Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-28-2019, 11:27 AM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

I've been kind of driving myself nuts with this so I spent an hour at the fields yesterday I compared I 171 star shryke 168 star boss and A143 blizzard boss Surprisingly all really similar flight and distance the shrike was usually about 10' further than the boss and straighter and the blizzard was the winner just because it's a blizzard..and the surprisingly the most stable of the 3.. I then took the dreaded r pro boss I did A360 downwind throw which beat them all but you would expect that I guess...of course that disc is not useable at all without a tailwind except as a weird roller .. These throws were on a grass football field from behind the goal post through the other goalposts on angle... On a harder surface maybe i could throw a little differently and farther.. These disks all have fade for me and I have to flex them a little..wind was from side...
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2019, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 752 Times in 588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
I've been kind of driving myself nuts with this so I spent an hour at the fields yesterday I compared I 171 star shryke 168 star boss and A143 blizzard boss Surprisingly all really similar flight and distance the shrike was usually about 10' further than the boss and straighter and the blizzard was the winner just because it's a blizzard..and the surprisingly the most stable of the 3.. I then took the dreaded r pro boss I did A360 downwind throw which beat them all but you would expect that I guess...of course that disc is not useable at all without a tailwind except as a weird roller .. These throws were on a grass football field from behind the goal post through the other goalposts on angle... On a harder surface maybe i could throw a little differently and farther.. These disks all have fade for me and I have to flex them a little..wind was from side...
I generally hate throwing blizzard discs. Occasionally I'll mess around with them in the field though. Blizzard Bosses and Katanas are probably the longest things I've ever thrown. ZERO consistency, but every once in a while I'll get out near 500' with them. It'll be about 1 throw in 10 though. The other 9 will probably be hard flips and other useless throws. I also agree the wind conditions have to be optimal to get anything out of blizzard discs.

You're also right that some blizzard discs can be stubbornly overstable. I've thrown a few freak blizz Bosses that were beefy.

I'm at the point where I won't really say which disc is longest for me. Depending on the day, it could be any different number of molds. Shryke, Ballista, Lace, Katana, Vulcan, Knight. Generally I get the best distance out of fast, understable, glidey discs.

BTW, the Knight is worth a look. I had never thrown one until last weekend. Its freaking incredible. Its like a faster Ballista that doesn't have as much high speed turn. It'll do 450' less than 20' off the ground.

If I updated my list of longest drivers for 2019 the Knight would be in the top 3, let's put it that way.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:21 PM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Sounds good...I am ordering an mvp relativity..that sound interesting...I will see...hoping for glidy turnover with reliable fade..
Old 12-28-2019, 08:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 752 Times in 588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
Sounds good...I am ordering an mvp relativity..that sound interesting...I will see...hoping for glidy turnover with reliable fade..
I just threw one of those for the first time last weekend. Definitely flippy. Very long. I was touching 450' with the Relativity. The Knight was still beating it though.

Fade on the Relativity is a little dumpy... assuming it fades at all. Some of my shots bled right pretty much the whole flight. I need some more work with that disc. It was really long and wild for me. Reminded me of a Nuke SS.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:39 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 93 Times in 54 Posts

For me the Wraith hits the sweet spot for rim width and necessary arm speed to get it to fly as it should. The Sword is next in line.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:52 PM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

138 domey blizz katana..no headwind...100% mybest bomber..will end up right..everytime...and be a roller if not careful..but I have it pretty consistent..pro destroyer and star shryke next...shryke is growing on me and just as long as katana often...but will turn too much sometimes..still breaking in..all my bosses next...ballista pro..about the same...but can turn right too much sometimes unless hyzered... The y are all probly all within 20' of each other.. Except for the occasionals freaky katana ,or ballista cruise
Old 12-31-2019, 06:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

Axiom DELIRIUM, Mvp TELEPORT, Axiom TANTRUM - from OS to not as OS - all 3 crush bigtime.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 5
Niced 861 Times in 599 Posts

And from the noodle arm branch of the gyro camp.. Neutron Wave 155, Fission Photon 143g, Plasma Wave 155g. Less OS- least OS

The Wave/Wave combo has been real good to me. I can get great lines with the plasma, I feel like it offers a great control distance at my range.. 330' ish.. +/- 30' give me a little height advantage on the tee and I can push it pretty far on a gentle turnover.

Fission photon has been my Blizzard boss(?) Sort of disc. Tricky long, low-medium burn potential... not great in the wind, not bad but not what I will reach for if there's decent gusts.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 01-01-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 500 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
And from the noodle arm branch of the gyro camp.. Neutron Wave 155, Fission Photon 143g, Plasma Wave 155g. Less OS- least OS

The Wave/Wave combo has been real good to me. I can get great lines with the plasma, I feel like it offers a great control distance at my range.. 330' ish.. +/- 30' give me a little height advantage on the tee and I can push it pretty far on a gentle turnover.

Fission photon has been my Blizzard boss(?) Sort of disc. Tricky long, low-medium burn potential... not great in the wind, not bad but not what I will reach for if there's decent gusts.
I still love my Plasma Waves, too. I have been swapping my Neutron Vanish in the bag instead sometimes, depending on whether I want my tailwind driver to be straight (Wave) or understable (Vanish). I actually broke 400' on a freak "where did that come from?!?" tailwind throw with my Plasma Wave. That was my first time hitting 400' on flat ground. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to duplicate and most of my throws are still closer to your distance, 330' to 350'.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-01-2020, 02:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 799 Times in 430 Posts

2020 but the Pinnacle Rampage still kicks ass.