Old 12-29-2019, 08:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 620 Times in 263 Posts

2019 achievements: I helped to resurrect Highbridge Hills Disc Golf Megaplex. I think we achieved our goals, first sanctioned events since 2007, three successful tournaments, opening up The Bear, cleaning up tons of trash, trimming and mowing neglected fairways, opened the campground, had a successful Furthur festival. We formed a strong team of dedicated hard working people to get us through this very difficult first year and carry us forward into the future. We created a lot of goodwill with local businesses and with county government.
I won three tournaments this year, improved my rating, finally broke 850 and kept rising, made a ton of new friends, helped grow the sport.

2020 goals: More of the same; six events scheduled so far including a Wisconsin Tour stop and the tour finale. Finish Chuck Kennedys' redesign of some of the Blueberry Hill and Gold holes, continue trimming out fairways and islands on The Bear, repair tee pads, improve walking paths, new benches, fix the road, mow, mow, mow. PLAY MORE! Keep working on my forehand, keep up with putting practice. Continue to improve my diet, more intermittent fasting, keep my weight, blood sugar and blood pressure down. Be kinder, gentler and more forgiving, keep my mouth shut (hah!) and my head down, work harder.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2019, 09:20 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 136
Niced 2,874 Times in 1,040 Posts

I set a goal of playing 30 different course/15 new-to-me courses; I hit 31/16 on Friday so that was cool.
I got concrete tees and tee signs approved for our 10 year-old local course that has somehow languished this long without them.

Get the tees and signs actually installed on our local course.
Get better baskets approved for our local course.
Play 30 different courses.
I haven't played two old favorites (Sioux Passage and Water Works) in 20 years, and that needs to end.
Instead of looking for new courses I'm going to focus on Missouri courses that I have really old reviews of and try to update all of those.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,695 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
2019 achievements: I helped to resurrect Highbridge Hills Disc Golf Megaplex. I think we achieved our goals, first sanctioned events since 2007, three successful tournaments, opening up The Bear, cleaning up tons of trash, trimming and mowing neglected fairways, opened the campground, had a successful Furthur festival. We formed a strong team of dedicated hard working people to get us through this very difficult first year and carry us forward into the future. We created a lot of goodwill with local businesses and with county government.
I'll hazard a guess that at this time last year, that wasn't anywhere near your "2019 goals", nor even remotely imaginable.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 145
Niced 329 Times in 142 Posts

2019 was a great resurrective year for me!

I more or less had given up on my serious playing career almost 15 years ago, even though my crazed love for the sport has always had a flame lit. I was happy playing casually with friends, just trying to score well there instead of at tournaments. I'd felt as if I'd never get beyond 300'.

Then I discovered Jomez, CCDG, Etc. in late 2018. I hadn't watched pros since following the final 9 at 2000 Worlds (and seeing Ken Climo raise both hands in the air to signify "10" after tapping in his last putt). Seeing it presented on YouTube professionally like this has reignited my passion for the game and I got out and worked on my perennial Achilles's heel: drives for power. After delving into Danny Lindahl and Simon Lizotte videos a little bit, I'm still throwing 300' but it's smoother and easier.

2019:

Played in my first singles event of any kind since 2006 (Frescura/Marwede's fundraiser at a nearby course) and I was the last to cash!

Ended my 12-year ace drought by hitting Texas Army Trail's #1 while on vacation. My previous ace was with a 9x KC Gazelle, for crying out loud.

Took my lawnmower to the vacant field behind my house and started practicing for the first time in a long time.

Showed up to a local putting league, and together with my partner, won the event! I've still got it!

My good buddy at Wild Haven erected a stage on Hole #2 and I played my guitar and sang in front of strangers for the first time in my life. I'm 46.

Learned how to throw a roller. Thank goodness for beaten-up DX Sidewinders!

Gave up putting with Innova Birdies like I have for years and years and have adopted the XT Aviar.

Learned how to dye Discs. It's fast becoming a favored indoor hobby, especially now that I've discovered worm dip!

My son (10) was bitten by the Disc Golf bug for the first time this year. He's pretty good for his age! And he's the opposite of me, all driving distance, no short game prowess. Yet. He legitimately beat me on a hole the other day for the first time too!

Learned how to step putt and jump putt. I love doing these!

2020:

I'm going to blow up my RHBH form and start all over. The goal by the end of the year is to get 350' with accuracy and smooth ease.

I'm going to dip my toes back into tournament-playing waters, renew my PDGA membership for the first time since '06, and play in a few am masters tournaments. My goal is to belong there and have a good time.

Another goal is to not lose my putting or my decent finesse game. I've heard some say who have blown up their form and gotten more distance that they lost some of the short stuff they used to be good at. I'm going to be stubborn and not let this happen. I LOVE putting.

I was a 930ish player in my young man heyday. I'd like to be that again at first and keep going. I don't see why I couldn't be 950. When I compare scores at courses to tournament rounds, I sometimes shoot 950-rated rounds, and that's with no power from the tee.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 101
Niced 173 Times in 90 Posts

2019 Achievements
-Won 3rd straight Putting League
-Won first B-Tier with biggest single cash - $525
-Personal best for most cash for a single season - $980

2020 Goals
-Win 4th straight Putting League
-Play more events (12+)
-Cash 1K+ for the season
-Pursue Infinite Discs for Team membership
Old 12-30-2019, 07:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 620 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'll hazard a guess that at this time last year, that wasn't anywhere near your "2019 goals", nor even remotely imaginable.
I've been thinking about that a lot lately. What a long strange trip it's been this year! Most rewarding experience of my life. I can't thank Mtn Man enough for allowing me to be a part of resurrecting HH.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:28 AM

Courses Played: 43
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

+ Got a chance to travel to Sweden and play at Järva.
+ Also travelled to Mijas, Spain to play discgolf.
+ After 8 years of playing, I started to regularly finish top3/10 in ama classes and no more dead last or second to last finishes.
+ Organized and hosted my first doubles event.

2020 goals

* Find my putting routine.
* Get my forehand game fixed.
* Play more pdga events.
* Travel more to new and old locations. Especially old, if Järva will survive and another visit to Mijas to play their brand new course designed by Seppo Paju.
* Attend or even play at Tyyni, spectate European open and European amateur open.
* Improve local park course, redesign and finish our new wooded course as part of club activity
* If there is time and reason, get more involved with club board or be part of it
* Plan and organize weekly doubles with harder/stricter hole rules as catch, it's meant to help others to get more familiar with various rules and formats of discgolf in relaxed doubles enviroment
* Plan and create proper suggestion for a new course on privately owned land (long-term planning)
* Help organize more local competition events

These are mostly my own goals for next years

Old 12-30-2019, 09:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 114 Times in 61 Posts

Significantly improved my putting
Learned to trust my FH and made it a regular part of my game

Finally get an ace
Get to 300' consistently and accurately
Push 350' max distance
Old 12-30-2019, 10:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,088 Times in 637 Posts

2019 is a year I'd like to forget.
2020 happy to be back playing disc golf.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 500 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
i have bigger goals of going camping along the north shore and chipping away at visiting all the state parks in mn
Minnesota's North Shore is one of my favorite places in the U.S. Population is basically 0 between Duluth and Grand Marais, which is awesome. Such a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle. I've heard it does actually get kinda busy in the summer, but I've always been an "off-season vacation" kind of guy and thus haven't been there in peak season.