Old 11-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 77 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
A lot of is is just how you like to throw.

The old big-diameter discs (think Scorpion) had to get some air under them to take advantage of the glide, so you threw them on a high line. Deep putters (which were always small diameter) also ride a high line, so back in the day we basically had a lot of high-line discs to throw (gross generalization but y'all yell when the posts get too long.)

The small-diameter drivers started to get popular in the late 90's, and they were less glide/more speed dependent discs that you could throw lower and harder. Once those became THE discs everybody was using (especially how popular flicking became at that point) a lot of the large diameter discs went away. The exception was the 21.7 cm mids. The Roc was pretty ingrained as what a mid should be by then and discs like the Spider/MRV didn't change that. So at that point we got to the 21.1-2 cm putter/21.7 cm mids/21.1-2 cm drivers generalization we have now.

Not all discs follow the script, the big one being the Buzzz. It's a low line/throw it hard disc with a 21.7 cm diameter.

Which takes me to the Gila. My arm is torn up and I can't throw anything hard, so I have not really been able to test that disc yet. However, the idea behind that disc was the Sentinel, and the Sentinel was always a disc that didn't follow the rule i.e. it was a low-line throw it hard disc with a 21.7 cm diameter. It was always noticeably faster than a Roc and not really known for having great glide. Given how flat the Gila is and what I have been able to get out of it, it's also a low-line speed disc despite the 21.7 cm diameter.

I tried to test out my new Gila yesterday but there was just too much snow/poor footing to get a good throw on anything. Seems to fly a lot like the hornet though, at least on shorter/lighter throws.

Do you think it is the lack of dome that make discs like the buzz and Gila not fit the script?
Do you have any examples, other than the spider, of low line fast mids? Diameter isn’t something I’ve paid attention to very much up until now.

Love to hear some of the history three put
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2017, 02:07 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,884 Times in 1,044 Posts

The small diameter mids for Innova were the Panther, Gator, Spider, Cro, Skeeter and Kite off of the top of my head. Glide goes along with understable as well as large diameter so a disc like the Kite is still going to glide. Gator/Cro/Spider were more along the lines of what I was talking about. The MRV/MRX are the only other small-diameter mids I'm familiar with but I'm sure there are more.

Now that Innova has the 3 discs, the 3 Mids are generally faster and do better on a lower line than the regular version of that disc. So I'm going to say the flat top/lack of dome probably has a lot to do with it. The 3 mids seemed like an attempt to copy the Discraft Buzzz/Meteor formula for mids.

The true mystery disc is the Wolf, which is both large diameter and understable yet still has no glide. Which goes to show it's all a gross generalization and you can find exceptions to anything.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 470 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
The small diameter mids for Innova were the Panther, Gator, Spider, Cro, Skeeter and Kite off of the top of my head. Glide goes along with understable as well as large diameter so a disc like the Kite is still going to glide. Gator/Cro/Spider were more along the lines of what I was talking about. The MRV/MRX are the only other small-diameter mids I'm familiar with but I'm sure there are more.

Now that Innova has the 3 discs, the 3 Mids are generally faster and do better on a lower line than the regular version of that disc. So I'm going to say the flat top/lack of dome probably has a lot to do with it. The 3 mids seemed like an attempt to copy the Discraft Buzzz/Meteor formula for mids.

The true mystery disc is the Wolf, which is both large diameter and understable yet still has no glide. Which goes to show it's all a gross generalization and you can find exceptions to anything.
The Wolf has the ThumbTrack. ThumbTrack = No Glide
Old 11-04-2017, 08:45 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 136
Niced 2,884 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
The Wolf has the ThumbTrack. ThumbTrack = No Glide
Interesting hypothesis. What do you base it on?

Niced: (1)
Old 12-21-2019, 02:13 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gateway Apex

Gateways newer distance driver, the Apex - (11.5/6/-1/2), has almost the same diameter as the Stalker but is a significantly faster disc. The stability definitely is affected from run to run but that is the nature of molding plastics. I still have yet to throw the Apex against a similar smaller diameter driver to see the differences.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:11 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 900 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Interesting hypothesis. What do you base it on?
Seems he or she is basing it on the Wolf, the Ryhno, the Pig as those seem to all have a 2 or lower in glide. Although the Discraft Ringer GT a thumbtrack type disc has a 4 glide same as the non GT counterpart.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 900 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxebrew View Post
I tried to test out my new Gila yesterday but there was just too much snow/poor footing to get a good throw on anything. Seems to fly a lot like the hornet though, at least on shorter/lighter throws.

Do you think it is the lack of dome that make discs like the buzz and Gila not fit the script?
Do you have any examples, other than the spider, of low line fast mids? Diameter isn’t something I’ve paid attention to very much up until now.

Love to hear some of the history three put
bold Other low line small diameter midrange discs are the Gator, Skeeter an odd disc that can do mostly every type of throw but not really one single shot does it excel at, kite, Rat a between putter and midrange or it is really an approach disc, and Cayman Some like the Cayman and Gator as well as the Hyzebomb Mortar are used as a chip/dump approach shot in disc golf. Then others like the Spider, Skeeter, and Rat are used more as short midrange stuff to approach shots for those who want to run it more at basket unlike those using Gator, Cayman, and Mortar . Last the Kite is basically a turnover type shot for those who can't do a forehand shot. Sorry I am forgetting other brands outside of Innova and Innova factory made brands but They do not really have the small diameter midrange that I can think of right off the bat.

Another Buzz like disc is the Truth/EMac Version.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 12-23-2019 at 06:29 PM.