Old 12-30-2019, 10:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 223
Niced 2,178 Times in 1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Minnesota's North Shore is one of my favorite places in the U.S. Population is basically 0 between Duluth and Grand Marais, which is awesome. Such a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle. I've heard it does actually get kinda busy in the summer, but I've always been an "off-season vacation" kind of guy and thus haven't been there in peak season.
my hopes are to get up there during off season times as well

any places you specifically would recommend or really liked
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2019, 10:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 500 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
my hopes are to get up there during off season times as well

any places you specifically would recommend or really liked
I've never camped up there, we always rent a cabin. Went with a crew that doesn't particularly like camping last time (plus we had an infant at the time), so a cabin worked perfect for us. We really liked staying in Tofte, since it is a super small town (population <200 IIRC) and is within 90 minutes of everything we'd want to do (state parks, day in Duluth, day in Grand Marais, etc). The only thing reason I'd stay more north than that is if we wanted to either spend more time in town at Grand Marais, or if we wanted to hit the boundary waters. I wouldn't want to be any further south either...south of there I think it's less pretty plus you get some more Twin Cities folks driving up for the weekend.

Tettegouche State Park was a favorite for most of us. If they allow camping, then that would be worth checking out for you. I've read some great things about camping on Isle Royale also, but personally I've never taken the ferry over there. It's on my wish list.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 66 Times in 27 Posts
Default Accomplishments & Goals

I've been playing most of my life, but 2019 was a real breakthrough year on the course.

2019:
+ Hit six aces to double my lifetime ace total
+ Played in my first ever tournament (and won the MA3 division!)
+ Set personal course-specific scoring records at nearly every course I played on a semi-regular basis
+ Significant accuracy improvements and better command of my discs in all phases of my game
+ Started occasionally (but repeatedly) recording double digit under par rounds at shorter/easier 18 hole courses when this used to be an extremely rare occurrence

2020 Goals:
+Become a PDGA member (I know, this is very easy to do, but I just haven't done it yet)
+ Play in at least 5 tournaments, with one or more being sanctioned events
+ Place in or win my division in a couple of them
+ Keep adding onto the ace total
+ Improve my putting to where I can be just about automatic from 20' and in, and improve my make rate from the outer reaches of circle 1 to around 50%
+ Improve my backhand to a level where it's reliable for more than upshots or sub-175' right to left teeshots (my forehand has carried my game for years)
+ Get better at the mental/concentration facet of the game - gotta stop kicking myself for airballing an easy putt and just move on - it's only one shot!

Old 12-30-2019, 02:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 223
Niced 2,178 Times in 1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I've never camped up there, we always rent a cabin. Went with a crew that doesn't particularly like camping last time (plus we had an infant at the time), so a cabin worked perfect for us. We really liked staying in Tofte, since it is a super small town (population <200 IIRC) and is within 90 minutes of everything we'd want to do (state parks, day in Duluth, day in Grand Marais, etc). The only thing reason I'd stay more north than that is if we wanted to either spend more time in town at Grand Marais, or if we wanted to hit the boundary waters. I wouldn't want to be any further south either...south of there I think it's less pretty plus you get some more Twin Cities folks driving up for the weekend.

Tettegouche State Park was a favorite for most of us. If they allow camping, then that would be worth checking out for you. I've read some great things about camping on Isle Royale also, but personally I've never taken the ferry over there. It's on my wish list.
tettegouche is on my wish list for the summer

thank you on the other insights as i am planning out some summer trips pretty soon so i can request off at work

thank you

Old 12-31-2019, 08:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 193
Niced 566 Times in 270 Posts

My goal for 2020 is to hopefully start throwing again soon. I was in a car accident right before Thanksgiving. I was on my way to work when someone waited till I got to the stop sign that they were sitting at then decided to pull out in front of me. There was nothing I could do but plow into him. He was driving F-250 and I was in a Focus. So my car got totaled and my ribs back and neck all got damaged. I was in so much pain that I couldn't lay down for a week, and that was with the opioids. I am in recovery and therapy now, but it has been no fun holiday season for me this year. I am seriously considering moving back to Michigan when I get better.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 193
Niced 566 Times in 270 Posts

I did accomplish some goals in 2019 before the accident. I made over 100 Florida courses played and knocked off all the wonderful new Lake County courses.

Happy New Year DGCR!

Old 12-31-2019, 10:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 420
Niced 862 Times in 305 Posts

- 2020 disc golf related goals -
Install my 8th and 9th basket in the backyard.
Do at least one disc golf roady with GMcAtee.
Throw with Mr. Butlertron in the panhandle.
Install tee signs at Oregon Park.
Play 45 new courses and 70 overall.
Throw my first course in Michigan.
Throw my first course Scandinavia.
Write my 450th review.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 170
Niced 141 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
My goal for 2020 is to hopefully start throwing again soon. I was in a car accident right before Thanksgiving. I was on my way to work when someone waited till I got to the stop sign that they were sitting at then decided to pull out in front of me. There was nothing I could do but plow into him. He was driving F-250 and I was in a Focus. So my car got totaled and my ribs back and neck all got damaged. I was in so much pain that I couldn't lay down for a week, and that was with the opioids. I am in recovery and therapy now, but it has been no fun holiday season for me this year. I am seriously considering moving back to Michigan when I get better.
Damn Man, that's a tough break!! Glad to hear you are recovering.
Be careful with that MI decision, gets pretty cold up there!!

Old 12-31-2019, 10:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 145
Niced 332 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
Speedy, healing powers are summoned from your Frisbee family! And welcome back to the great state of Michigan...

Old 12-31-2019, 10:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 145
Niced 332 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
- 2020 disc golf related goals -
Install my 8th and 9th basket in the backyard.
Do at least one disc golf roady with GMcAtee.
Throw with Mr. Butlertron in the panhandle.
Install tee signs at Oregon Park.
Play 45 new courses and 70 overall.
Throw my first course in Michigan.
Throw my first course Scandinavia.
Write my 450th review.
If you're going to hit Flip City and Ludington and all that, keep venturing north for more fun at Wild Haven. You won't regret it. Lots of elevation worked into the design, plus baskets are lit up for night play. Camping and fun times are encouraged. We have a band shell on hole #2 as of late last season and I imagine some jam sessions will be order for 2020, including a music/Disc festival on the Solstice is in the planning stages!