Old 01-07-2020, 10:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,729 Times in 1,299 Posts

Speaking as a player/participant:
I'm not a fan of cashless pre-reg.

I find things simply run much quicker and smoother when the TD and staff already have that aspect of the event nailed down in advance because everyone's already paid. Having that major hurdle behind them allows them to focus on smaller details that help make an event more enjoyable.

And given the pace of play and length of many events, anything that reduces my time investment is welcome.

That's my $0.02.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2020, 05:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 131
Niced 811 Times in 364 Posts

I'm with Bogey on this one.

As somebody who often does Asst TD work and often gets stuck at the registration table it is a real drag to deal with cashless and walk ups. During our larger attended events I have pushed for two tables/workers for registration. Reward prepaid players with a quick check in, send them to the prepaid table to sign and date their card. All others to the other table and longer line as folks decide what division to play, trifle through their wallets and fill out the player card and sign up for ace pool and CTPs.

I understand the need to appeal to players for a bigger turnout so cashless prereg is often offered to allow them to hold their place. At some point as more players join and play tournies we may need to go to prepaid only model but for now we are still flexible at our own expense.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-07-2020, 06:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,362 Times in 963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post

As somebody who often does Asst TD work and often gets stuck at the registration table it is a real drag to deal with cashless and walk ups. During our larger attended events I have pushed for two tables/workers for registration. Reward prepaid players with a quick check in, send them to the prepaid table to sign and date their card. All others to the other table and longer line as folks decide what division to play, trifle through their wallets and fill out the player card and sign up for ace pool and CTPs.

I understand the need to appeal to players for a bigger turnout so cashless prereg is often offered to allow them to hold their place. At some point as more players join and play tournies we may need to go to prepaid only model but for now we are still flexible at our own expense.
What works for some events does not work for others. TD's should be the ones making those decisions regarding their events, not some blunt instrument blanket policy from above.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-07-2020, 08:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 72
Niced 295 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
I Reward prepaid players with a quick check in, send them to the prepaid table to sign and date their card. All others to the other table and longer line as folks decide what division to play, trifle through their wallets and fill out the player card and sign up for ace pool and CTPs.
We did that for a while too. Then the prepaid line was much longer than the walk-ups and we moved back to one line.

One thing we have done to speed checkin. We have one volunteer walking the line with player cards and giving them to the players to so we aren't looking for their cards when they get to the table.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,697 Times in 1,588 Posts

Quote:
I did that once and it worked pretty well.

We pre-fill with paid registrants now, so it's no longer an issue.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 131
Niced 811 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
What works for some events does not work for others. TD's should be the ones making those decisions regarding their events, not some blunt instrument blanket policy from above.
Agreed. Hopefully my post wasn't accidentally implying I was in favor of legislation of any kind for this. I like the way it is now giving the TDs/Clubs a little leeway on how best to fill their tournaments. Its just something we have been keeping an eye on so we can plan accordingly.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-08-2020, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Agreed. Hopefully my post wasn't accidentally implying I was in favor of legislation of any kind for this. I like the way it is now giving the TDs/Clubs a little leeway on how best to fill their tournaments. Its just something we have been keeping an eye on so we can plan accordingly.
I think there is a fairly good chance the Board shoots this policy down next week- we shall see.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:21 PM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 523
Niced 760 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
We did that for a while too. Then the prepaid line was much longer than the walk-ups and we moved back to one line.

One thing we have done to speed checkin. We have one volunteer walking the line with player cards and giving them to the players to so we aren't looking for their cards when they get to the table.
I do not understand: What is a player card? Why do you have to find it and why does the player have to date and sign it?

Around here, players are checked in on a printed check in sheet. There is an already loaded scoreport/leaderboard with all the players names and the scorecards have been prepared for each foursome in advance. Is a player card the leaderboard/scoreport card? Perhaps you all don't put the leaderboard card into the leaderboard until after everyone checks in? Maybe you don't use leaderboards?

To be clear, most events around here sell out in advance and leaderboards are set prior to check in with the scorecards printed up and ready to go. Minor changes may be made to leaderboard/scorecards at check in for players that canceled at the last minute and the replacements.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2020, 03:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,970 Times in 1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
I do not understand: What is a player card? Why do you have to find it and why does the player have to date and sign it?

Around here, players are checked in on a printed check in sheet. There is an already loaded scoreport/leaderboard with all the players names and the scorecards have been prepared for each foursome in advance. Is a player card the leaderboard/scoreport card? Perhaps you all don't put the leaderboard card into the leaderboard until after everyone checks in? Maybe you don't use leaderboards?

To be clear, most events around here sell out in advance and leaderboards are set prior to check in with the scorecards printed up and ready to go. Minor changes may be made to leaderboard/scorecards at check in for players that canceled at the last minute and the replacements.

Thanks
I had the same question about "player card". I wasn't sure what that referred to. If it is the leaderboard/scoreport card, maybe it contains the event waiver? I know when printing such cards from Disc Golf Scene, it gives an option to have a waiver printed on the card. I never use it because I print my waiver on the sign-in/check-in list. They or I will be searching that list for their name anyway, might as well have them sign that as a way of verifying they are present and checked in (and agree to waive liability).

In my experience, where the registration/check in line gets bogged down is usually player pack distribution. If it's shirts/hats with sizing concerns or a selection of discs where players want to paw through colors and/or weights, there needs to be a separate table/area for that to happen. As a TD, I don't want three people in front of me all trying to find just the right stamp/color/mold combo for them while preventing other players from getting to me. So I try to keep the line moving and let the cluster happen 15-20 feet away from the check in table.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

This may not be the case in all states but I have been told several times by several different lawyers (including one on the PDGA Board) that in the Commonwealth of Virginia there is no need for a player to sign a waiver regarding an event.