Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-30-2019, 10:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,095 Times in 579 Posts

I'll add that the Madison Walker Wraiths are reliably OS, flattish and grippy star plastic. They go far too, hopefully I'll be throwing them again come springtime.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2019, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,727 Times in 973 Posts

Hit the 100m stick that i had planted on the field with my 156g Wraith today. . so a 100m air shot, new PB

Tested a few other disc in the 155g range, The D3 Air did ok...but it did not beat the Wraith for pure distance a single time.
Hope to get my 165g Pro Wraith later this week. . the 175g Star i have is nice but not a distance disc for me

Niced: (1)
Old 12-31-2019, 10:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 757 Times in 589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Hit the 100m stick that i had planted on the field with my 156g Wraith today. . so a 100m air shot, new PB

Tested a few other disc in the 155g range, The D3 Air did ok...but it did not beat the Wraith for pure distance a single time.
Hope to get my 165g Pro Wraith later this week. . the 175g Star i have is nice but not a distance disc for me
D3 air is probably way too flippy to be consistent. I can get that disc over 400', but it takes a miracle throw. Most of the time the D3 air flips hard if you put any arm on it at all.

All things considered, a D3 is a much longer disc than a Wraith.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 32
Niced 677 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
D3 air is probably way too flippy to be consistent. I can get that disc over 400', but it takes a miracle throw. Most of the time the D3 air flips hard if you put any arm on it at all.

All things considered, a D3 is a much longer disc than a Wraith.
If you can get that D3 up to speed.

Last edited by Stable; 01-01-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 500 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post

I throw about the same as you on an average day, and I have tinkered infinitely with distance drivers. I've currently come to realize that Wraith-sized rims are my most consistent long flyers. I can get small increments of additional distance by throwing wider rims, but with a lot more inconsistency. These discs all feel nearly identical to a Wraith (regardless of whatever the numbers say), so if you're looking to complement your Wraith I recommend trying these too. They are really improving my distance driver game.

Wraith - consistently overstable for my arm speed, unless it's in G* or Pro plastic.
Trespass - flies like a perfectly beat in Wraith right out of the box. Similar to a Pro Wraith, although the Trespass comes out of the hand a touch faster and typically gets me about 10' more distance.
Wave - flies like a faster/longer Discmania FD, but feels like a low PLH Wraith
Vanish - even lower PLH than a Wave, excellent turnover driver and tailwind bomber
Old 01-01-2020, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,727 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I throw about the same as you on an average day, and I have tinkered infinitely with distance drivers. I've currently come to realize that Wraith-sized rims are my most consistent long flyers. I can get small increments of additional distance by throwing wider rims, but with a lot more inconsistency. These discs all feel nearly identical to a Wraith (regardless of whatever the numbers say), so if you're looking to complement your Wraith I recommend trying these too. They are really improving my distance driver game.

Wraith - consistently overstable for my arm speed, unless it's in G* or Pro plastic.
Trespass - flies like a perfectly beat in Wraith right out of the box. Similar to a Pro Wraith, although the Trespass comes out of the hand a touch faster and typically gets me about 10' more distance.
Wave - flies like a faster/longer Discmania FD, but feels like a low PLH Wraith
Vanish - even lower PLH than a Wave, excellent turnover driver and tailwind bomber
Trespass was one of my first drivers, had Biofuzion to lucid-x .....still like it but can get more distance out of the Wraith.
The Wave and Vanish I have kind of lack the glide of the Wraith.

I have tried SO many drivers, most of them are to stable for me and many are unpredictable US
For my preferred angle of release the Wraith flips up then have a slight turn and fade...it never flips over like many other drivers sometimes do
Old 01-01-2020, 03:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 73
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts

The trespass I've thrown is nowhere near the Wraith. Ok maybe not nowhere, but definitely not what I would compare to. The Wraith has better glide, slightly more high speed turn, and a little slower. A trespass for me threw like a lightly seasoned destroyer right out of the box with a little less glide. I tried it for a while but always went back to the Wraith.

