the instinct to throw as the heel is coming down.Even doing slow mo form it feels alien. Going to have to go to work on this drill.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:00 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 518 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
When you say “disc coming forward”, is that relative to the ground or relative to your body?

In most big throwers, the disc begins moving forward relative to the ground at the moment their toes touch down. But does not move forward relative to their body until after the heal touches down.
Good point, relative to the body.

The funny thing is how easy I can do this move like Sean Clement falling into/onto his plant leg at the top of the backswing for lefty swing, and how much work it took me to be able to commit to the front side at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: png eagle.png (140.1 KB, 207 views)

Niced: (2)
Old 12-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 384 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:

This is what I like about the windmill drill. I never could really feel the momentum with the "grandfather clock" pendulum swing. I'm still practicing and playing rounds using the "windmill throw" even for x-step. The only time it's a problem is from under a low branch.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,055 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Yep.

In Door Frame Drill you should have to release your hand to shift that last 1-2" into the front heel. Otherwise if you don't release your hand you should be hanging from the door frame with the heel still up.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,055 Times in 1,862 Posts

Old 12-13-2019, 06:00 AM

Niced 19 Times in 5 Posts

That gif makes it appear that the movement is a throw into the heel plant, rather than heel plant then into the throw. Just trying to make sure I get the interpretation right. I look like the gif, throwing into my heel but when I watch slow mo vids the heel comes down at full arm extension the the pull starts.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:25 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 54 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmuth View Post
That gif makes it appear that the movement is a throw into the heel plant, rather than heel plant then into the throw. Just trying to make sure I get the interpretation right. I look like the gif, throwing into my heel but when I watch slow mo vids the heel comes down at full arm extension the the pull starts.
You need to be balanced on the front leg before you swing, as you have use the weight into the ground to support you/brace yourself as you leverage throughout the swing out to the target.