Old 12-17-2019, 12:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 313 Times in 184 Posts
Default Gateway.....re-brand????

So, i briefly looked at gateways lineup and its all over the place. Im not sure how many discs sell ,outside of their putters.

So i was thinking, should Gateway rebrand itself and start fresh?

I say yes. I also think they have a prime opportunity to have a full eco-friendly lineup. They could be the first company to use sustainable and recycled products to produce ALL their plastics/rubbers. (Ocean plastics anyone?)

If they restructured/rebranded their lineup and used mostly eco-friendly materials, i feel it could be a big boost for them in todays society.

Idk if it could be done, but i would like to see it from someone and i think gateway is in a perfect position.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 12-17-2019, 12:26 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 136
Niced 2,881 Times in 1,043 Posts

Gateway will always be an amazing success story of a company making it up on the fly and getting away with it. To rebrand them implies they ever had a brand in the first place, and I wouldn't go that far. I think the entire business plan there is "I'm tired of running this construction gig, I think I'll try making Frisbee's instead." He's still trying and doing it well enough that he doesn't need another job. Success.

We look at Gateway as story of unrealized potential and try to make them seem like a failure, when in fact it's the slackers paradise. I've known at least a dozen people who jumped in there with the idea to introduce sound business principals and take Gateway to the next level, and they all walk away frustrated. The place is immune to sound business principals, yet there they are. They are still selling Frisbee's. It's amazing.

We should stop trying to change Gateway and marvel at what they are, because the fact that they are still around is an astounding tale of how to half-ass life and get away with it. They are a company that truly represents disc golf in every way, and we should learn to appreciate that.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,512 Times in 1,889 Posts

/thread

Old 12-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 82 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Gateway will always be an amazing success story of a company making it up on the fly and getting away with it. To rebrand them implies they ever had a brand in the first place, and I wouldn't go that far. I think the entire business plan there is "I'm tired of running this construction gig, I think I'll try making Frisbee's instead." He's still trying and doing it well enough that he doesn't need another job. Success.

We look at Gateway as story of unrealized potential and try to make them seem like a failure, when in fact it's the slackers paradise. I've known at least a dozen people who jumped in there with the idea to introduce sound business principals and take Gateway to the next level, and they all walk away frustrated. The place is immune to sound business principals, yet there they are. They are still selling Frisbee's. It's amazing.

We should stop trying to change Gateway and marvel at what they are, because the fact that they are still around is an astounding tale of how to half-ass life and get away with it. They are a company that truly represents disc golf in every way, and we should learn to appreciate that.
Post of the year?

Old 12-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 790 Times in 428 Posts

Reminds me of:

Quote:
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
-- Homer Simpson
Personally I would much rather "half-ass through life" doing fun stuff than being a "success" what with career and salary and fancy titles what have you. Currently I work at a bouldering gym, make peanuts, still make ends meet (lucky I have a career wife lol) and happy as a pig in ****. A similar job but with frisbees would be just as cool.

FWIW, I bag a Spirit, such a fun mad OS disc. Theres other mad OS discs out there but I just like these. Also because you cant get them in Finland, so its fun to mess with other players, when usually they have no idea what it is.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 146 Times in 75 Posts

Why re-brand? Just create a new label doing exactly what you described. Maybe have it run by somebody else besides the usual suspects at Gateway.

Kind of like a Discmania to Innova relationship, or MVP to Axiom or Streamline kind of thing.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 14
Niced 588 Times in 222 Posts

Yeah I like Gateway right where they are.

They let a 20 something year old come in with very little money... And create a disc golf line with mold pieces tooled to my design requirements.

Dave is crazy. But he's actually pretty awesome when he is in the mood.

I'm forever grateful for what he did for me and for my DG area. Tons of great courses he's designed.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,146 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
Yeah I like Gateway right where they are.

They let a 20 something year old come in with very little money... And create a disc golf line with mold pieces tooled to my design requirements.

Dave is crazy. But he's actually pretty awesome when he is in the mood.

I'm forever grateful for what he did for me and for my DG area. Tons of great courses he's designed.
As long as he keeps molding up Gilas for you I don’t really care what he does(those FAF fossil ones are straight $$$).
Old 12-17-2019, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,212 Times in 660 Posts

I really like the hemp blend. I'd try and find a spot in my bag if they went all recycled.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,512 Times in 1,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I really like the hemp blend. I'd try and find a spot in my bag if they went all recycled.
I've been meaning to pick up Hemp Magics...what's the skinny on the feel/stiffness?