I need to pick up a new Star Wraith. Right now I have a beat star that's been my go to driver for years. Then I also have a brand new gstar Wraith I'm loving. With a slight hyzer flip I can get a nice long s curve out of the gstar. The beat in Wraith takes a hefty hyzer angle and still pulls a long sweeping s curve.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 757 Times in 589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwAlbino View Post
The trespass I've thrown is nowhere near the Wraith. Ok maybe not nowhere, but definitely not what I would compare to. The Wraith has better glide, slightly more high speed turn, and a little slower. A trespass for me threw like a lightly seasoned destroyer right out of the box with a little less glide. I tried it for a while but always went back to the Wraith.

I need to pick up a new Star Wraith. Right now I have a beat star that's been my go to driver for years. Then I also have a brand new gstar Wraith I'm loving. With a slight hyzer flip I can get a nice long s curve out of the gstar. The beat in Wraith takes a hefty hyzer angle and still pulls a long sweeping s curve.
Trespasses for me are generally a speed faster and quite a bit longer than Wraiths. Trespasses have a longer flex and don't fade out nearly as soon as Wraiths. Nor do they fade as sharply.

I don't think the Wraith has better glide than a Trespass. They're about equal.

When choosing between the two, you basically have to decide what you want out of your shot. Do you want sheer distance, or do you want accuracy? Trespasses are wilder and longer. Wraiths aren't as flippy, and you're going to get a way more consistent/accurate flight.

You could actually bag both a Wraith and Trespass and find different uses for them.

Average ratings for me:

Wraith: 11, 5, -1, 3 - pretty standard. Those are the numbers printed on the disc.
Trespass: 12, 5, -2, 2 - more speed, high speed turn and not as much late fade as a Wraith.

Last edited by Twmccoy; 01-01-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 500 Times in 309 Posts

Yeah, I'm not saying the Trespass and Wraith fly the same. I'm saying they *feel* nearly the same, and have complementary flight paths. They coexist very nicely in a bag together. And while the Trespass flies slightly faster and Wraith slightly glidier, they have the same rim width.

For me, a Wraith is straight-to-fade in calm conditions. A Trespass is a max distance flight path with full turn and fade. I only get that flight path out of Pro Wraiths, and Trespasses typically go just a touch further for me than Pro Wraiths.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 73
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Trespasses for me are generally a speed faster and quite a bit longer than Wraiths. Trespasses have a longer flex and don't fade out nearly as soon as Wraiths. Nor do they fade as sharply.

I don't think the Wraith has better glide than a Trespass. They're about equal.

When choosing between the two, you basically have to decide what you want out of your shot. Do you want sheer distance, or do you want accuracy? Trespasses are wilder and longer. Wraiths aren't as flippy, and you're going to get a way more consistent/accurate flight.

You could actually bag both a Wraith and Trespass and find different uses for them.

Average ratings for me:

Wraith: 11, 5, -1, 3 - pretty standard. Those are the numbers printed on the disc.
Trespass: 12, 5, -2, 2 - more speed, high speed turn and not as much late fade as a Wraith.
It might be the difference in plastic or even run. I was given a lucid trespass and enforcer when I was buying bulk from DD and I only bag Star wraiths. I hear you on the LSS and speed but the HSS is definitely not a -2 from the one I've thrown. I got a really slow turn out of it and just slightly longer than the Wraith.
I really need to get to a flat open area to test some drives. At my local course the longest hole is downhill so it's hard to judge what I'm at now. It's the only hole I've thrown both discs side by side on. It's about 700 wide open. Probably a 20' drop over that 700'. The other longest hole is 400' so I can't compare on that one. The trespass I can release with a slight hyzer, it flips up to flat then barely tracks right and slowly fades to about 550 at max distance. If thrown slower It won't turn. The Wraith (gstar) I can release nearly flat and it will turn more than the trespass then crash harder at the end. It will go about 30' shorter on average but seems to be less height sensitive. My beat af Wraith will match the trespass on distance but it takes a really sweeping distance line to do it.

The forces in my bag take care of the trespass line so I don't bag it. I do really like the disc though, but I'm sticking to cycling forces.